Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 3:45:24 AM EST
Okay can someone tell me, or point me in the direction of, the already explained pros and cons of a midlength vs and carbine length?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:50:45 AM EST
A standard bayonet WILL work on a 16" mid-length barrel.
A standard bayonet WILL NOT work on a 16" carbine length barrel.

Mid-length 16" barrel has a longer sight radius than a carbine length 16" barrel.

Some will say the mid-length is more reliable than the carbine length since the gas tube is longer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:15:04 AM EST
I think it just comes down to: want less hand guard? want more handguard?
I went with less (carbine). I don't like too many accesories.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:44:52 AM EST
The AR15 and its components were designed around the dwell times and operating pressures of a 20" rifle barrel. A 20" rifle barrel has a port pressure in the 15k psi range. A carbine has a much shorter dwell time and a port pressure in the 23k-30k psi range.

The midlength has:
1) Longer dwell time than carbine and port pressure in the 18-22k psi range
2) Better iron sight radius
3) More protection from hot barrel/more real estate for toys
4) Smoother recoil impulse due to #1

Also since you are a Team Member, you can search the archives and get a more detailed discussion of why the midlength is generally preferred.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:49:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
The AR15 and its components were designed around the dwell times and operating pressures of a 20" rifle barrel. A 20" rifle barrel has a port pressure in the 15k psi range. A carbine has a much shorter dwell time and a port pressure in the 23k-30k psi range.

The midlength has:
1) Longer dwell time than carbine and port pressure in the 18-22k psi range
2) Better iron sight radius
3) More protection from hot barrel/more real estate for toys
4) Smoother recoil impulse due to #1

Also since you are a Team Member, you can search the archives and get a more detailed discussion of why the midlength is generally preferred.

Thanks to all
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:25:11 PM EST
I want one for the reasons listed, and also because I'm bored of building carbine and rifle configurations.
Top Top