Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 7:39:53 PM EDT
How would you rate the quality of Model 1 Sales uppers?

Are they better than brand XXX but not as good as brand YYY?
Maybe they are just POS?

I don't know so any input will be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used M1 Sales kits.  Some I've been happy with, and others...........well.....

I went with J&T Distributing for my 'no-ban' builds recently and was pleased.  We'll see how their customer service is now too since I have a few issues with my bill.

Have also helped my Dad build one with RRA stuff that turned out nice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:58:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 of their upper assemblies, and one barrel.  No problems with any of the items I have purchased from them.  I own an Armalite and DPMS factory rifle also, and the Model 1 stuff shoots just as well as the factory produced rifles.  For 300 yd plates, they all work fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:13:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, I hate to rag on J&T, but recently I purchased two LPKs from them.  After the ban, I sat down to start putting together a lower and found out both LPKs were missing parts.

I cannibalized what I could and called to let them know I'm sending one kit back and that I still needed a hammer spring.  I can understand one kit missing something, but two kits missing parts?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#4]
In my experience Model 1 is as good as anyone else.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In my experience Model 1 is as good as anyone else.

Maybe you havnt dealt with them enough.

They do have bad parts runs, but J&T has better quality in the msaller parts(Lower kits) which is essential for reliability since most companies seems to use the same sources for upper parts from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I used a Model 1 flat top upper and a Busmaster 20" barrel with a Olympic lower, they all run well together. I did find the upper and lower were tight to push the takdown pin in. I found the upper to be at fault and used a pin file to remove a couple of microns of aloy on the upper and touched it up with a black touchup pen.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Model-1 is a good, middle of the pack company.  I have built 3 rifles from their kits and all have turned out fine.  Customer service has been very good with the only real problem I had with any of the kits, a really bad zero/sight adjustment.  They fixed it fine.  Minor gripe is that they seem to put a lot of finish on some of their small parts so to get them to fit right (all the time) requires a little buffing, but this is part of the experience of building your own rifle, making sure evrything fits just so.  I will be buying another Model-1 kit in the not too distant future.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my M1S M4gery. Looked as good as the bushmaster n Olympic Arms I had around me. And definately shot every bit as good. I'll be buying another M1S upper for my next AR project.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#9]
So I guess they can be considered "decent" quality ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used two M1 supplied kits. The first has run flawlessly for over a year (no non-ammo malfs, no breakages etc.). The second, my M4gery post-sunset build, has ~200 rounds through it so far, and NOT ONE malfunction. I like them a great deal, and you can't argue with the prices.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got a chance to shoot my Model 1 kit today, and it shot great.  Looks decent, but the finish isn't very durable.  Went together pretty well, but the front detent pin & spring were *really* tight.  For the price hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#12]
After reading about all this detent pin madness and difficulty, mine went in in literally *ONE SECOND*, using no tools.

Sure, it was tight. I just put the spring in, put the detent pin on top, pushed it down enough so that the pin was started into the hole. Held it there with my finger nail till I put the take down pin on top of the detent pin, and used the takedown pin to ram the detent into the hole flush, then pushed the take down pin in and it clicked into place.

Maybe I have stronger, steadier fingers or I am more handy, or maybe my spring is weak. It was pretty stiff, I guess I just put it in and made no fuss of it. I think it was just easy for me. If you have shaky hands or bad vision and need glasses, perhaps I understand why it might be tricky.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#13]
My only gripe is that my 16" upper had a really bad point of aim, point of impact relationship.  I had to move the rear sight 2 clicks away from the rightmost adjustment stop in order to zero.   The groups it shot were great, just wasn't too pleased about having to have the sight all the way to the right.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:06:34 AM EDT
[#14]
MisterPX---
My JT kit did the same thing with the sights, I fuggure that if it zeros, no problem. I will never factor in wind drift on my sights any way.

cjklekar---

I had the same thing happen to the kit I bought last year. They had some badhelp at that time assembling LPKs, but they straightened out the problem at no cost to me. I havenothing but good things to say about their product and customer service.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I just sent my Model ! a2 upper back to them because of the sight alignment.  It was 6 clicks from all the way to the left and still shooting 3" to the right at 100 yards....the front sight base is also a little loose.

Scared the beejeebers out of the UPS store in troy Ohio!  Had the upper all boxed up sitting on the scale, then the question..."what is the description of the item"  to which I answered "It's a rifle part"

There were sirens and bells and the hot little redhead clerk took a step back and said  " I don't think that we can send gun parts."

Long story short, I told them they could, they said I had to go to a gun store, I said nope, not for  parts, only serialized recievers and complete firearms, then she got her boss who called UPS  who in turn told them that they could send the part.

My Favorite aprt of it was when the manager said it is to keep someone from sending many different parts to the same address so that  a gun could be made with all of the parts.  You would think someone in the shipping industry would be a little more aquainted with shipping regulations.  What ever...hopefully my upper will be back and I will be shooting again!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not happy with them.  I bought an upper from them and when I got it , I noticed that it had NM rear sights.  I called them and they told me that I should have ordered them with standard sights.  There is no option to opder standard sights and It doesn't say that NM sights are what it comes with.  I also noticed that the upper shoots very high.  I come to find out that  a flattop upper is supposed to have an FSB stamped "F".  Mine didn't come with that.  I have meanwhile, put 200 rounds through it so I can't return it.  I need to find a FSB stamped "F".  I guess that I should also ask anyone out there where I can get one.  I tried Bushmaster and cant find it..
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#17]
PA,

You just need to install a higher front sight post (.040 higher)... look around here, this was just discussed elsewhere.  This will allow you to sight your AR in correctly... the only thing I dislike is the post sticks up almost to the top of the "ears".

Bushmaster (among others) sells the higher front sight posts.  This is not just a Model 1 thing... almost all kits use A2 height front sight bases, not the Colt "F" FSBs.

Scot
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I ordered two "pre ban" fluted, stainless 16" flattop "kits" (complete, less stripped lower).

The service prior to the purchase was excellent.  I particularly liked the fact that he would install whatever handguard (I used the lightweight Yankee Hill rail) (which I don't have the tools or expertise to install) and he did not charge me extra.

I received the kits in about 4 to 5 days after ordering them.  The fit and finish is excellent.  I am very happy with my decision to use model1 (and I spent multiple hours trying to figure out exactly what I wanted and who to purchase from).
Howard
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I found the .040 taller post and will get one.  Now I just have to find the rear sight to relace the NM rear sight that came on it.  Is there a difference between standard and carry handle A2 sights.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Just put together a kit from Model 1 on a Forged Oly. lower. Everything fit perfect.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I JUST FINISHED A CAR KIT FROM MODEL 1 .
EVERYTHING WAS THERE, AND WENT TOGETHER IN LESS THE A HALF HOUR.
SHOT 200 RDS TODAY SIGHTING IT IN (NO MALFUNCTIONS),
BUT I TOO AM ONLY 3 CLICKS FROM THE FAR RIGHT SIDE.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top