Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 5:12:27 PM EDT
Well, I guess I don't really know as much about AR economics as I thought.  Not having the money to buy a complete Colt flat-top, I planned to buy pieces of the carbine as I got more money to spend so I got the lower first (got a pretty good price) and then I'd get the upper.  Well,  I just lucked into some more money and I thought I should get my upper.  To my surprise, the total is going to be a hell of lot more than what it would have been to buy the complete carbine!!!  I thought $550 OTD for a complete lower was good and I thought it should be about the same for an upper but people are asking $900-1000!!!  Can someone explain this pricing to me.  Oh, and please don't tell me to get a another brand of AR - I got a RRA and an Olympic that I love.  I want a Colt.  Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
for $550 that lower better cook dinner, thats very high for a stock lower
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I want a Colt.

That is why your paying more. You paying for a name.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
And $900-1000 for a stock upper is VERY high as well. Look around the EE and you will find your upper at a decent price but it looks like you already got screwed on the lower.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, it's generally cheaper to buy a complete Colt then to try and piece one together. Colt's are funny that way (and I too found out that out the hard way). Any other brand can easily be pieced together cheaper then buying complete.

It can be done with a Colt but you need to be patient and spend a lot of time on the EE. I put together a non-SBR LE6921HB forgery for around $1100 using all new parts but it took a while and I cheated by using a CMT stock.

The quickest and easiest way would be to start with a MT6400C which can usually be found new for ~$900 and go from there
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I thought $550 OTD for a complete lower was good and I thought it should be about the same for an upper but people are asking $900-1000!!!  John

Did the guy at least give you a reach around when he fucked you on that lower?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought my lower from SAW for $440 OTD and bought a new upper off the EE for $425. The stock, Colt BCG and CH I bought new @CDNN and other dealers in the EE. I piece-mealed mine together but it came to same price as buying a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes, it's generally cheaper to buy a complete Colt then to try and piece one together. Colt's are funny that way (and I too found out that out the hard way). Any other brand can easily be pieced together cheaper then buying complete.

It can be done with a Colt but you need to be patient and spend a lot of time on the EE. I put together a non-SBR LE6921HB forgery for around $1100 using all new parts but it took a while and I cheated by using a CMT stock.

The quickest and easiest way would be to start with a MT6400C which can usually be found new for ~$900 and go from there

It's been a long time since I saw a NIB Colt AR for $900
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting that you guys are saying I got screwed on a NIB complete 6721 lower as when I asked about it when I got it a few weeks back, it was pretty much proclaimed "not a bad price."  Ah, the changing winds of AR15.com - got to love it.

I'm glad to see that Redbone got one together for about the same price as a complete carbine.  I'll guess I'll have to watch EE more closely because every other site I've seen is more expensive than the prices you guys are quoting for  NIB 6721 upper.

John
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're just not looking hard enough.  Look here.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Other than LEO sales, I've not seen a 6721 for less than $1150.  Again, maybe I should watch the EE more often.

John
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#11]

You're just not looking hard enough.  Look here.

Well I see $966 for a Colt Match Target M4 .223 Rem Rifle Semi-Auto Matte Black Finish 16.1" Barrel  Adjustable Sights and the famous Colt 9 Round Magazine.

A sear block included for not extra charge no doubt along with AWB compliant Muzzle Break, no baynet lug, I also noted that the "Available" field was blank.

Does it really have a collapsable stock or is that just a feature added for display purposes.  I only ask because the photo shows a collapsible stock but it's not listed as a feature.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Interesting that you guys are saying I got screwed on a NIB complete 6721 lower as when I asked about it when I got it a few weeks back, it was pretty much proclaimed "not a bad price."  Ah, the changing winds of AR15.com - got to love it.

John

Half of the people here have no idea what they are talking about.  Before you heed any input that you receive, you need to see if it is from someone who you trust.

I've never read a thread here recently where $500 for a lower was a good price.  I would have told you different.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]

I want a Colt.  Thanks!

Amen. I have others as well, but love my Colt. I was actually able to buy the parts on a budget - but had to keep a close eye on the EE. Just keep an eye out for a deal. If you have the tools it is often cheaper to part out the upper and assemble it yourself as opposed to buying a complete upper. Just my opinion however...

Good luck with your project and don't give up...
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#14]
The way I understand it, the more one pays for a Colt, the greater the buyer's pride of ownership.  At least that's what I gather.  Applies only to Colts, I'm told.

So the upshot is, then: Go for it John!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought $550 OTD for a complete lower was good and I thought it should be about the same for an upper but people are asking $900-1000!!!  John

Did the guy at least give you a reach around when he fucked you on that lower?

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's the link to the " not a bad price" post:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=234093

Hell, I don't know anybody on this thread, so consequently, I trust everybody.  If you guys are telling me a 6721 lower with a 4 pos. Colt stock for $550 (without having to pay tax or FFL fees) (and more importantly is paperless) is a royal screw, then I'll believe you.  Until the next post.  

But I own it and I'm not going to worry about it.  There is a 6721 complete upper on the EE right now for $699 plus $12 shipping.  That's the cheapest I've seen, but if you guys are going to tell me this is a royal screw too, then I'll believe you.  Until the next post.

John
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Check this out. http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6662728. It might fit your budget
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=234093 my new hobby

www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6662728

You got the HTML thing down pat! I tried but it just aint happening
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
John,

Hang in there. I also bought a new Colt 6721 lower without stock for about $470 at my local dealer a couple of months ago. I won't be getting the same model upper for it, instead I'll build a custom upper using my Colt M4 upper receiver and a custom barrel. I expect this project to cost more than the factory model because I'm adding custom parts to it.

My other Colt A2 20-inch Gov't profile rifle project turned out about the same as the MT6601C Match Target HBAR cost. I got a Colt M16A2 upper, Colt bolt group and Colt Match Target HBAR lower. My advantage in my build are the A2 flash suppressor and bayonet lug are already in which I have to add if I bought the complete MT6601C rifle. My version is Gov't profile, 1/7 twist and chromed bore barrel which I prefer.

Keep on looking for a good deal, I hope the prices goes down soon.

ETA: fixed typos
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#21]
The market is flooded w/ 6721's & 6920's right now as well as the 6450 9mm

All of which can be had right now for $1150 - 1200 complete brand new rifles in the box.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Pretty hard to get a new complete COLT LE lower for less than 450 unless I've missed a lot of good deals on the EE.
When you consider that rguns, ky imports sell match tgt lowers for around 440 w/ M4 stock, paying the extra for the LE mark is up to you.
Complete uppers go for around 500-850 EE depends on what ya want M4 uppers are going to cost more.

Your better off buying one in the box for a little more resale value anyhow
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:11:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Well, I guess I don't really know as much about AR economics as I thought.  Not having the money to buy a complete Colt flat-top, I planned to buy pieces of the carbine as I got more money to spend so I got the lower first (got a pretty good price) and then I'd get the upper.  Well,  I just lucked into some more money and I thought I should get my upper.  To my surprise, the total is going to be a hell of lot more than what it would have been to buy the complete carbine!!!  I thought $550 OTD for a complete lower was good and I thought it should be about the same for an upper but people are asking $900-1000!!!  Can someone explain this pricing to me.  Oh, and please don't tell me to get a another brand of AR - I got a RRA and an Olympic that I love.  I want a Colt.  Thanks!

John

Most of us use CLP for lube, but for that price it looks like you should be using KY
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:52:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Here's the link to the " not a bad price" post:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=234093

Hell, I don't know anybody on this thread, so consequently, I trust everybody.  If you guys are telling me a 6721 lower with a 4 pos. Colt stock for $550 (without having to pay tax or FFL fees) (and more importantly is paperless) is a royal screw, then I'll believe you.  Until the next post.  

But I own it and I'm not going to worry about it.  There is a 6721 complete upper on the EE right now for $699 plus $12 shipping.  That's the cheapest I've seen, but if you guys are going to tell me this is a royal screw too, then I'll believe you.  Until the next post.

John

John,

You have to consider a few different things here...

First off, you read too much into the replies in that last thread. Here is my direct quote...

The "internet store" _Dr mentioned wants $500 for a LE6721 Lower with Colt 4-pos M4 SOCOM stock. Add to that shipping and FFL fees. So compared to that then yes, $550 is not a complete ripoff for a FTF deal.

I was hoping you would read between the lines. We were comparing your price to SAW Sales price which is one of the most expensive places to buy Colt parts but unfortunately, one of the few places to buy Colt parts. I refereed to it as being "Not a complete ripoff" which I assumed you would realize meant it wasn't anything to write home about either. (BTW - SAW charges $550 for what you bought now too and then you need to factor in shipping charges and FFL fees.)

When comparing prices, you have to compare apple to apples. I was comparing your price to what other Colt LEO lowers are going for which is what I (maybe mistakenly?) assumed you specifically wanted? I would like any of these guys telling you that you got ripped off to find another brand new, factory built, complete with factory stock, Colt LE6721 lower for much less then $500?

I think what's confusing the issue for you now is all these guy here talking about how badly you got ripped of. The reason they are saying that isn't because you paid too much for what you bought but because they are comparing what you paid against what you would expect to pay for any other brand's factory built lower. A BM or RRA, etc. factory built lower with collapsible stock generally run between $250 and $350. If you build it yourself, you can save even more.

On a purely functional level, it's almost impossible to justify the extra $200-$300 for a "Colt" LEO lower but not every body buys things purely for functional reasons. You just have to remember\realize, if you want a Colt then right, wrong or indifferent, you are going to have to pay more for it. Only you can say if it's worth it or not but in todays market, you did not drastically over pay for what you got.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I really don't think you got raped on the lower deal. SAW sells many lowers and if they're $550 + tax, you still saved money. Maybe you can buy a CMT or LMT upper and throw on a Colt M4 barrel for a feww bucks cheaper?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I appreciate all the replies, both the nice and the not so nice.  Colts are what they are and either you think they are worth it or you don't.  I obviously fall in the latter group.  There's a gun show this weekend - maybe I'll find a Colt 6721 upper for a price I can live with, or not.  Either way, I'll continue to live and learn with the great folks on ar15.com.

John
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I appreciate all the replies, both the nice and the not so nice.  Colts are what they are and either you think they are worth it or you don't.  I obviously fall in the latter group.  There's a gun show this weekend - maybe I'll find a Colt 6721 upper for a price I can live with, or not.  Either way, I'll continue to live and learn with the great folks on ar15.com.

John

I am in the latter group also.
I think it would be better to keep it all Colt. However you have to do it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top