Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2013 11:07:01 AM EDT
Unlikely that it will stay at ONE build forever lol but I figured I'd ask.

I figure some form of upper receiver fixture or barrel extension fixture is the first requirement (which one), followed by a vise or vise like fixture.

What 'other' tools can typically serve the same function as a specialty tool?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#1]
A good punch set; hammer with poly head, torque wrench, vise, upper and lower receiver fixtures, a bottle of loctite blue and a stock wrench. NO DREMEL NEEDED.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good punch set; hammer with poly head, torque wrench, vise, upper and lower receiver fixtures, a bottle of loctite blue and a stock wrench. NO DREMEL NEEDED.
View Quote

I use everything bolded.  Everything else makes life easier but isn't absolutely required.  I'm no expert, but it works for me.  With that said, I do have everything else minus the loctite.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I use everything bolded.  Everything else makes life easier but isn't absolutely required.  I'm no expert, but it works for me.  With that said, I do have everything else minus the loctite.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I ask how you tighten the barrel nut without the fixtures and the vise?  Just curious as I haven't seen a build done without those.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have done builds with a vise and without. The ones without i just laid on a table and had someone hold the receiver and tightened it with a barrel nut wrench until snug then  loosen and tighten a few times till the next hole on the barrel nut lines up with the receiver. The torque range is just specified for a military manual purpose. If you tighten it by hand you will still fall in the same range. I would not suggest this to someone that is not mechanically inclined however.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#5]
or if you have acces to a vise you just need some wood. it can be done but the clamshell  kit is only 30 bucks
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can I ask how you tighten the barrel nut without the fixtures and the vise?  Just curious as I haven't seen a build done without those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've found myself in a couple interesting positions doing barrel nuts, I usually wind up using my knees and some moleskin cloth, or a table and a friend.  Easiest way? Nope.  I tend to like taking the hard route.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]
You could probably do without a stock wrench.  A strap wrench will work just as well, and can be used for other purposes. And a regular wrench will tighten down any A2 style stock. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've found myself in a couple interesting positions doing barrel nuts, I usually wind up using my knees and some moleskin cloth, or a table and a friend.  Easiest way? Nope.  I tend to like taking the hard route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the replies on that guys, never even thought about doing it without a vise and the fixtures but I guess that does make sense!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
No way would I do a build I plan to use without a vise and barrel nut wrench (armorers wrench). Maybe a mock up to see what it all looks like, but there is a torque spec for a reason.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top