Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2003 10:34:14 AM EDT
I have decided to build my first AR, and go with RRA parts.  I'm buying the stripped lower, parts kit, CAR postban stock, and upper.  However with the upper I am torn between the postban 16" CAR A4 flattop, with either the CAR length or mid length handgaurds.  I really like the shorter amount of visible barrel and the increased sight radius, but I don't want to sell myself short with different handgaurds etc.  What are your thoughts?  I really like the new mid length SIR, but at $399, it will be a while before I can get one.  Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You can get mid-length handguards from Cavalry Arms; hell, get a whole furniture set in the color of your choice, mid-length too.

[url]www.cavalryarms.com/furniture.html[/url]

Their furniture is pretty sturdy, the new coyote brown color is kickass. If you don't want that, they got a whole rainbow available.

Armalite sells mid-length too, green and black.

[url]www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/carbines.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I think handguard lenght and style are a personal choice ,along with fit and feel. Handle as many types as you can to get a feel of what feels good to you . Good luck

SaFe ShOoTiNg
 Jerry   [):)]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for the info, but what about rail systems?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as rail systems, I would stick with either carbine or standard length. I do not see much sense in putting so much money on something that is, admittedly, nonstandard, which you may want to change later on. Handguards are cheap, a $399 rail system is kind of hard on the wallet. More accessories and such designed for carbine or standard, so that's the size I would get if I were going to pay $400. But that's just my personal opinion.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I think in the not too distant future you're going to see the mid-length [i]become[/i] the new standard in 16" configuration. It's popularity is growing quickly, and tactical accessories are beginning to catch up to demand. I think the mid-length gives you the best of both worlds; manageable length, longer sight radius.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't remember whether the midlength has the gas block at the carbine position or somewhere in the middle.  If the gas block is at the carbine position, then I would pick whatever you prefer, even for rail systems because if you want a short, middle or long system, the gas block will just fit under the guards anyway.  Then you just have to reposition the front site.  This is ASSUMING A FF RAIL/GUARD system.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Just FYI:  ALL CavArms furniture is not available in midlength.  My wife wants pink (bleh) furniture on yer 9mm upper, and it's midlength.  CavArms doesn't stock it, and it would probably take a minimum order of 100 sets or so to get any produced.  I would guess the same is true for most of the non-common colors.  So, think of what you'll wanna do with your rifle beforehand.

I'll have to use some Krylon on the wife's. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]
i have a RRA mid A4 upper on my eagle arms lower and i couldnt be happier.  i haven taken the guards off yet but i read here that the gas block is NOT at car position.  plus theres the sight radius as a bonus, and it look good too.[:D]

[url]http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/detailfs?userid={2394B0ED-2626-4BC0-AD60-2C3B6046F572}&ndx=0&slideshow=0&AlbumId={25690A7F-1720-4B3F-9F16-2E60327BC1E3}&GroupId=&screenheight=864[/url]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top