Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2008 7:11:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2008 1:25:21 PM EST by Flash66]
I have a non GI M-1 Carbine (Ivar Johnson) that shoots great. I have it mounted on a folding stock and would like to get a red dot scope for it.

It will only be a range toy so I really don't want to put on an expensive scope.

I was thinking about a Millett 30 MM Red Dot. Cheaper than Dirt has them for about $60.

I have learned the hard way not to buy cheap scopes so I would like to know if anybody has any experience with them. The recoil on the M-1 won't be all that bad so maybe it will hold up.

Be let me know if you have any experience.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 9:01:26 AM EST
I had one of their 1" models on a ruger MK2 and loved it. It was a small game pistol and general plinking too. It had a 3MOA dot and was plenty small enough for head shots on squirrels out to 30 yards or so. That was my first dot sight and I haven't regretted it a bit. I only had it about a year before a friend bought the rig from me, so I cannot comment on battery life. It never ate the first one I bought. I would buy it before I would some of the other cheap sights. GTG for a range toy IMHO. Just don't go diving in the pool or drive many nails in with it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 12:45:35 PM EST
read some bad reviews on the millet scopes on midwayusa site.
Kinda in the same situation: I want a decent scope but dont want to pay a ton.
any body have experience with ncstar or leapers
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 1:11:57 PM EST
I had a Millet sp2 on a 35 rem and a 450 marlin guide gun. It worked fantastic for both. Over 100 yards the dot takes up too much of the target. So you have to turn down the britness setting to make a "smaller" dot but in the brush it was fast and held zero even with max loaded 405 grn hard cast loads.

They were new when I bought it and I paid about 120bucks. It was a good deal then 60 is a steal.

Good Luck,

AL
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 2:20:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sparks7:

While none of them are on par with EoTech, Aimpoint, or Trijicon, I will tell you from experience that Millett quality is MILES AHEAD of ncstar or leapers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 5:31:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sparks7:

Millett is def in a whole different class than NcStar or Leaper. Millett should be good to go for non-serious/SD or range use.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 3:11:23 AM EST
I went ahead and ordered a Millet Sp2 from Cheaper than Dirt for $61.00. We will see how it works out.

The recoil on a M-1 carbine isn't all that bad so maybe it will hold up for a few years of range toy use.

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 6:41:45 AM EST
People use the Millet DMS-1's for 3-gun and pro use without fail nowadays, so I don't think the other one should be a lot worse.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:02:39 PM EST
I received the Millett from Cheaper Than Dirt today.

It cost $61. I mounted it today and will take it out to the range on Friday.

It seems like a well made little scope. The adjustments are crisp. It does not seem to be be cheaply made like you have come to expect from Leapers and Tasco. The dot is good and the glass is clear.

We will see how it holds up to the shooting.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:48:29 PM EST
That looks perfect on that little M1! You are going to love it.

AL
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:38:00 PM EST
I've got one that was on a S&W 686 for a few years. Held up fine on full power and reduced loads. Probably on the order of 6k rds.
Top Top