Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2005 10:22:56 PM EDT
Are there any advantages to a mid length 16" over a M4 style?  The longer sight radius could be helpful, but does the mid length gas system help/hurt reliability?  The M4 seems to be a lot more popular, is it just the look people like or is because they are more readily available?  If the barrel is going to be 16", building a mid length makes a lot of sense to me.  Someone clue me in.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you're mounting a 203, I don't think the M4 is going to give you much advantage... maybe price... The M4 is just more popular.
I own both, and I can tell you that the middy is a much much smoother shooter. Supposedly the M4 carbine gas system puts more wear on the reciever, but I wouldn't know, I've never shot any of my ARs enough to see "reciever wear", even in the 10s of thousands of rounds I put through them.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Unless you're mounting a 203, I don't think the M4 is going to give you much advantage... maybe price... The M4 is just more popular.
I own both, and I can tell you that the middy is a much much smoother shooter. Supposedly the M4 carbine gas system puts more wear on the reciever, but I wouldn't know, I've never shot any of my ARs enough to see "reciever wear", even in the 10s of thousands of rounds I put through them.

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/steve--oh/shooting125.jpg

+1

and the middly looks better than the M4 imo; h/w, the HBARs make M4 lowers kinda front heavier

nice AR mr steve
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are there any advantages to a mid length 16" over a M4 style?  The longer sight radius could be helpful, but does the mid length gas system help/hurt reliability?  The M4 seems to be a lot more popular, is it just the look people like or is because they are more readily available?  If the barrel is going to be 16", building a mid length makes a lot of sense to me.  Someone clue me in.

well, If all goes well with my current job set up, I'll be having both  for 14.5" barrel - M4 ; for 16" - Midlength, function will be OK for both, but the midlength theoretically be smoother if barrel profile is comperable (ie, no gov. profile 14.5 vs. HBAR 16 midlength). My $.02 worth
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want a M4-type, get a 14.5" barrel with permenantly attached FH; if you want a 16" barrel, get a midlength.

Better yet, get both:

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Build a middy. Steve-Oh, how do you like those Nittos man?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#6]
there should be no reliability problems with the midlenght and read that it is actually a better setup since it allows the violent gas to settle before hitting the carrier unlike the carbine gas system.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top