Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2004 10:52:29 AM EDT

What would happen to a chrome-lined barrel (308) if I were to shoot standard ammo and moly coated interchangeably?

I would like to try some RBCD loads but they are all moly coated.  Seems like I read it would gum up the barrel and make it difficult to clean.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]

What would you recommend if I like it and want to occasionally shoot the moly?  If all it takes is a mag full of copper jackets to clean the moly out, it doesn't sound like too bad a deal.  My plan would be to keep a mag full of the RBCD in my weapon for protection and still plink with my surplus.  At $2.00 a round, I don't see myself doing much target shooting with the RBCD.

I am trying to find a good personal defense load and it seems the 112 TFSP is perfect...I like the idea of a .30 cal round moving at 3600 fps and totally fragmenting upon impact with soft tissue.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Any ammonia based bore cleaner will take out the moly.  If you want to give the moly-coated bullets a fair shake, you should make sure that ALL of the copper is out of the bore.  If you have copper fouling in the barrel, you will never get the best or intended results from moly-coated bullets.

I have shot moly-coated bullets for years and I love it.  It is a pain to moly coat them but that is the only "down side" that I have seen.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top