Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2003 12:41:11 PM EDT
I'm a newguy, please don't flame me too bad!  

With info I got from this site, I bought a RRA carbine flat top, an ARMS #40 rear sight, an ARMS #19 mount and just got an ACOG TA-31 a few weeks ago.  At first, eye relief was a problem for me and I had to take the ARMS #40 off in order to be able to slide the ACOG back far enough to shoot it comfortably.  I have since decided to work on my cheek weld and get my nose "on the charging handle".  Today I was able to put my ARMS #40 back on and moved the ACOG ahead again.  That damn charging handle raps me on the nose though.  

I noticed that even tough the ACOG is mounted as far back in the ARMS #19 as possible, there is at least 1/2" of the rail on the ARMS #19 behind the rearmost portion of the ACOG's mounting "foot".  If I could mill or cut that off the back of the #19 I think I could move it back one notch, gain some eye relief,  and still have room for my ARMS #40.  Would some gunsmith be able to neatly trim it or would it be scraggly looking? I also have to wonder if the ARMS #19S might even have a shorter rail, allowing it to be mounted farther back on the flat top with the #40.

Thanks, dog guy.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi dogguy,

If you look at a picture of a 19S you will see that it was designed to solve the problem you are experiencing.

The rail is short enough that it places the ACOG just about as far rearward as possible, while still leaving room for the #40. The #19S and #40 are both contoured "to fit together" in the area that they mate.

I suppose you could have a gunsmith trim your #19ACOG and it would work, but as most #19S user here have discovered, the #19S is about as good as it gets.

"Borrowed" from Zardoz's post:

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=10493[/img]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Along with the #19s mount, you may want to try a Cav Arms C-1 buttstock (A-1 length). This really helped me get my nose to the charging handle easier and obtain correct sight picture thru my TA01 with arms#40.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  My standard ARMS 19 has a new home already and a 19S is on its way from Sableco.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top