Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 4:59:26 AM EDT
Does anyone have any idea on how many rounds fired it takes to break in a new mil spec trigger? I just installed one in my Rock River carbine and I have about 200 rounds on it. I am hoping it breaks in soon because I am used to a two stage match trigger and went to this set up for reliability. It is so hard to pull that it is killing my accuracy although after slight polishing of the trigger and hammer mating surfaces it has improved a little.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd estimate about 1,000 rounds will get your parts to their operational optimum.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess some dry firing with a snap cap would help speed things up because I have been doing a little of that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is taking too long you could always get a JP reduced trigger and hammer spring set.
It will give you a lighter trigger pull, I have put over 1000rds through my rifle since changing out the springs with zero problems. less than 10 bucks at brownells YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If it is taking too long you could always get a JP reduced trigger and hammer spring set.
It will give you a lighter trigger pull, I have put over 1000rds through my rifle since changing out the springs with zero problems. less than 10 bucks at brownells YMMV.

Would you link me to this $10 trigger set? Everything I could find on there is $100+
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Would you link me to this $10 trigger set? Everything I could find on there is $100+

Here you go

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7582&title=AR-15+REDUCED+POWER+SPRING+KIT
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks a lot....just ordered it!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:19:56 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you mean by mil spec?  do you mean just a single stage trigger made like a GI simple 1 stage, or a good one like Colt Bushy or ArmaLite uses?  Makes a big difference.

My thought is don't bother.  Use a dab of grease on it and just shoot the rifle.  Once you get used to it so that it doesn't bother you its like white noise.  There but you dont notice it.

Anything you do to break it in takes away heat treated surface and wears it down.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:44:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I just ordered the regular trigger and hammer from Rock River. It cost me like $40 shipped with the springs and new pins. So you think just by polishing it for a few minutes and dry firing I could wear away the heat treated surface? I do like the simplicity of the 1 stage trigger though, and I don't know if I would want to go to a lighter spring because that would mean lighter primer strikes which could negatively affect reliability with 5.56 ammo. I don't know if a trigger from Colt or Bushy would be better. I would imaginet hey all come from the same source.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
My Bushy's single stage trigger sucked before I changed out the springs now it is nice and crisp.
I have put over 1K rounds thru it with zero problems and no light strikes on the primer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top