Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 10:07:01 AM EST
Unlikely that it will stay at ONE build forever lol but I figured I'd ask.

I figure some form of upper receiver fixture or barrel extension fixture is the first requirement (which one), followed by a vise or vise like fixture.

What 'other' tools can typically serve the same function as a specialty tool?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:08:52 AM EST
A good punch set; hammer with poly head, torque wrench, vise, upper and lower receiver fixtures, a bottle of loctite blue and a stock wrench. NO DREMEL NEEDED.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:59:36 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Black-Tiger:
A good punch set; hammer with poly head, torque wrench, vise, upper and lower receiver fixtures, a bottle of loctite blue and a stock wrench. NO DREMEL NEEDED.
View Quote

I use everything bolded. Everything else makes life easier but isn't absolutely required. I'm no expert, but it works for me. With that said, I do have everything else minus the loctite.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:06:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By Carolina_K:

I use everything bolded. Everything else makes life easier but isn't absolutely required. I'm no expert, but it works for me. With that said, I do have everything else minus the loctite.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Can I ask how you tighten the barrel nut without the fixtures and the vise? Just curious as I haven't seen a build done without those.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:07:39 PM EST
I have done builds with a vise and without. The ones without i just laid on a table and had someone hold the receiver and tightened it with a barrel nut wrench until snug then loosen and tighten a few times till the next hole on the barrel nut lines up with the receiver. The torque range is just specified for a military manual purpose. If you tighten it by hand you will still fall in the same range. I would not suggest this to someone that is not mechanically inclined however.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:54:50 PM EST
or if you have acces to a vise you just need some wood. it can be done but the clamshell kit is only 30 bucks
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:47:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By sanausnol:

Can I ask how you tighten the barrel nut without the fixtures and the vise? Just curious as I haven't seen a build done without those.
View All Quotes

I've found myself in a couple interesting positions doing barrel nuts, I usually wind up using my knees and some moleskin cloth, or a table and a friend. Easiest way? Nope. I tend to like taking the hard route.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:14:24 PM EST
You could probably do without a stock wrench. A strap wrench will work just as well, and can be used for other purposes. And a regular wrench will tighten down any A2 style stock. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:24:01 PM EST

I've found myself in a couple interesting positions doing barrel nuts, I usually wind up using my knees and some moleskin cloth, or a table and a friend. Easiest way? Nope. I tend to like taking the hard route.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the replies on that guys, never even thought about doing it without a vise and the fixtures but I guess that does make sense!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:33:33 PM EST
No way would I do a build I plan to use without a vise and barrel nut wrench (armorers wrench). Maybe a mock up to see what it all looks like, but there is a torque spec for a reason.
Top Top