Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 2:15:38 PM EDT

  Can an aluminum, carbine free-float tube (cylindrical, vented) be installed on a mid-length RRA upper? I mean, I'm sure it can, but will there be a big gap between the front of the tube and the rear of the FSB? The mid-length hand guard measures approximately 9" w/barrel nut, while the vented, carbine tube measures about 7.25" w/barrel nut. I assume the FSB can't be easily relocated due to the gas port, so am I correct that the new hand guard would leave a 1.75" gap between it and the FSB? And if so, would this be ugly and unprofessional looking? Should I just sell the new vented, carbine free-float tube and stick with the stock (mid-length) hand guards, or is there an option I'm overlooking?

Fred B. - Relative AR newbie
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:55:33 PM EDT
Lots of manufacturers make 9" midlength tubes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:18:02 PM EDT
either stick with the stock guards... or get a set of midlength handguards...

DD Omega gets my vote––- SOLID lockup and free-float...   but pretty damn pricey...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:00:05 PM EDT
It is technically possible.  But not recommended.  If you use a carbine hand guard, there will be an unacceptable gap between the end of the hand guard and the FSB.  Too much of your gas port would be exposed and it'll just look goofy.

Simply sell the carbine hand guard and buy a free-float hand guard MEANT for your midlength gas gun.  There are tons of options out there these days.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:09:23 PM EDT

  Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I thought. I picked up the carbine length tube at the last gun show because I was stupid and the price was right.

  I just want a racy "tube" hand guard, nothing with rails. But it has to be reasonable. So far the most reasonable option I've found is the RRA free-float aluminum tube in mid length for $75. I'd like to find something even less expensive, but I'll sell the carbine length tube and pony up the extra for the RRA tube if I have to. Anyone in the DFW (TX) area who might wanna help me install the new guard when the time comes? I don't have a barrel wrench, vise receiver clamps or hand guard removal tool, so I'll have to take it to a shop otherwise. I'd gladly pay a six-pack or something!

Fred B. - budget AR novice
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:23:23 PM EDT
Try asking for some local assistance in the AR15.com Texas Home Team Forum.  I'm sure someone would be happy to help.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:38:17 PM EDT
Awesome N2ch, I didn't even know there was such a forum. Thank you.

Fred B.
Top Top