Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2005 9:45:19 PM EDT
I found an ammo can that used to belong to my wife's father.  My wife said that he came home with it from the ship(Merchant Marine)  on one of his trips.

It is in a 50 cal ammo can.  It has been there for at least 10 years.  about 70% of the ammo is green tipped like the nato 62gr and half of it is just copper colored.   Some of the cases have some discoloration.
Any ideas????

I have shot some of it in a Mini 14 and some of it in my AR.  It seems to be about 2-3 MOA (AR), 6-12"(Mini 14) where Black hills is giving me .7" groups.  I probably have half a can of this stuff.  

Would you shoot it or throw it away?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:54:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Throw it away by shooting it up....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:57:29 AM EDT
[#3]
shoot it

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#4]
What does the headstamp say on the base?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#5]
What is mistery ammo?  Mister who?  I am confused.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
the green tip rounds have a small circle with a cross in it on the rim, some of them have the number 89 on them and another number that I don't remember.  

I can use it for blasting ammo or ammo to leave in a few mags for "who knows what".

I was told that it was AP but as we all know any FMJ ammo is AP for the most part.

Any ideas on what make it might be.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Jicky and cruze5 where are you located in KY.

I travel for work and am in Lexington.  I almost brought my AR to see if I could find a public range in the evening.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the green tip rounds have a small circle with a cross in it on the rim, some of them have the number 89 on them and another number that I don't remember.  

I can use it for blasting ammo or ammo to leave in a few mags for "who knows what".

I was told that it was AP but as we all know any FMJ ammo is AP for the most part.

Any ideas on what make it might be.  

You have NATO marked ammo made in 1989.  Green tip is SS109 bullet.  It is not classified as AP, even though it has a steel penetrator tip in the bullet.  Unknown make.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally, I would shoot the corroded rounds IF they were/are safe to fire.  I would then stash the rest away for a rainy day.  This is first rate mil-spec ammo.  People pay big money for this kind of ammo.

Buy some cheaper, newer ammo for plinking.  I have some LC 83 that I bought from a guy and it works really well.

Oh and FMJ isn't AP.  AP has some sort of insert that will defeat armor better then FMJ.  However, some FMJ does go through some anount of armor, although it is less then true AP rounds.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info.  I will load up a couple of mags and keep them in the truck for emergency use and store the rest.  I feel better that it is quality stuff, I didn't want to run junk through my gun that would cause problems.  

Thanks for the AP correction.  I thought that that might of been the round that had  a wire wrapped steel core.  When I was younger, a friend of mine had an AK and when he would shoot cap blocks or 4x4s we could sometimes find the core and it woulb be wire wrapped.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Just make sure that this ammo is sure fire if you plan to use it for self defense.  It's good ammo but it would not be on my nightstand for only one reason:  If it was ever stored improperly, it may not fire and that is unaccepatable in a defensive situation.

I would go with some 75 gr TAP or some black hills heavy bullets for self defense.  Just MO.  Good luck and good find.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I always keep a mag of black hills 68 grain Heavy match in the truck and within arms reach of the bed.

some of the rounds are green tip and some are just FMJ.  Both have a canalure

(102 rounds) green tip stuff is marked L C   89 with the nato cross/circle
(308 rounds) marked LC   84 with 4 indention marks.  

My assumption is that this is probably 5.56 and would not be safe to shoot in my 223 chambered AR.  

Is anyone interested in trade for this ammo.  I would like to trade for AR accessories?  

I also have a 3 rail tactical scope mount, scope mount, leaper 6x scope ( I know it is not popular but it did the job and still works) Burris 12x-24x-x 50mm spotting scope, if any of this sounds good to you, let me know what  you are interested in.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top