Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 9:03:56 PM EDT
I've decided to have an upper built to use at work.  So, after much research, sobbing and gnashing of teeth, I ve decided on the following:

A mid-length, 1/7 gov't profile, chrome-lined barrel with a Daniel Defense mid-length rail on a RRA flat top upper.

The ONLY caveat is, I don't have $300.00 + to spend on the barrel.  I have to get this entire upper on a cop's salary and have around $700.00 to spend, to include B/BC/CH.  

I know I don't want the Giffman barrel because it doesn't work with the standard handguards.  This may become important if policy changes and no longer allows the use of FF tubes.  I would like to be able to convert back to the standard HG's if the need arises, something I can't do with the Giffman.   Denny's barerls look great but are, for ome reason, rather high-dollar.

Sabre has some neat looking barrels but I can't find anyone building uppers with them at a reasonable price to compete with RRA.  It's hard to beat ADCO's price on a a RRA middy upper

Now I've spoken to Steve at ADCO and he can do this build by contouring the barrel on one of the chrome-lined  RRA mid-length uppers, though it would be 1/9  twist.  He also has one built on a WOA upper but my RRA lower really prefers RRA uppers when it comes time to mating the upper and lower.

I was wondering if there is ANYONE else who can build this for me ( or somethig VERY similar) for about the same money?  Oh and, did I mention I need it by next Wednesday?

edited to prove I did pay some attention in English class
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Couple of things...

1. You just mentioned every currently available 16" middy with a 1/7 twist rate. If none of those options work for you then you are basically SOL.

2. Your Wednesday dead line and $700 limit is DRASTICALLY lowering your options. Hell I could build you an upper just the way you want it using a Saber Defense 1/7 twist barrel and a CMT upper with M4 ramps, DD 9.0, etc for under $700 not including B\C\CH or ~$800 with the B\C\CH but either way - there is no way I could do that buy next Wednesday.

3. Your RRA lower will have no clue (nor will it care) what upper receiver you put on it. Matter of fact, if Steve had told you he used RRA upper receivers but instead used a WOA receiver, neither you, your lower or RRA themselves would be able to tell the difference. If you use a Saber barrel (or any other barrel with true M4 feed ext.) you will have to use a receiver from some other manufacture as RRA does not sell receivers with machined M4 feedramps.

Considering your time and money limitations, I think Steve and ADCO is your only choice and it's not a bad choice at all. Matter of fact, if he's going to use one of his contoured CL RRA barrels and include the B\C\CH all for $700, then he's cutting you a damn good deal. I have an RRA chrome lined middy that I bought from Steve profiled light under the hand guards and it's preformed great for me so far. 1/9 twist over 1/7 is not a big deal unless you are planning on using 70gr+ ammo and even then, the 1/9 will probably handle it just fine.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, my RRA seems to knw the difference between a RRA upper and other brands as the dimensions are a bit different with this lower.  Every RRA upper I have (4) fits quite easily on this lower.  My others ( 1 Bushmaster, 3 LMT's and 2 CMT's) all required an extensive "break-in" until the take down pin would engage without the use of a hammer, neumatic press and a gorilla.

I may very well  have described "every currently available 16" middy with a 1/7twist rate" and did so because I was asking what was available out there and was askign if there were some other options I had not thought of.

I posted because I was attempting to glean info from the other members of this board
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#3]
pdm - relax dude...I think you are reading more into what I wrote than was intended.

Quoted:
Actually, my RRA seems to knw the difference between a RRA upper and other brands as the dimensions are a bit different with this lower.  Every RRA upper I have (4) fits quite easily on this lower.  My others ( 1 Bushmaster, 3 LMT's and 2 CMT's) all required an extensive "break-in" until the take down pin would engage without the use of a hammer, neumatic press and a gorilla.

As far as that goes, in my experience it's just luck of the draw. The only upper I've installed on either of my RRA lowers that needed "break-in" was an RRA upper. Colt and CMT uppers have worked fine as is.

I may very well  have described "every currently available 16" middy with a 1/7twist rate" and did so because I was asking what was available out there and was askign if there were some other options I had not thought of.

And all I was trying to tell you is you haven't missed any. What you listed is all of the options you have in currently availible 16" chrome lined 1/7 twist mid-length gas system barrels. If you don't have to have 1/7, you do have two more options. Armalite and Cav Arms. but you are still going to have a hard time finding somebody to build you one of those with a DD 9.0 rail and B\C\CH for under $700 and have it to you by Wednesday.

Sorry that's not what you want to hear but that is the reality of it
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I posted because I was attempting to glean info from the other members of this board

Tagging yet another tight RRA lower, for my amusement.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#5]
the deadline is not very important to me, I can certainly make due with what I have.  That was mentioned merely as an aside and to interject a bit of levity into this forum and not to be a source of contention for you.

Thank you for your input
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the deadline is not very important to me, I can certainly make due with what I have.  That was mentioned merely as an aside and to interject a bit of levity into this forum and not to be a source of contention for you.

Thank you for your input

Dude, whatever. You stated a requirement of needing it by Wednesday. I answered based off of that requirement. I stressed "by Wednesday" because there will be some other 16" CL 1/7 middy options out by sometime this fall. regardless of time frame, If you still think you will get somebody to build you the upper you want for under $700 then whatever, I wish you luck.

Quoted:
Tagging yet another tight RRA lower, for my amusement.

You're funny. FYI my RRA lowers function 100%, are of equal quality and look better then your ugly ass queer deer lowers!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You're funny. FYI my RRA lowers function 100%, are of equal quality and look better then your ugly ass queer deer lowers!

0 RRAs and will continue to be that way as long as they keep doing what they are doing.

4 Bushmasters

2 PWAs

1 MEGA

1 Lauer

1 Stag - just to see what all the hype was about.  I'd take a Stag any day over an RRA.  YMDV.

As much as a lower receiver can "function 100%", all of these do also.  It's hardly a function of who's roll mark is on it.  I'll admit the deer head is ugly, but I'm not about looks on a rifle.  People said the Stags were good, so I had to see for myself, rather than judging it on a superficial, nonfunctional aspect, like a roll mark.  If I had my way, my rifles would have one roll mark, the serial number, and that's it.  Hell, I'll probably start building my own lowers and just skip the serial number, while I'm at it.

BTW, I didn't tag this because you were replying.  I've been tagging RRA threads off and on, to catalog some of the tight receiver issues, for my own personal entertainment.

On topic:

Go with ADCO for your upper.  You'll have it in less than a week.  He could probably get you a 1/7 barrel, if you ask real nice.  Other than the 1/7 barrel, which RRA doesn't make, if Steve says your parts are RRA, they will be.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
BTW, I didn't tag this because you were replying.  I've been tagging RRA threads off and on, to catalog some of the tight receiver issues, for my own personal entertainment.

I IM'ed you about this because we don't need to shit on this guy's thread anymore with this personal disagreement which has no business here.

Quoted:
Go with ADCO for your upper.

+100. If he said he could get it to you for $700 then he's cutting you a great deal as that is less then the sum of what he charges for all the parts he will need for that build. Also, with Steve building it, you know it will be done right.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Mongo you're right.  I, like you and your STAG lower,  tried a RRA lower because I wanted to see how good they were.  Quality is great but it is out of spec around the receiver extension I think.  No more RRA lowers for me.

(Note:  I am not villifying RRA or proclaiming the product to be of second-rate quality.  I'm certain there are millions, if not billions of people who are satisfied with their RRA lowers.  I'll bet there are small countries whose entire adult population has RRA lowers and uses them for everything from building rifles to cooking beef stew and have had no issues.   What I have done in the previous paragraph is to merely present my opinion based upon my personal experience.  I hope this prevents any flames or brand wars from developing.)

As for ADCO, I don't wish to talk out of school about his business.  Steve hasn't quoted me a price and I don't wish to start throwing dollar amounts around and have someone contact Steve saying "but I read you'd build such-and-such for this much money".  Not fair to Steve or to the forum members.   Any approximate prices were obtained directly from Steve's website with the help of a Casio calculator.

While I know I don't need to say this, i will:  Steve has done work for me ini the past and it was all top shelf.  Couldn't ask for better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top