Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2009 12:18:37 PM EDT
Please enlighten me - why are the middie lengths so popular? What is it about them that people want?

1. looks?

2. cycles better?

3. accuracy?

4. possibility of a bigger rail?

Aren't they heavier than a carbine?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
They function smoother with a longer sight radius. They will only be slightly heavier than a carbine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Smoother recoil than a carbine.

Less stress on operating parts.

Longer sight radius and more covered barrel in the same length as a non-SBR carbine.

Standard bayonet works.

BSW

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The gas port pressure is significantly lower which translates into the above mentioned benefits.  The farther down the barrel you can get the gas port, the lower the port pressure and chamber pressure when the bolt starts to unlock and extract the spent cartridge case.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of middy's as well as a standard M4gery (carbine length gas system).  The middy's just look better. But that is not the reason for having them. In a firearm its function over form and many will tell you the middy just feels better to shoot. The physics tells you there is a pressure difference in the gas systems. I do not have an exact number to quote but I am sure there are some experts out there (maybe at Armalite) who have these figures. Also, I like the longer site radius as I know that it helps.

OH, and they are prettier without all that naked barrel sticking out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]
All of the above!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All of the above!

Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
You just need to get one...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Runs smoother and cycles better. PLUS you can add a bayo.... blwahahaha...... FTW

ETA: by cycles better I mean less pressure due to longer gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Are the barrels the same length as a carbine?

What about the barrel profile - is it any different?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#10]
yea the barrels are the same length, supposing that your talking about a 16in barrel carbine. the barrel profile will not be the same. most carbines will have thinner barrels and a cut out for a 203. but it really depends upon your barrel choice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#11]
For me,  It looks better in less than rifle length barrels.  The dissapator just looks weird to me.

When slung up and shooting prone, the midlength feels better than the carbine length and does not crowd up on my hand.  It also has a longer sight radius than the carbine.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Is the gas block typically "under" the rail, or out in front of it?

Sorry for all the stupid questions.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#13]
maybe because I want my 16" carbine to work correctly w/o worrying about having special o-rings or checking extractor springs or having the bolt break after 15k rounds?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top