Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 5:31:52 PM EDT
I actually prefer the looks and feel of the RRA Tactical UTE2 with CAR style barrel.  Is there any mechanical reason everyone seems to like midlength?  Is there an issue with the shorter sight radius and gas timing with CAR type bbls...or something?  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It has a better recoil impulse due to the longer gas tube.  Longer sight radius is a plus also.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It has a better recoil impulse due to the longer gas tube.  Longer sight radius is a plus also.

Correct and is also offers less wear and tear on your weapon.

C4

+1

and if you put a railed free float you have more estate to mount high speed stuff
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

and if you put a railed free float you have more estate to mount high speed stuff

yep  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw the mid-length pattern develop while reading all the threads in this section.  Knew there had to be good reason for it.  

As far as the increased recoil impulse, does this mean more recoil becomes sharper and the damage stemming from rattling the gun shot per shot?

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to steal his thunder... but my buddy has just finished a new one. Exactly as you describe. (courtesy usmc03) Its a midlength.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not to steal his thunder... but my buddy has just finished a new one. Exactly as you describe. (courtesy usmc03) Its a midlength.

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/usmc03-album-1/ute2.sized.jpg

Now that is a little fancier than what I had in mind, but sweet none-the-less.  I was thinking about getting an ARMS cantilever spacer and place the Aimpoint a little further forward, unless I found it screwed up the balance.  I will probably stick with regular handguards too.

That magpul stock looks much more robust than the flimsy feeling 6 position.  

Now if I could only get a 1/8 or 1/7 parkerized CAR bbl from RRA I would be set.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I saw the mid-length pattern develop while reading all the threads in this section.  Knew there had to be good reason for it.  

As far as the increased recoil impulse, does this mean more recoil becomes sharper and the damage stemming from rattling the gun shot per shot?

The AR15 and the components it uses (bolt, buffer, etc.) were designed around the gas pressures found in rifle length systems. When you go to a carbine length gas system, the gas pressure at the gas port goes from around 15,000psi (rifle) to 23,000psi (new carbine) and can easily hit 30,000psi (carbine w/ 9k rounds) with the increased gas port erosion. This means that not only is your bolt receiving a lot more gas pressure during cycling, it is also trying to cycle earlier than a rifle while pressures in the barrel are still higher and the brass is still gripping the camber walls. All of this is hard on the bolt, extractor and ejector and shortens the life of these components. In addition, the carbine cycles faster - meaning that your magazines have less time to properly position the round before the bolt carrier scoops it up.

The midlength gives you the same barrel length as a carbine; but reduces the gas pressure to more rifle-like levels by moving the port forward. This should result in a little better reliability  and durability. You also get more sight radius, more rail real estate, and a smoother recoil during follow-up shots. Even better the worst compromise you have to make to get the extra performance is only about 1oz worth of extra handguard weight.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just posted the thread with info in this forum
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The AR15 and the components it uses (bolt, buffer, etc.) were designed around the gas pressures found in rifle length systems. When you go to a carbine length gas system, the gas pressure at the gas port goes from around 15,000psi (rifle) to 23,000psi (new carbine) and can easily hit 30,000psi (carbine w/ 9k rounds) with the increased gas port erosion. This means that not only is your bolt receiving a lot more gas pressure during cycling, it is also trying to cycle earlier than a rifle while pressures in the barrel are still higher and the brass is still gripping the camber walls. All of this is hard on the bolt, extractor and ejector and shortens the life of these components. In addition, the carbine cycles faster - meaning that your magazines have less time to properly position the round before the bolt carrier scoops it up.

The midlength gives you the same barrel length as a carbine; but reduces the gas pressure to more rifle-like levels by moving the port forward. This should result in a little better reliability  and durability. You also get more sight radius, more rail real estate, and a smoother recoil during follow-up shots. Even better the worst compromise you have to make to get the extra performance is only about 1oz worth of extra handguard weight.

big +1  I have an armalite mid length and love it.  As you know the AR isn't going to bowl you over with recoil, but the midlength does cycle "smoother".  IMO a midlength works and works well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I can now substatiate why I thought the M4s kicked more than a 20" A2!  I can go back to work and say, "See, I'm not a pussy, these things have more recoil!"  At least the later of those two facts will go over well.      
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#12]
What is the distance between the muzzle and the front of the front sight base?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good info here.....middys barrels are a little more expensive than the car lengths since they're relatively new to the scene....but it makes up for it by the savings of not having to stock up on gas rings......my car15 seems to break gas rings a lot more frequently than rifles/middys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top