Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 4:45:24 AM EDT
Okay can someone tell me, or point me in the direction of, the already explained pros and cons of a midlength vs and carbine length?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#1]
A standard bayonet WILL work on a 16" mid-length barrel.
A standard bayonet WILL NOT work on a 16" carbine length barrel.

Mid-length 16" barrel has a longer sight radius than a carbine length 16" barrel.

Some will say the mid-length is more reliable than the carbine length since the gas tube is longer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it just comes down to:  want less hand guard? want more handguard?
I went with less (carbine).  I don't like too many accesories.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
The AR15 and its components were designed around the dwell times and operating pressures of a 20" rifle barrel. A 20" rifle barrel has a port pressure in the 15k psi range. A carbine has a much shorter dwell time and a port pressure in the 23k-30k psi range.

The midlength has:
1) Longer dwell time than carbine and port pressure in the 18-22k psi range
2) Better iron sight radius
3) More protection from hot barrel/more real estate for toys
4) Smoother recoil impulse due to #1

Also since you are a Team Member, you can search the archives and get a more detailed discussion of why the midlength is generally preferred.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The AR15 and its components were designed around the dwell times and operating pressures of a 20" rifle barrel. A 20" rifle barrel has a port pressure in the 15k psi range. A carbine has a much shorter dwell time and a port pressure in the 23k-30k psi range.

The midlength has:
1) Longer dwell time than carbine and port pressure in the 18-22k psi range
2) Better iron sight radius
3) More protection from hot barrel/more real estate for toys
4) Smoother recoil impulse due to #1

Also since you are a Team Member, you can search the archives and get a more detailed discussion of why the midlength is generally preferred.

Thanks to all
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I want one for the reasons listed, and also because I'm bored of building carbine and rifle configurations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top