Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/10/2009 4:00:55 PM EDT
When I was in the Marines (89-94) we never wore eye protection at the rifle range.  Has that practice changed?  Now I normally have sunglasses on, but there are times when I don't.  These are mostly when I'm hunting.  I've never seen an AR/M16 have a serious problem, but the pics I've seen here certainly show that these unfortunate things do happen.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know about eye protection, but ear protection was a must.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It's becoming more common with the current qualifying usually in full battle rattle.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Our ranges required eye and ear protection. You could use your own or try and use their scratched to shit safety glasses they kept in an ammo can.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
every range I have been on ears and eyes are required. For us I think its the  "train as you will fight in combat" thing moreso than it is a safty thing
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
15 years in the Marine Corps so far.  

I have shot on Rifle Ranges in Cherry Point North Carolina, Kaneohe Bay Hawaii, Barbers Point Hawaii and Yuma Arizona.  I have also shot on pistol ranges in Cherry Point North Carolina, Barbers Point Hawaii, Yuma Arizona and Camp Hansen Okinawa.  

Never have I been allowed to wear eye protection.  At each range I have been told to remove my eye protection because if it isn't a required prescription for vision, it isn't allowed.  

YMMV, and I hope it does

ETA:  The ONE exception was ONCE on the pistol range in Okinawa when I wore eye protection without any issues
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]
92-02 Army -eye protection was never issued to anyone on the range. No one ever wore eyes that I saw.
ETA: I trained with the AMU once or twice and they DID wear eyes! Normal line units never did through.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
15 years in the Marine Corps so far.  

I have shot on Rifle Ranges in Cherry Point North Carolina, Kaneohe Bay Hawaii, Barbers Point Hawaii and Yuma Arizona.  I have also shot on pistol ranges in Cherry Point North Carolina, Barbers Point Hawaii, Yuma Arizona and Camp Hansen Okinawa.  

Never have I been allowed to wear eye protection.  At each range I have been told to remove my eye protection because if it isn't a required prescription for vision, it isn't allowed.

YMMV, and I hope it does

Weird. At Pendleton we were required to wear eye pro.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#9]
At one time I was given a set Gargoyles.  But I don't remember if it was in the Puget Sound area, near FT. Lewis.  Or someplace else.  Can't remember.
Nor do I remember by which Branch issued them.  What was your question?  I wasn't there, you didn't see me.
I never posted this.

At minimum use eye protection.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I was issued glasses but it wasn't for eye protection at the range.I was special, I needed prescription glasses and the Army in it's infinite wisdom provided them for me. I even wore them once in awhile when I got back, with suspenders, high waters and a stripe shirt......I looked sort of like this when I did:

The chicks couldn't keep their hands off of me, it was like spraying the ultimate women attracting cologne ever devised by man. I even had offers of marriage on the spot by a few ladies, they were simply stunned at the quality of the glasses.

My squad mates were nowhere as lucky and were never issued eye protection. Last time I went to qualify was 2005 and there were no issued eye protection either.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Army safety is ridiculous now, they make you wear eye pro/ear pro, full battle rattle, sometimes even ear muffs.  It's no longer the good Army, its all safety day now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
That's not really a fair comparison of Armed Forces training.   In the 'Olden Day's ', we had nothing.  No body armour, ACOG's, or other bullshit. No running shoes for PT ( Wait!. I have to change before I can run. Where's my shorts? ).  Boots worked. And still do.

Hearing and eye protection.  I think could have been better.  Know many a Vet who say's "what?", after you say something.  I do as well.  Use both so you don't become one of the "Huh?" crowd.  We've got our members.
I do and don't miss the old ARMY.  Does the new one do a better job?  I don't know.  Time will tell
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's not really a fair comparison of Armed Forces training.   In the 'Olden Day's ', we had nothing.  No body armour, ACOG's, or other bullshit. No running shoes for PT ( Wait!. I have to change before I can run. Where's my shorts? ).  Boots worked. And still do.

Hearing and eye protection.  I think could have been better.  Know many a Vet who say's "what?", after you say something.  I do as well.  Use both so you don't become one of the "Huh?" crowd.  We've got our members.
I do and don't miss the old ARMY.  Does the new one do a better job?  I don't know.  Time will tell

A lot more long term injuries result from bad gear. This can mean too much or too little.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Army safety is ridiculous now, they make you wear eye pro/ear pro, full battle rattle, sometimes even ear muffs.  It's no longer the good Army, its all safety day now.

I was a medic and saw my share of preventable injuries and fatalities so I don't have a problem with safety gear.  Have they put roll bars and seat belts in "tactical" vehicles yet?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Army '87- '07  Ears yes, Eyes no before about '02 then optional. Eyes required '05+.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Last time out for us it was Ear pro yes, assuming it would stay in. Eye pro... iffy. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Kinda depended on what weapon we were working with(203s no, 240s yes)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Eyes, ears AND gloves at every one of our ranges

From 9mils to .50s and Mk19's

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Current Army rules are eye pro, ear pro, helmet, body armor. They usually want hand pro too. i remember shooting our mortars before the war on terror in just my BDUs, fingers in my ears, and a helmet only if I was on the gun line. No eye pro, no armor. Those were that days, LOL!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top