Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/4/2003 1:42:48 PM EDT
My ARMS 19 can be moved slightly on my flattop carbine with both levers engaged. Is this normal?  I am thinking about putting the ACOG  on a carry handle.  Could anybody comment on carry handle mounting an ACOG vs. the method I am using?  I want to use the ACOG to it's fullest potential including the possibility of CQB.   Thanks, dg.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the mount moving around, or does the scope move? There shouldn't be any movement. You can put it on a carry handle, but some people find that's too high up. Give it a try, if you're comfortable like that, then go for it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry I wasn't a little more clear-  the mount slides probably less than a 16th of an inch on the rifle, it takes "quite a bit" of pressure to move it.  I'm mostly afraid I won't get a consistant cheek weld and accuracy will suffer.   Also worry about mounting the optic that much higher over the bore and its effect on holdover at close range.   I am a bit of a worrier.....    dg
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I have mine carry handle mounted, and it works really well there. In my case the height is ideal. The detachable handle re-zeros the sight every time, and makes transport and cleaning a snap as I just detach the handle. YMMV.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=6821[/img]

[8d]

Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Very normal and correct. When attaching any mount to any weapon your supposed to move the mount foward prior to securing. Reason is that al optic mounts want to go foward when the rifle recoils. The cross notches on the receiver are larger than the cross bars in the military issue mounts so that the dirt, mud, etc. in field use don't interfere with the mount being properly installed. There are also hundreds of thousands of various world wide military issue optics mounted in carry handles to include ACOGS, that also work just fine and are not too high for magnifird optic aplications.
Good shoiotin, Jack
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, guys, that all helps.  Jack-  That makes sense, I did not know that there was a correct method to put the ARMS #19 on the rifle.  It makes sense now.  I'm going to try both mounting methods and see which one I prefer.   dg.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top