Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 2:58:00 PM EDT
I'm new to the forums and would like to start off by saying thanks to everyone for the great information contained here.

I ordered a 16'' AR15 C.A.R. Kit; 5.56 NATO; A3 Upper; Chrome moly, 1-9, A2 flashider; Collapsible CAR & grip, black; CAR handguard, black; Standard bolt carrier kit from Model 1 Sales a week ago today.  I received a confirmation via email of my order.  I still have not received the kit.  Is it just me or is this taking forever?  Luckily I ordered it COD.  Does this have anything to do with it taking so long to get here?

I went to the local gun show here in Ausin, TX and bought a RRA lower ($139 - my pick of four lowers the guy had) in anticipation of putting this thing together soon.  If the kit is not here by tomorrow I guess I'm going to call these guys and see what the hell is going on.  Anyone else received slow service from these guys?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you search there are many horror stories about model1  here, and a few good ones.  Ive been reading only a few weeks and have seen many posts regarding them.

Dchann

Model 1 Sales Post
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
i ordered my second kit from them on 0ctober 6 and I recieved it on the 14th I think. This was a 6.8 spc carbine, give them a couple more days.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I've ordered twice from them recently and it took about a week for both times (three times if you count the missing B/BC/CH they had to send me).

Isn't $139 a little high for a RRA lower? I know stuff is more expensive at the Saxet in Austin compared to shows in Dallas and Houston, but wow..
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
$139 didn't seem too bad to me because I got to hand pick from the receivers he had on hand (Tejas Gunwerks).  Also, if I ordered one for say $99 bucks on-line, I still would have to pay at least $20 for a FFL transfer and depending on who it was ordered from, shipping fees.  Not to mention the near impossible task of finding RRA stripped lowers in stock from any on-line dealers.

Thanks for your responses.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting, that same outfit quoted me $105 for the RRA lower. They were currently out of stock when I got that quote and I didn't want to pay $120 for DPMS or $150 for Eagle Arms . Then again, I was looking to buy five lowers so maybe he was giving me a bulk price.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I've ordered from M1s twice and both times I recieved the stuff at about a week + or - .
no complaints here.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered on a Thursday, called the next Wednesday and learned they were closed for the rest of the week. Called on Monday and learned that my kit shipped Friday (when they were closed).

So it took a week and a half to get a lightweight 16" CAR from them to UPS. Then another half a week to get it to me less than 600 miles away.

If I would've read this post before ordering, I would've gone with J&T. Last time I ordered from J&T was on a Tuesday the week before Knob Creek (a couple years ago), I had the kit Wednesday morning - less than 18 hours later. The hammer spring was fubared and they sent a new one which I had the next day.

I have a minor problem with the M1S kit on a DPMS lower in that the upper and lower don't align, so the pins are TIGHT - requiring a pin punch and a hammer for takedown.

The J&T kit also came with a couple extra small parts, which came in handy for this build since the M1S kit's takedown & pivot pin detent springs were the wrong size.

And $18 for shipping a lightweight kit was a little much.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Try

http://www.hdps.org/

Perhaps they can help out.

I've delt with Ed over there and I'd buy from him again.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Just ordered 20" standard upper half 5.56 chrome moly A2 and sutch on 10/13/04 and they never told me the shipping price.  I got an E-mail conformation and everything still no shipping price.  Is this normal? I need to know the total because I may need to deposit more money in the bank.  How much do you think shipping will be?  I guess I will expect it in about a week.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#10]
jtfd5510, I also didn't receive any shipping cost information.  What the hell?  Is that too much to ask?  A UPS tracking number would have also been a novel idea.  I'm going to give these guys a chance to deliver some quality goods before any real bashing.  I will keep everyone posted as to the quality of the parts whenever I get the kit.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just ordered 20" standard upper half 5.56 chrome moly A2 and sutch on 10/13/04 and they never told me the shipping price.  I got an E-mail conformation and everything still no shipping price.  Is this normal? I need to know the total because I may need to deposit more money in the bank.  How much do you think shipping will be?  I guess I will expect it in about a week.

If shipping didn't come out to $0.00 I would be very pissed in that case. If they don't tell me a shipping price when I order and then charge me shipping someones head is going to roll, one way or the other.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, for my second purchase, the S/H came out to be $18 for a 20" barrel and a 24" stainless kit. Both were packed in one box with the patented M1S mega-paper packing technique. I can't find my first purchase e-mail and M1S doesn't put a shipping invoice with the box so I dunno if that's the standard one-box price or if it varies based on other factors.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I ordered the 16" ss car kit w/ff tube from them on 9-27 , they shipped it on the 30th(that when cc was billed). and then it took ups till 10-8 to deliver it. shipping was $18.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Ordered an M4 kit from them on 9 Octtober and the kit arrived at my neighbors house 14 Ocotber.  Ihad it in hand the next day cause my neighbor had to bring it over.  Looks good so far.  I'll put a DPMS forged lower together tonight or tomorrow and then hopefully shoot it Wednesday.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:44:04 AM EDT
[#15]
be patient, i have ordered from them a few times and have had no problems, they are a tad slow to ship sometimes, and they were closed, you may have ordered it right before they were closed

you will get your kit, and it will go together great, and shoot fine, be happy man
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Everytime I have ordered a kit I got it the very next day.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I just ordered some parts and it took about a week. I placed my order on a Monday throught the website and received it on Friday. I did call on Tuesday to make sure thay got the order and when I asked when it would ship I was advised that it would ship within the next day or so. The person I spoke with said they were a liitle backed up with orders and running a few day behind. It was my first order with them so overall not to bad. I guess since the end of the ban they have been a little busy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#18]
So far I've ordered twice from them with no problems.
As for the ups tracking number I responded to the email notification I got and asked them to email me the tracker when it shipped and they did. Only took about a week or so to get it from the time I placed the order.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#19]
As for the ups tracking number I responded to the email notification I got and asked them to email me the tracker when it shipped and they did. Only took about a week or so to get it from the time I placed the order.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Just checked on a barrel I ordered on the 12th. The fellow stated they'd been taking a week and a half to two weeks
to get barrels out.  As impatient as I am that's still not too bad. I ordered some other stuff from Bushmaster and except
from  the initial conformation didn't here a peep.  When I called last Friday they said it would be delivered on the 20th.
Still no email from them even after asking  for one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Just checked on a barrel I ordered on the 12th. The fellow stated they'd been taking a week and a half to two weeks
to get barrels out.  As impatient as I am that's still not too bad. I ordered some other stuff from Bushmaster and except
from  the initial conformation didn't here a peep.  When I called last Friday they said it would be delivered on the 20th.
Still no email from them even after asking  for one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#23]
ok how did that  happen ?
I hit the button once and it popped up 3 times????
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay...I got the kit today.  The everything looks to be of good quality.  The ass kicker here is that the LPK is missing the takedown detent spring and pivot detent spring.    DAmn.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I just had to speak with them once on the phone and I knew there would be problems glad I didn't order anything from them. From what I have read they will eventualy make it right you just have to stay on them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Just to be fair to Model 1 Sales: I was wrong about missing lower parts.  I don't know what the hell I was thinking.  I got the lower parts kit out again today and lo and behold everything was present and accounted for.  By the way, the upper receiver, barrel etc. all look great.  This will be my first build and I will post some pics when I get it completed (and when my girlfriend gives back my camera).
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Word of advice:
When putting in the pivot pin spring and detent, get a sheet and some eye protection. Work with it under the sheet.

You may get lucky and not have a problem, but if you aren't that lucky that tiny little detent will only go as far as the sheet.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I just received a CAR kit form them. It took longer than normal thet were backed up. The wait is worth it. It took a little over a week.

In the past, it usually only takes about 3-4 days.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I have ordered 5 times from them. 3 times over the phone and 2 through email. The phone orders arrived in less than a week. The email orders took longer. Can't figure it out. I will continue to order from them, no hassle from me to pick up the phone. Great prices and great products.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#30]
ranger3-75, when were you in batt.?  I was Bco 93-96.  Thanks for the tip DsrtEgl50.  That's a pretty damn good idea.

RLTW
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#31]
austinrgr375, DsrtEgl50's idea of the sheet is a sound one. I had several people suggest it to me,
but I was a dumb-ass and didn't do it the first time (and launched the little bastards across the
room), luckily finding them on this carpet(!). I've also heard some guys suggest using the big
gallon-sized ZipLock bags for the same thing. Haven't tried that....

I've ordered from MS1 before several times, and never had any real problems, per se. I thought that
the $18 shipping for an A2 kit was a bit high, but, screw it, I have it, so... Also, with the A2 kit, I had
to buy a new pivot pin, as the hole that the detent 'snaps into when closed' was drilled offcenter of
the channel, so it wanted to sit crooked. Also, the pistol-grip screw had to be replaced, as the one
that they sent had an allen-wrench type head on it, and I damn sure didn't have an allen wrench
long enough to tighten it down. Ended up getting their replacements from J&T at the last Chantilly
show.

In the A2 kit, I'm not sure who made the barrel (though I've been told that Shaw's is the maker), as
there are no markings that I can find anywhere on it.

ETA: Word to the wise, as LonghornAR noted, they ship their parts wrapped all to hell & padded with
balled up paper, so you have to go through each paperwad to make sure that you don't accidently
toss out some of your parts.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#32]
For the detent pins there is a 2 pc tool set that is made just for it. However, on my first build after launching it several times I finally used a small allen wrench and a metal rod that I drilled a hole in. If you look at the special $10 tool you can figure it out and make one easy. I don't have the measurements as I am not in the US at this time.
Hope this helps someone.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#33]
86-87 A CO
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Ordered from M1S on 10-2-04 got the order comfirmation e-mail and then nothing for two weeks.
E-mailed them, took a couple of days to hear from them. They asked for full name and address to check against their records.  Sent info they requested, another couple of days pass another e-mail comes with UPS tracking #. Will be here in the morning. Looks like all they needed was a little nudge to get the ball rolling. Three weeks total time, but have waited to order for more than three years. Just happy to be getting a different upper for my AR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#35]
7 Days for me!!Half
They did not give me a tracking number or even tell me how much shipping will be.  Turned out to be $15.

I'm pleased with the service and it looks great.
Scott
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Has anyone ordered any full kits in the last week??  A friend of mine wanted one of their kits so I called and was talking to them  on the phone, they said it'd be 3 weeks before orders got shipped out due to increased demand from the aw ban sunset.  Has anyone else got that response from them?

~D~

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I ordered a XM177 kit from M1S over the phone. I had them install a YHM front handguard and asked for a 1913 gas block instead of the standard front sight. I get the stuff from them a week and a half later, and it had the standard front sight. I had to send it back to them on my own dime (they refuse to give out their UPS account number), which was supposed to be reimbursed, but has never appeared on my credit card. After another week, I get the upper back without the bolt carrier and charging handle. After a phone call, I got the stuff another 4 days later. Three weeks to get my stuff. A nice rifle, but not worth the aggravation.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Got my 6th order from them today. Orders for me have not taken any longer then 8 days to get.h
http://img86.exs.cx/img86/4993/CAR16Right.jpg

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#39]
order two weeks ago, email two day ago and said it was sent to build shop and would be shipped today. Called today it was shipped. This will be my 3rd and 4th build. Will continue to do business with them
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I ordered an M4 kit (16'' AR15 M-4 C.A.R. Kit, 5.56 NATO, chrome lined chamber & bore, with mods including Hogue FF) through the M1S website and they shipped immediately.  I had the kit sooner than expected and everything was as ordered.  They were also helpful when I called to confirm the configuration.  So far, I've had good luck with M1S.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#41]
UPDATE
Received it the next day as promised
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top