Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2004 11:36:57 AM EDT
What is the quality of Model 1 sales uppers?  What kind of warranty do they have.

Once again....thanks for the help guys
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Search... search... search... search...

Link Posted: 12/27/2004 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey pyro.
Don't want to sound like a jerk cause I'm not trying to be.
use the search button and search for model 1 in subject field in all boards.
You'll find a lot of threads where this has been talked about.
You'll find reponses ranging from I hate them, they s*ck to I've never had any problems.
Seems different people have different luck with them.

Link Posted: 12/27/2004 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Like other said, use the search button BUT...

Here is my take, no reason to buy "unknown" type parts from Kit places anymore now that the internet pricing is out there. adcofirearms, eagle, rbprecision, cmmg. etc. you know what you get, the prices are in line with those "kit dealers".

Just not worth it to buy the unknown. Just another free .02.

Link Posted: 12/27/2004 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have done a search on it.  I am not statisfied with what I found though.  No where did I ever see what their warranty was like.  There was a lot of complaining about customer service, and a lot of buy a bushmaster  or RR instead.  The people who did coment on the quality either hated them or liked them.  Which sounds like a QC issue.  

So I just wanted to see if I could get some better quality responses.

ETA.  This is something I am considering for a trade.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
So......anyone know what thier warranty is?  I checked their web page and I didn't see anything.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So......anyone know what thier warranty is?  I checked their web page and I didn't see anything.

From the posts on this board, if you are unhappy with what you got (before you shoot it) They will take it back. So, when you first get it go over it and see if anything looks out of place, if not then it should run good. BTW almost all AR parts besides barrels are made by 4-5  different manufacturers anyway. Dont be suprised if you lower parts kit looks like a dpms or RRA, and you upper looks like a bushmaster or RRA or even DPMS. Most of the time, you are paying for the name.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Just as a testament, we ran a 7.5" pistol upper on full auto with zero problems yesterday.  Only did about 4 mags, but it still ran flawlessly.

Link Posted: 12/27/2004 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I have built many ARs with their parts with 0 problems.

Some people on this board have had problems.

Most people on this board just repeat hear-say.

M1 will take care of any problems you have.

Just listen to the people with personal experience (good or bad) to mak your decision.

BEWARE OF THE REPEATERS!
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had two model one uppers.  Both sucked...on the first they forgot to put the springs that hold the front sight post up while you adjust it.  On the second they forgot to put the pins that hold the front sight post.  Both required considerable tuning to include polishing the chamber.

The bolt carriers are a good bit lighter (less durable) than big name ones.  I have broken two model one extractors.  I would not purchase a modle one upper unless you have the time and the nohow to work on it.  It's really not worth the money saved.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I have purchased two MDL 1 uppers to date. The first was a 300 Whisper upper, it runs 100% and produces 1/4 MOA accuracy with both sub and supersonic loads. The second, was a Rem 6.8 SPC M4A3 upper. It also runs 100% with no problems and it also shoots 1/2 MOA or better. I have had great luck with MDL 1 products. As listed prior, beware of people that "Parrot" what they hear or read. Also you have to watch out for people who are in the pocket of other builders. This site has several of those. I dont think you can lose with MDL 1 products. Good luck with your next build.10TH Mountain Division Climb to Glory!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have purchased two MDL 1 uppers to date. The first was a 300 Whisper upper, it runs 100% and produces 1/4 MOA accuracy with both sub and supersonic loads. The second, was a Rem 6.8 SPC M4A3 upper. It also runs 100% with no problems and it also shoots 1/2 MOA or better. I have had great luck with MDL 1 products. As listed prior, beware of people that "Parrot" what they hear or read. Also you have to watch out for people who are in the pocket of other builders. This site has several of those. I dont think you can lose with MDL 1 products. Good luck with your next build.10TH Mountain Division Climb to Glory!

Fitting them in a hole smaller than the bullet itself.  That's impressive.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]
It is possible to shoot the above described group! To properly measure a group, shoot five shots, measure the extreme outside to outside measurement and then subtract 1 bullet diameter. This is benchrest 101.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It is possible to shoot the above described group! To properly measure a group, shoot five shots, measure the extreme outside to outside measurement and then subtract 1 bullet diameter. This is benchrest 101.

Thanks for that.  Now I know......................................
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Boisedarc, Thanks for giving the "Doomsayers" the Benchrest 101 course. I wish that I could post the photos, have not gone digital yet. I thought that this thread would be of help and shed light on the MDL 1 uppers. It seems that someone is waiting with baited breath to try to prove someone wrong. I only post facts that are first hand and give credit when credit is do. Well, enough said. As far as MDL 1 uppers, I stand by my post. Read all the information and make a good informed decision on your next purchase. I hope this information has been of use to someone preparing to build a rifle. Good luck10TH Mountain Division Climb to Glory!      
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have had two model one uppers.  Both sucked...on the first they forgot to put the springs that hold the front sight post up while you adjust it.  On the second they forgot to put the pins that hold the front sight post.  Both required considerable tuning to include polishing the chamber.

The bolt carriers are a good bit lighter (less durable) than big name ones.  I have broken two model one extractors.  I would not purchase a modle one upper unless you have the time and the nohow to work on it.  It's really not worth the money saved.

Why didnt you just ask for an exchange or return. Their barrels are made by Shaw. They (M1S) will give you a new one or a refund if you dont like it.

Too bad DPMS, RRA, Bushmaster, Colt, Armalite, and Stag all contract parts out (except barrels) to similar (if not the same) contractor(s).

Boo Fucking Hoo.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Why didnt you just ask for an exchange or return. Their barrels are made by Shaw. They (M1S) will give you a new one or a refund if you dont like it.

Too bad DPMS, RRA, Bushmaster, Colt, Armalite, and Stag all contract parts out (except barrels) to similar (if not the same) contractor(s).

Boo Fucking Hoo.

I believe I was asked an honest question, and gave an honest answer based on actual experience.  I have had issue with every model one product I have gotten.  Model one products are cheaper for a reason, I will only have them on guns I EXPECT to work on.

You said it yourself, you can't send it back having been fired.  Why would I send it back to polish the chamber? Why would I send it back to put sight post pins in?

If you've been all kinds of happy with your model one products why don't you tell us about it and STFU about my comments?

You sir are the troll

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boo Fucking Hoo.

I believe I was asked an honest question, and gave an honest answer based on actual experience.  I have had issue with every model one product I have gotten.  Model one products are cheaper for a reason, I will only have them on guns I EXPECT to work on.

You said it yourself, you can't send it back having been fired.  Why would I send it back to polish the chamber? Why would I send it back to put sight post pins in?

If you've been all kinds of happy with your model one products why don't you tell us about it and STFU about my comments?

You sir are the troll

Sorry, but if you dont notice that you are missing a spring from you FSB or that you dont have any pins drilled into your FSB then maybe should go back to middle school.

Their bolt carriers are made by subcontractors that make the same parts for everyone else. M1S makes no parts themselves. You have your facts mistaken.

They have no problem accepting returns. Do a search. Or call them-- what an Idea.

ETA: every mfg makes mistakes, screws up things. Hell look at LMT. Their lowers are out of spec, but they will take them back. ( Just like M1S) You come off like M1S said STFU and deal with it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I didn't come off like anything, I never even tried to send it back.  Why should when I could fix the problem myself?  I don't care who makes their parts, theirs are cheaper/lower quality than Colt's or BM's two other companies I have experience with.  The bolt carrier was an example, it is noticeably lighter and is missing part of the metal from underneath.  Thier assembly process quality control is also wose, as I have had two guns MISSING parts

Now that I've got them tuned I don't care.  It's worth the couple of hundred I saved, to me, because I allready had one top notch reliable AR.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I didn't come off like anything, I never even tried to send it back.  Why should when I could fix the problem myself?  I don't care who makes their parts, theirs are cheaper/lower quality than Colt's or BM's two other companies I have experience with.  The bolt carrier was an example, it is noticeably lighter and is missing part of the metal from underneath.  Thier assembly process quality control is also wose, as I have had two guns MISSING parts

Now that I've got them tuned I don't care.  It's worth the couple of hundred I saved, to me, because I allready had one top notch reliable AR.

LPK are all the same. True Colt makes different pin sizes, but J&T for sure has sold kits branded Colt that were identical to DPMS. People dont realize that a couple contractors make all the  AR parts in america. Barrels are different, BM Colt, Oly, LMT all make their own barrels. They do have a return policy that says that if you dont like it, you can return it.

How old was this Carrier? New one have the "enhanced " carrier that all the vendors are pimping. ADCO has a long article on how there is nothing enhanced at all. A little mor material is not going to make it extract any better or more reliable.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Ask that Vader guy what he thinks of them....... what the hell is that guys name?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:51:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Boisedarc, Thanks for giving the "Doomsayers" the Benchrest 101 course. I wish that I could post the photos, have not gone digital yet. I thought that this thread would be of help and shed light on the MDL 1 uppers. It seems that someone is waiting with baited breath to try to prove someone wrong. I only post facts that are first hand and give credit when credit is do. Well, enough said. As far as MDL 1 uppers, I stand by my post. Read all the information and make a good informed decision on your next purchase. I hope this information has been of use to someone preparing to build a rifle. Good luck10TH Mountain Division Climb to Glory!      

Ya, I really needed to know how to measure a group.

No offense intended, but I will ALWAYS be skeptical of people claiming groups with a semi-auto rifle that the majority of accurized bolt guns can't even achieve.  I certainly would believe it if I saw it in person, though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ask that Vader guy what he thinks of them....... what the hell is that guys name?

That was M&A Parts. That was funny though
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I had one of their pencil barrel kits, it worked perfectly out of the box, but I sold it because pencil barrels heat up too quick for my tastes.
It was very nice on the Cav Arms lower though, I wish I had a scale to see how light it was. :)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Trey, it really is too bad that Arf doesnt have a "jump in and act like an ass when somebody gives an honest opinion" award, because you would win.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a 7.62x39 Model One upper and a 6.8mm SPC Model One upper both are accurate and run great.  No problems with either.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#27]
First "Gucci Gear Couch Sniper" It was apparent that you did not know how to measure a group, as that is why we have posted the past few replys. And secondly, if you did not intend an offense, you should have kept your skepticism to yourself until proved differently. If you would believe it if you saw it, I believe in many things that I can't see. I don't tear down other men because they have taken the time to do the homework to complete a project. Thirdly, Bolt guns are able to produce great accuracy, also semi-auto guns are capable of great accuracy as well. My groups are not the best from a semi-auto by far. In the future you may want to think twice and post once, prior to asking for a large slice of crow pie. Lastly, As your srceen name lists, you may not want to stray far from the safety of your couch with all your tactical gucci gear, as you may have a serious tactical situation to resolve with your tactical television remote. Leave the other less serious things to do with others willing to do the homework to complete the tasks at hand. These threads are for information gathering. I hope that this kind of debate is a thing of the past. I shall remain more focused myself.10TH Mountain Division-Climb to Glory!        
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I made the trade.  I am so far happy with the quality.  I shot 120 rounds through it yesterday without a problem.  

Picture of the upper

I don't like the muzzle break.  I there is a small concusion from the muzzle blast.  I called Model 1 sales to see if I could have a phantom flash hider but on instead.  They said "You would destroy the barrel if you tried to take it off."  I realize it is a permently attached muzzle break, but I thought a compentent gunsmith could remove it and intall a different one.  Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
First "Gucci Gear Couch Sniper" It was apparent that you did not know how to measure a group, as that is why we have posted the past few replys. And secondly, if you did not intend an offense, you should have kept your skepticism to yourself until proved differently. If you would believe it if you saw it, I believe in many things that I can't see. I don't tear down other men because they have taken the time to do the homework to complete a project. Thirdly, Bolt guns are able to produce great accuracy, also semi-auto guns are capable of great accuracy as well. My groups are not the best from a semi-auto by far. In the future you may want to think twice and post once, prior to asking for a large slice of crow pie. Lastly, As your srceen name lists, you may not want to stray far from the safety of your couch with all your tactical gucci gear, as you may have a serious tactical situation to resolve with your tactical television remote. Leave the other less serious things to do with others willing to do the homework to complete the tasks at hand. These threads are for information gathering. I hope that this kind of debate is a thing of the past. I shall remain more focused myself.10TH Mountain Division-Climb to Glory!        

OK, I'm sowwy.  It won't happen again.

Hmmmmmmmm....................got that figured out, now how do I get the couch and TV mobile..................
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Pyro, You are correct. A good gunsmith could cut and rethread your barrel. The only trouble could be the OAL. You may have to use a longer flash hider and pin it in to maintain the legal OAL unless you go the SBR route. It would just depend on how MDL 1 attached the muzzle brake ie, thread or other method. If you cant find a good gunsmith in your area, send me a IM and I will forward you to a person that I use. That kind of thing can be done and returned in a week for under a 100 dollars. Hope this helps!Good Luck!10TH Mountain Division-Climb to Glory!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I THINK I have a Model 1 upper....

That is to say I recently made a trade for a 7.5" AR15 upper with the markings "M1S 1/9" on the barrel. I got the upper in a good deal though it didn't come with a bolt or carrier. The ONLY complaint I would have is the thin finish on the barrel and front sight, but this is a minor issue. The upper PERFORMS great and has yeilded better accuracy than I thought it would. I am using a Bushmaster bolt/carrier set-up with a E.G.R.E.S.S. upgrade on it which could be why I haven't seen the problems others have. IF this truly is a Model 1 upper, it's good to me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I'm sowwy.  It won't happen again.

tinypic.com/17yaz9

Hmmmmmmmm....................got that figured out, now how do I get the couch and TV mobile..................

WOW. Is that a NO BAN remote? What type of throw lever mount is that? Does it allow for volume changes from the prone position?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top