Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/12/2006 10:32:26 PM EDT

http://www.model1sales.com

Are these guys any good and do they use quality parts? I don't shit about AR-15s.

Here's what I'm looking to do:

1.) I want the ability to mount an EOtech to the flat top upper while still having open sights to use in case I take off the EOtech

2.)I want the 16'' M4 barrel chrome lined bore & chamber

3.) I'm interested is the gas block, but I'm not sure what that is.

4.) 4 rail hand guard

5.) The upper needs to be totally complete, "mount and shoot ready".

6.) Chambered in .223/5.56mm

7.) All chrome bolt carrier parts.

Would you guys help me piece one together that fits my needs?

Questions:

1.) What is the "NM" front sight?

2.) Why do they give the option to choose between 5.56 or .223 chamber? I assume that's just the stamp they'd put on the lower?

3.) What's the advantage of 1:9 rifling vs. 1:8 and vice versa? I have been curious about this for a long time and would like to learn.

4.) What's the difference between the A1 and A2 flash hider?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Rekced

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:46:36 PM EDT
They rock. Buy with confidence. Great customer service.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:49:17 PM EDT
An NM (National Match) front sight is a thinner accurate target blade sight post. A gas block take the place of the traditional front sight assembly and allows mounting of removable and/or folding front sights. The 1:7/1:8/1:9 rifling is a controversial topic and has a lot to do with what weight bullets you plan to shoot. You will want a 5.56mm chamber as it allows you to shoot more types of ammo unless you want to use it as a pure target or match rifle. A1 and A2 flash hider/ flash suppressors look almost identical and are what you see on 99% of military M16/M4 rifles. The A1 has ports all the way around its surface, the A2 has them all the way around except for the bottom. The A2 was made to reduce dust signature when firing from the prone position and/or to force the muzzle downwards during full auto fire. Hope this helps.

TS
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:54:28 PM EDT
Awesome. Thanks a lot guys.

This is the one I've pieced together so far:

16'' AR15 C.A.R. Upper Half, 5.56 NATO, chrome lined chamber & bore; 1-9 twist, A2 flashider; A3, steel gas block, flip front sight, removable CH, $160.00 option; Aluminum free float, black, $25.00 option; Chrome bolt carrier group & charging handle, $120.00 option

$640.00

Is that a good selection?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:55:32 PM EDT
Why do you want a chromed bolt?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:56:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 10:56:21 PM EDT by Rekced]

Originally Posted By ColSanders:

I thought it might be higher quality. Fill me in please! :)

I love this forum!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:57:06 PM EDT
www.ammo-oracle.com/

save the chrome stuff for bumpers and wheels not necessary for the bolt carrier group, money better spent elsewhere. just make sure the bolt carrier is "chrome lined".
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:01:36 PM EDT
Their uppers are generally quite good, but some people don't like them. Their quality has been excellent lately as far as I can tell, and they are a good bargain price. (If you are buying a full kit, then you should know that some people are not always happy with their lower parts kit - all the small pieces that go in the lower received). There are tons of other good outfits that sell uppers, many of whom can be found in the indrusty section here on ar15.com.

To your specific questions:

1. I assume that NM stands for "national match" sight, usually more adjustable or finer increments. Probably not necessary unless you will be shooting in matches.

2. There is a subtle difference between 5.56 and .223 chambers. If you plan to shoot surplus and military ammo in your rifle, you'll probably want the 5.56 chamber. Experts will undouibtedly chime in on this one.

3. lower twist rates - like 1:7 and 1:8 allow you to use heavier bullets than 69 grain. Some match shooters like the 70+ grain bullets. Regular military and surplus ammo is often 55gr, which will work in pretty much any barrel. The 1:9 is the most common twist, and can handle a wide range of ammo, but if you have a desire to use the heavier bullets you'll want the 1:8 twist

4. A1 and A2 flash supressors are pretty much the same thing, expect the A2 has a "closed" slot on the bottom, whereas the A1 is "open" all the way around. Subtle difference, and the A2 will limit a "dust signature" somewhat if you are shooting prone. Not a big deal, but the A2 is the more "modern" version.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:02:37 PM EDT
Scrap the chrome carrier...
IMO, get a flip-up BUIS instead...that way, you can keep/use eveything on the rifle
without having to deal with removing the CH.

Are they just YHM FF tubes?
Get one separately, and if you're in the C.O. area, I can install it for you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:03:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 11:04:04 PM EDT by DK-Prof]

Originally Posted By Rekced:
Awesome. Thanks a lot guys.

This is the one I've pieced together so far:

16'' AR15 C.A.R. Upper Half, 5.56 NATO, chrome lined chamber & bore; 1-9 twist, A2 flashider; A3, steel gas block, flip front sight, removable CH, $160.00 option; Aluminum free float, black, $25.00 option; Chrome bolt carrier group & charging handle, $120.00 option

$640.00

Is that a good selection?

I'm not 100% sure, but I do not think the free float tube you are describing there is the 4-rail version you mentioned in your first post, but rather just a smooth free-float tube, of the kind that are used on varmint rifles. (The $25 option is what makes me skeptical).
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:06:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rekced:

Originally Posted By ColSanders:

I thought it might be higher quality. Fill me in please! :)

I love this forum!

Chrome bolts are subject to hydrogen embrittlement which is not a good thing. I'd just get a regular bolt carrier group.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:09:44 PM EDT
The only questionable thing I see on your kit is the aluminum free float, being $25. That must be just a round aluminum free float (FF) handguard. It is only questionable if your are planning on mounting any accessories on it. I like chrome bolts and to a lesser extent bolt carriets. Chrome allows you to see any build up you might have missed while cleaning and the red Wolf sealant.

TS
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:16:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 11:16:58 PM EDT by Rekced]
Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

Here's my situation:

I have a Bushmaster AR-15 with all the parts I want except for the A3 upper/flat top. Mine is an M1 upper and while I do like it, I just have the urge to go with a system that will easily mount an optics setup like EOtech. That wasn't the original plan, but oh well.

Should I just swap out my A1 upper receiver and buy a stripped flat top receiver and mountable rear sight? I guess I don't need the carry handle.

What would you guys if you were in my position?

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:20:28 PM EDT
shot ya' an IM
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:22:20 PM EDT
Sell your upper on the EE and buy a new one on there. If it doesn't have to be Bushmaster, Stag is making a reasonably priced A3 upper.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:22:49 PM EDT
i always end up with new rifles
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:24:35 PM EDT
In your case just buy a flattop upper used from the equipment exchange. Find an OR member with vise blocks and wrench and swap the upper. Then sell yours back on the EE and you'll be out very little $ when it's all done.
Top Top