Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/19/2006 5:17:39 PM EDT
Question for all Ammo buffs:

I just purchased a DPMS Panther in .308 and I had the vendor (not DPMS) replace the factory trigger with a JP trigger. The gun (actually it's the light match trigger) is having problems striking the primers hard (or deeply) enough to fire my surplus (Lake City and Radway Green) and commercial brands of ammo (I've tried Federal and Black Hills match so far).

I've heard that Hornady has very soft primers that might solve my current woes until I either fix the JP trigger (by sending it back to the vendor who installed it) or have him replace it with some other match trigger that won't have this unanticipated problem. In the past, I've had a couple of single stage JP triggers like this one installed on my .223 AR15s and they all functioned flawlessly. That's why I was expecting similar perfection with the AR's bigger brother in .308 caliber.

So my question is as follows:

Does .308 Hornady ammunition really have softer primers than, say, Federal and Black Hills? If so, which company sells bulk Hornady at the lowest price (since I want at least 500 rounds of match ammo for either Federal, Black Hills, or Hornady, anyway)? So far, the cheapest I've found is 20rds of Hornady 308 Win Match, 168gr BTHP Moly at $16.75 ($418.75 per 500).

If Hornady doesn't have softer primers than Federal and Black Hills, can you recommend a high quality brand of commercial match ammo that does? I'd also like a soft primer surplus grade of ammo for range work but from what I've been told, military primers are always very hard. Reloading's not an option right now.

Also, has anyone else experienced this particular problem with JP triggers misfiring .308 ammo? I'm wondering whether it's some fundamental design flaw in the trigger combined with my particular type of gun or a small mistake was made during installation. It would have been very easy to overlook, as the gun successfully fires about 80-90% of the time.

Thanks for any much needed assistance,

JD
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:57:03 PM EDT
Hornady, Federal, and Black Hills all use commercial primers, which will all have a similar hardness of the cup.

NATO surplus ammunition will typically use a harder primer, to reduce the chance of a slam fire when used in machineguns.

Any commercial round should fire fine in that weapon. If it doesnt, the trigger is defective.

My AR10 with a match 2-stage lights off any NATO surplus I have tried in it, without issue.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:55:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Hornady, Federal, and Black Hills all use commercial primers, which will all have a similar hardness of the cup.

NATO surplus ammunition will typically use a harder primer, to reduce the chance of a slam fire when used in machineguns.

Any commercial round should fire fine in that weapon. If it doesnt, the trigger is defective.

My AR10 with a match 2-stage lights off any NATO surplus I have tried in it, without issue.

+1 Take the rifle back and have them fix the problem.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:01:22 PM EDT
Intentially using soft primers in an autoloader with a free floating firing pin is not a real good idea.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:33:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ar-wrench:
Intentially using soft primers in an autoloader with a free floating firing pin is not a real good idea.

Uhhh, I cant speak for the DPMS, however the AR10 does NOT have a free floating pin.
Top Top