Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2008 3:30:26 AM EDT
Considering buying an Aimpoint, is there any advantage to the micro over the standard Aimpoint, other than size, weight or sight picture, is the micro a smaller diameter over all?
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#1]
CompM2, 3, 4 = 30mm tube, length 4.7"

Micro = 20mm tube, length 2.4"
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 6:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been running an M3 for the past couple of years, and really like it.  I am also waiting on a couple of T-1's to arrive, hopefully today.

Aimpoint lists the respective weights at 3.7 oz. for the micro, and 7.8 oz. for the M.  I just weighed my M3 with ARMS 22M68 cantilever, and it is 406 grams [14.3 oz.].  I also weighed a LT-100 ACOG mount [this is the only LaRue mount that I currently have without an optic attached], and it is 96 grams [3.4 oz.].  Considering that an LT-660 is probably a little lighter than the LT-100, one could expect to shave approoximately 1/2 pound off their weapon system using the micro versus the M, including mounts.  Some might not consider this particularly important for an AR platform, but one of my micro's is slated for use on a Buckmark pistol, something that I would never consider using an M for.

The reduced lens size should not be of negative consequence, since light gathering capability is not really a relevant function for this type of optic, and the EP's of both are way above what a human eye can make advantage of.

I am interested to see whether I like the 4 MOA dot better than the 2 MOA, but I don't think it will be of much consequence either way considering the applications.

An interesting point to consider is that Victor the NV guy, has historically favored the EOTech over the AP due to reduced view obstruction of the housing.  It is my understanding that he now favors the micro over the EO for the same reason; that should say something, even if one is not employing NOD's.

Needless to say, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my micro's, and will be posting a comparative review in the not-too-distant future.

Hope this helps with your decision.
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive ran a aimpoint many years now

I would switch in a HEART BEAT to there LITTLE T1 Aimpoint
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You should have your T1's today as a matter of fact AND that "other" device you are a gluten of punishment on!

You're correct I ditched my EO's altogether and use the T1 now.  Most folks know me as a NON-koolaid drinker when it comes to gear. (expect for good NV! ) It takes me a LONG time to switch anything and I must train with it for a good bit of time to see if it works for me.  The EO battery issues were killin' me and I do welcome not having to turn the sight on each time I use it and I can leave the T1 on next to brightest light level setting for 7 years! With the T1, I also do not have a hard time getting my pudgy fingers in between a NOD and an EO to manipulate the controls.  Of course the newer EO's have the switch on the side.

Overall, this T1 has everything going for it; as a primary sight on a gun, quite small enough to be used (and it is) as a back up mini red dot with magnified optics, and lets not forget about how well it works with NV.  What more can you ask for in a package?  

The Brown Truck just stopped off a little while ago!  

It is nice to see that AP has finally come up with a device capable of converting you over to the proper side of the AP-EO fence.    My initial impression is that these micros will not disappoint my high expectations.

As far as the upcoming punishment, let's just say that all of my IR devices have fresh batteries in them.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Get yourself an Aimpoint QD kit for the Micro T1, review here
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok never mind then

Link Posted: 4/25/2008 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both types of Aimpoints.  I definitely like the micros better.  There is just plain less of the sight to distract you.  The smaller tube is really of no consequence.  If you shoot with both eyes open, as you should with these types of optics, the micro just has less to get in the way of your view.  The only time that you might notice the smaller size of the tube on the micro is if you shoot with only one eye open, but even then it's no big deal.

Subjectively speaking, the 4 moa dot in the micro seems to be about the size of the 2 moa dot in the 30mm tube models.

The micro with it's LT mount adds a negligible amount of weight and is easy to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Get yourself an Aimpoint QD kit for the Micro T1, review here

Duffy, I just received some T-1's with AP's "QD" option yesterday.  

With all due respect, I do not consider the AP lever as QD in the strictest sense of the term.  The reason that I make this statement is that the cam of same does not offer enough travel to provide solid lock-up AND release from the rail without hand loosening the knurled nut.  I have only tried it on ARMS, SEI, Bushy, Fulton, LMT, DD, TNVC, and UltiMak rails so far, but I can't imagine the results would be any different with other high quality systems.  It is however preferable to the standard AP mount, IMHO, and for $32 is a comparative bargain.

I am on "the list" with LaRue to get some LT-66X's once they have caught up with the needs of our troops in harm's way, and am most looking forward to running these optics live.  Initial impression is that the micros are the cat's meow for CQB.

As others have mentioned, the "4MOA" dot does not appear to be twice as large as the "2MOA" of my existing M3, at least subjectively through my less-than-perfect eyes....astigmatism sucks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#14]
  I wish the T-1 would fit weaver rails I need the NV setting on the T-1 but many of my my rifles/pistols have weaver style rails. I have been watching Victors updates of the   T-1 and NV use it looks good. I have been using about a 1/2 dozen eotech 551's last several years great sights and tough as nails I dropped one 18ft out of a tree stand last fall landed right on the top of the metal hood no damage but some marks on the sight. It didn't even change POI! The only problem I have is the battery life issue at 200 hrs on the N batteries and 551 sight it does get old I buy N batteires in bulk. I may have to figure something out on the mount and give a T-1 a test run myself.
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I could most certainly be mistaken, but I don't see any reason why a T-1 would not fit your Weaver rails using the factory AP mounting options.  

My understanding of 1913 devices not fitting Weavers is due to the fore-aft thickness of the recoil lug on the mount being greater than the slot of the rail, as well as slot spacing issues for multi-recoil lug devices.  I have had to file the slot on a Weaver rail to accommodate the ARMS 22L of the IR illuminator to be attached to my helmet, and it has worked out just fine through a fair bit of use.

The crossbolt of the T-1 is 0.138" by my calipers, and the slot of a Weaver-brand #36M rail that I happen to have laying around is 0.153".  The micro is also a single lug mount, so slot spacing is not an issue.  Coincidentally, the T-1 also fits quite nicely on this Weaver rail piece.  

It also seems to fit just fine on the freaky rail of my aluminum receiver Springfield SAR-8 [I know, a total POS].

For comparison, the lug of an LT-100 that was laying around mic'd at ~0.195", and the slot of one random 1913 rail that was handy was just over 0.200".  
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Murderman, you're right about the amount of travel, but as you said, it's still preferable to the factory screw mount
Link Posted: 4/27/2008 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#17]
may sound like a dumb question, but it hasnt been touched on here.  can you use a magnifier with the micro?

Link Posted: 4/27/2008 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/27/2008 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I prefer the larger one for a bigger field-of-view.
Link Posted: 4/27/2008 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#20]
With both eyes open, FOV doesn't get wider than that

But maybe you're onto something here, with the new Trijicon RX30 and a huge EOTech like HUD sight mounted on a minigun, there seems to be a trend in reflex type sights with a huge window.  Someone please explain to me!
Link Posted: 4/27/2008 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Any body have a pic of the micro with a magnifer?
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Any body have a pic of the micro with a magnifer?

Page 3 of SMGLee's 2008 SHOT show thread.
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I picked up one of the short YHM risers at a local retailer today as an interim mounting solution for one of my AR's, since they are so inexpensive.  Do y'all also notice some visibility of the optics "internals" at the 0430 position in the FoV of the micro?
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I picked up one of the short YHM risers at a local retailer today as an interim mounting solution for one of my AR's, since they are so inexpensive.  Do y'all also notice some visibility of the optics "internals" at the 0430 position in the FoV of the micro?

Link Posted: 4/30/2008 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/30/2008 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#27]
does anybody know what the warranty is on the micros? is it still ten years for a civi?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top