Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 7:27:01 PM EDT
I ran into a little snag on my latest build.  I wanted to build a midlength, A2 style, light weight rifle.  The parts were coming together nicely, until I found out that the CAVARMS C6 midlength handguards were designed to fit a triangular handguard cap.  That shouldn't be a problem, just get a replacement cap, right?  Not so fast.  I'm using one of the ABS carbon fiber barrels for this build, and I wanted to stick with an A2 sight even though the barrels aren't machined for taper pins.  So, I purchased a Hahn front sight that clamps onto the barrel.  The hahn front sight is a machined with the handguard cap as an integral part.

So this is what it comes down to, I need to find a set of standard midlength handguards that were designed to fit a round handguard cap, or I need to find a source for a clamp on A2 front sight that can use one of the triangle end caps.

Somebody throw me a bone!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Free float her with a YHM
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
SHitcan the carbon fiber barrel and get one of those Giffman group-buy barrels .
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the Armalite A2 front sight is clamp on (ala set screws).  Might want to check with them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I actually thought about changing it over to a flat-top upper and FF tube, but decided that I want to stick with the A2.  

Besides, if I did that, in the TRUE spirit of ARFCOM I would be REQUIRED to purchase front and rear BUIS, Reflex optics / ACOG, and a host of other goodies.

I'm headed more in the direction of a high tech trunk gun.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think the Armalite A2 front sight is clamp on (ala set screws).  Might want to check with them.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:06:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That would be an oxymoron build - the lightest barrel with one of the heaviest FF tube systems.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be an oxymoron build - the lightest barrel with one of the heaviest FF tube systems.

Um, the YHM Lightweight tube is real light.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:19:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As compared to what?

The DD, LaRue and PRI (without accessory rails) are lighter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As compared to what?

The DD, LaRue and PRI (without accessory rails) are lighter.

Maybe it would be better if you guys specified which YHM handguards you are talking about...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top