Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 5/20/2003 6:14:41 AM EST
Is there a way to remove the primer crimps on millitary brass besides the $70 tool from dillon ?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:04:11 AM EST
Use a drill bit. All you need to do is 'break' the edge of the primer pocket. Some will still be tight when priming - you throw these away since they are way more hassle than they are worth. Sorry I cant remember the bit size.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:56:12 PM EST
hornady sells the trimmer head to trim the crimp away, its like 8 bucks. i used the rcbs swager until i tried the trimmer. i put mine on a electric screwdriver and it works great. here is the link. its called primer pocket reamer. https://www.hornady.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=storehome.html&cart_id=1030520.174038
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:42:17 PM EST
I like the drill idea. I've used both the tiny between-two-fingers reamers, and the ones mounted on wooden handles (MUCH better). Bothe inexpensive. Tiresome chore, thankful it only has to be done once (per cartridge).
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:54:56 PM EST
I have used the deburring tool that I use on the case mouth after trimming to ream it away.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:25:39 AM EST
On the trimmer with the wooden handle (RCBS, I Think) I pounded a finish nail into the handle, leaving about 1/2" of the nail showing. I can then use the nail head and chuck it into a battery operated drill. Works great!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:57:32 AM EST
You can trim it, but RCBS makes (made) a two-piece primer pocket swaging tool set that screws into a standard reloading press. The tool swages the military crimp into a chamfer or "radius" and works with little effort with just the stroke of the press handle. Very fast, efficient, and no removal of material. Noah
Top Top