Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2004 10:59:57 AM EDT
I've read posts of guys saying that they have had great results w/ the kits from Model 1 Sales.  I am looking at a 16", 1/9 preban M4 chrome lined kit.   I was wondering if someone who's built one could tell me how it was?  Were all the parts of good quality?  Did you have to switch out any parts b/c they sucked (not b/c you prefer another type/style)?  Any experience w/ the A3 version and detachable carry handle they sell?  The M4 barrel is light weight under the handguard right?

I'm also looking to get a superlight CAR barrel too.  Has anybody got any experience w/ that barrel, good or bad?  Seems like the best price by far for a SL CAR barrel, so I was wondering if it was a case of "you get what you pay for"?

Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions; I really appreciate any advice people have to give.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I built  one exactly the same. I like it for the quality vs. $$$. The finish is kinda thin but the built is very tight on a RRA lower. The color doesn't quite match the current black oxide finish that everybody use now. Overall, I;m satisfied with this built abut I would prob. build a LMT or CMMG next time
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've read posts of guys saying that they have had great results w/ the kits from Model 1 Sales.  I am looking at a 16", 1/9 preban M4 chrome lined kit.   I was wondering if someone who's built one could tell me how it was?  Were all the parts of good quality?  Did you have to switch out any parts b/c they sucked (not b/c you prefer another type/style)?  Any experience w/ the A3 version and detachable carry handle they sell?  The M4 barrel is light weight under the handguard right?

I'm also looking to get a superlight CAR barrel too.  Has anybody got any experience w/ that barrel, good or bad?  Seems like the best price by far for a SL CAR barrel, so I was wondering if it was a case of "you get what you pay for"?

Sorry, I know it's a lot of questionshave

I've built 2 model 1 kits both on Olympic lowers.
1 was an M4 kit and the other was a varmint kit  and have been nothing but pleased with both.
The M4 had the standard A2 upper and the varmint had the A3 flat top.
The only problem I had was with the M4 becasue it had what we determined to be an almost invisible burr in the chamber that was causing the fired brass to stick.(we could find nothing else)
Took just a small amount of flitz polish on a cleaning patch the flushed it out and it funtions perfectly now.
Both rifles had good finishes on them and the quality for the price was definitely there.
The only change I made was installing a jard trigger group.Everything else interanl I left the same

With all that said , i would use one of their kits again and recommend them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
never have had a problem with a model 1 kit
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
... Quality may be OK but their shipping lags. Hope you're not in a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#5]
tagged
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
... Quality may be OK but their shipping lags. Hope you're not in a hurry.

Did you place your order online or over the phone? When I placed a phone order for a superlight barrel, my order arrived in three days (YMMV - obviously n=1 is not statistically significant).

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently placed an order for a 16" M4 kit and received it in 4 or 5 days.  It won't be fully assembled until the 13th, but the upper seems to function well, and the lower parts kit went into the Ameetec lower just fine.  The M4 stock looks pretty good also, though there do seem to be some hints of previous corrosion spots on the inside of the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]
If i bought one of the kits, are there any parts that dont come with it that are needed?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If i bought one of the kits, are there any parts that dont come with it that are needed?

The kits I bought came with every thing excet the stripped lower.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
good stuff
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I'll be the mixed bag here..

I placed an order for a M4 (post ban style) back in May... and after a LOOONG waiting time (about 10 days) I finally got the package and everything went smoothly...

no problems that time...(except for the almost 2 weeks waiting for shipping.)

I called today (09-01-04) and placed an order for another kit, everything goes fine, and the lady on the phone, although kinda short with me and not too friendly, places the order and the call ends.

I send an email asking if I could possibly get an invoice for my records emailed to me, and I was basically blown off...

I was told that they do not send invoices through the internet that were placed with phone orders, and that they do not ship to canada!!

HEY!

I live in the USA!

Vancouver, WASHINGTON

I've lived here for almost 10 years, and have NEVER had one person EVER tell me that they dont ship to canada when I give my address..

I'm kinda ticked... so I'm going to call tomorrow and make sure they dont cancel my order because of their ignorance with STATE NAMES.

duh!

-Jason
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:05:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
good stuff

+1 .  Got 5 kits from them.

556man
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've read posts of guys saying that they have had great results w/ the kits from Model 1 Sales.  I

I've got a 5.56mm 16" A2 carbine upper that I picked up at a show here in Ohio.  Not only has it been superbly reliable, but I've shot the highest offhand 200 yard scores with it that I've ever shot with a rifle.  I keep it as a self-defense gun, and caliber issues aside, I'd trust my life to it.  

Based on my experience, I can recommend Model 1 Sales products without reservation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#14]
If i buy the complete parts kit, it says it comes with a LESS stripped lower. what does that mean?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If i buy the complete parts kit, it says it comes with a LESS stripped lower. what does that mean?

means it does not come with the lower reciever. which needs a ffl to ship.. the lower reciever is what holds the firing group, pistol grip, buttstock and what the upper mates to
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If i buy the complete parts kit,  LESS stripped lower. what does that mean?

it means the lower is not included, you have to go to yoru local funshop and have them order your one. and fill out the paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I am happy with the kit I ordered and shipping was fairly quick. I think I was charged 18.00 for shipping charges, about what I would have expected.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#18]
From what I've read here the next one I'll probably build will be one of the 24" varmint barreled versions most likely in the 5.56.
Anybody built one of those ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top