Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 5:26:08 AM EDT
Model 1 Sales advertises E.R. Shaw barrels, but does anyone happen to know who supplies their upper receivers and bolt groups?

Also, would I have any reason to believe their Shaw barrels are anything less that 4140 chrome-moly steel?

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont know who supplies their upper receivers and bolt groups but I built 2 rifles using only Model 1 sale stuff with no problems. I'm on my third as we speak!hug.gif

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently built an upper with their parts and had no problems at all. The flat top has t-markings and the finish is very nice and smooth.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
yup i got a  a3 upper with just a gas block and 16 incher at a gunshow in MI for $350 no bolt or charger though but i heard from a guy there you can get everything except a lower all parts FCG stock pistol grip springs ect ....
not chrome lined but who cares were not going swimming in the ocean with our weapons here (most of us at least lol) i have zero problems with mine if you are from Michigan check out WWW.migunshows.com find a show around you and go see the guys from ranger sales
hands down the best deals i have found so far!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I just Bought on gunbroker(seller sent the wrong one, long storyhref=A3 Upper with Model 1 Sales marking(M1S 1-9) the discription for the upper i recived says that it has a Bushmaster upper,  with E.R. Shaw barrel. The upper has a Cero Forge mark. i went to the Model 1 sales web sight and found that they use Shaw barrels in the upper that matches mine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
ftfindustries has struck again... They have burnt many people that same way, I assure you it was no accident...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
They are ER Shaw 4140 steel.  Our upper receivers are LAR or CMT.

srt205
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ftfindustries has struck again

basturds
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They are ER Shaw 4140 steel.  Our upper receivers are LAR or CMT.

srt205

Hmm... you say "our".  Are you some how affilitated with Model "1" Sales???

FWIW, the upper I got with my pistol kit appears identical to one that I have that is known to be CMT.

I'm more interested in lower parts, as well as bolt and carriers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's my experience with M1S:

The uppers are generally very good. They use the same types of upper receivers as Bushmaster, CMT, Colt and others. Their barrels are excellent as well. They are made by Shaw (or Wilson for SS).

Their bolts are of unknown source. They've had problems in the past with broken bolts, but I guess that depends on where they source them at the time. Their carriers vary also. They used to use AR-15 carriers that were a little rough, but now they have "enhanced" carriers with the slightly more meaty rear, and a fully shrouded firing pin. The major problem with M1S carriers are that the gas key is NOT staked on properly. Sometimes, not even screwed down tightly! Also, the screws that they use are of a softer material and they will break even with medium force on them. I snapped one trying to properly secure a gas-key. Talk about a pain in the ass to get it out. I bought DPMS replacement screws and there was a visual difference in the quality. Colt screws are even better than DMPS ones. These you can torque down and not worry about snapping them.

As for their lower parts. Their lower parts are a mixed bag. Many of their LPK's have hammers stamped "C" just like CMT and Colt. But they are not as smooth and refined. These have got to be rejects. You can feel the difference in trigger pull, it is quite large. The rest of the parts are fairly normal except for the BOLT CATCH. M1S has been plagued by crappy bolt catches. Either the hole is wrong size, or the material it is made of is crap. On a M1S that I've fired, the bolt catch showed extreme wear in the very first outing with the gun. The metal face of the bolt catch was GOUGED out by the bolt from merely releasing the bolt. Others have had these completely break. Whatever the case, these parts are pot-metal parts in my book. My Colt catch doesn't display not even 1/100th of the wear that this catch does, and tehe M1S catch was used only  once.

Butt stocks are fine. They are the same as anyone else's. Buffers are fine too. PG is the same. FH is the same. Charging handle is NOT the same. It falls a little towards the whimpy side. It is a little lighter and thinner in dimentions. Also, many of them have been measured to be slightly out of spec as to where it is suppose to catch onto the carrier.

If I had to go with M1S, their uppers are fine, less bolt/carrier and charging handle. I'd skip the lower parts kit, but the stocks are fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top