Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/11/2010 6:36:44 PM EDT
I keep reading that Metalform mags are the original colt. I dunno if these are real metalform mags but it might be worth a try? Can anyone comment on these?

Mags
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I keep reading that Metalform mags are the original colt. I dunno if these are real metalform mags but it might be worth a try? Can anyone comment on these?

Mags

They are and they work just fine, and that's a good price on them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 2:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Best 9mm mags on the market in my opinion, and you won't find a better price.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet just ordered up 8 of them. For that price I wish I could buy them out!
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Will these mags hold the bolt open (if the mag block is equipped to do that)???
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 5:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Will these mags hold the bolt open (if the mag block is equipped to do that)???

Yes they will.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Am I the only one that thinks this should be in a tacked thread?  Or have I just not found it up there myself?
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I will volunteer to condense all of the 9mm knowledge in the previous faq into one post as well as update it. If Someone can get it tacked.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I will volunteer to condense all of the 9mm knowledge in the previous faq into one post as well as update it. If Someone can get it tacked.

The current tacked 9mm thread is too long, full of too many repetitive questions, full of conflicting opinions, and OLD (started in 2002).

I agree that the previous faq is wack. BUT if it were to be redone it will need to be concise and contain everything that could be asked about 9mm and known about 9mm, but above all it has to be locked (otherwise it will be 11 pages long again).

theskuh, if you are going to attempt to put everything in one post, start a thread where others can help you out before you finalize it. That way the many opinions and experience in the pistol caliber forum can help you out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought some Metalform mags from CDNN and they sit too low in my CMMG lower to hit the mag catch reliably. Just running them without ammo, I can already tell that the BHO will not work.  However, I have two pro mags that do hold the bolt open.

Does anyone know if CDNN is selling first quality Metalform mags or are they seconds?  I bought 4 - two 20 rounders and two 30 rounders, and none of them hold the bolt open.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 1:46:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting.  I wouldn't think they would be seconds but rather the dedicated cmmg lower holds them too low. Take some good pictures if you can. With the promags and metalforms. Also measure the distance to the mag realease cut in the metalforms to the top of the mag.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 2:00:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought some Metalform mags from CDNN and they sit too low in my CMMG lower to hit the mag catch reliably. Just running them without ammo, I can already tell that the BHO will not work.  However, I have two pro mags that do hold the bolt open.

Does anyone know if CDNN is selling first quality Metalform mags or are they seconds?  I bought 4 - two 20 rounders and two 30 rounders, and none of them hold the bolt open.

From left to right....
Original Colt (Metalform) 20rd mag, original Colt (Metalform) 32rd mag, Metalform (bought from CDNN) 32rd mag, Cproducts 32rd mag (with modified follower).

Do you guys notice anything different in this pic besides the Cproduct mag?

The Colt (Metalform) mag on the left has the two nubs in the front of the follower (circled in red) that keeps it from moving forward. The 32rd Metalform mag on the right is missing those nubs. I bought 3 from CDNN and this was the only one without the nubs on the follower. The other two have them. Do the magazines that you bought from CDNN have these nubs on the followers?

Colt (Metalform) mag on the left, Metalform mag from CDNN on the right.
In this pic, it shows that I pushed the followers towards the rear of the feed lips.

Same pic with the followers pushed forward to the front of the feed lips. Because of the nubs missing from the Metalform mag on the right, the bolt catch (actuator) does not engage the tab at the rear of the follower. If I push the follower towards the rear on this empty mag, the BHO will work but after a few racks the follower will work its way to the front again and the BHO will not work.

The 3 Metalform 32rd mags I bought from CDNN.

I have 2 9mm AR's. This lower is from DDLES. It has the bolt catch actuator and uses a standard 5.56/.223 bolt catch. If I'm correct, I think CMMG uses a 9mm long finger bolt catch.

In this pic, you can clearly see that the bolt catch actuator does not engage the tab at the rear of the follower.

This is a pic of my other 9mm which is a Colt 6430. It uses the 9mm long finger bolt catch. The mag without the nubs still engages the bolt catch. The 9mm long finger bolt catch is a little longer than the bolt catch actuator on my DDLES lower so this might be a reason why the mag still works in my Colt lower.

Link Posted: 8/15/2010 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 2 newer metalforms (1.5 year old maybe)  from the company themselves. They have the plastic followers and I don't believe they have the bumps. I will check today when I get back home.

But that is strange about that one mag. I wonder if you can get a new follower for it? I know you used to be able to buy them from metalform. but it would be annoying if you had to pay for it.

Link Posted: 8/15/2010 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have 2 newer metalforms (1.5 year old maybe)  from the company themselves. They have the plastic followers and I don't believe they have the bumps. I will check today when I get back home.

But that is strange about that one mag. I wonder if you can get a new follower for it? I know you used to be able to buy them from metalform. but it would be annoying if you had to pay for it.

My 4 metalform mags  I also got direct from metalform about 1.5 years ago.  They came with plastic followers.  I called them and they quickly shippped out metal followers for free.  But like I said, this was about 1.5 years ago.

My 12 cproducts magazines (all 3 generations of followers over a 2 year period) still will not work in my Hahn dedicated.  When loaded to 32 rounds, the first 5-6 will often nose dive a few degrees into the magazine.  They will not even make it to the feed ramps. This is with a stock RRA upper and 2 different lowers that I've tried.   I"ve given up on loading them past about 23 rounds.  Below 23 rounds they work 100%.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you tried the plastic followers?  All my metal forms have run 100% with my Hahn top, Hahn dedicated and rra blocks all my mags have the plastic followers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had my brother in Washington order these mags from CDNN and had him send it to me here in Guam. CDNN doesn't ship to Guam. I don't know what their return policy is if I'm not the original buyer. I didn't want to deal with it so I ordered another follower direct from Metalform's website for $15.57ea.. I hope this new follower has those nubs. It works fine with my Colt that uses the long finger bolt catch.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#17]
The two I got from CDNN have the bumps on both followers...

I can't imagine how the followers could have been "seconds" and not noticed as being different.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 4 of these mags coming from CDNN on thursday, will update as to what follower they have.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#19]
All the Metalform metal followers should have the 2 bumps on the front.  If any of you get or have any Metalform mags with metal followers and they do not have the two bumps on them, you should contact Metalform and ask them to address the issue for you.  YMMV as to whether they will just send you replacements or if they will want you to first return the mags and/or followers so they can inspect them before replacing them.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#20]
All of mine have the bumps, but I bought most of them from metalform directly or from spikes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought 5 - 20 round Metalform mags from CDNN. They all have the two bump followers but the finish
isn't that good, it's streaked like the mags are worn but they are of course new.

The mags have no markings on them except for a 10 and 20 by the witness holes and do hold the bolt open for my 6450.
Maybe they are seconds because of the finish and that is why they are so cheap?
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just bought 5 - 20 round Metalform mags from CDNN. They all have the two bump followers but the finish
isn't that good, it's streaked like the mags are worn but they are of course new.

The mags have no markings on them except for a 10 and 20 by the witness holes and do hold the bolt open for my 6450.
Maybe they are seconds because of the finish and that is why they are so cheap?

I also just received 4 20 rnd mags today from CDNN, all have the 2 bumps on the followers.

I'm willing to bet that the reason these mags are so cheap is because of the blued finish. Metalform may have discontinued them and CDNN bought them all, but it's just a guess.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#23]
When you guys say "streaked finish", what are you talking about?

Is the bluing uneven and does it have lighter/darker highlights?  (this sounds like it would be abnormal - please post pics)

Or, can you see the die marks and/or the grinding marks on the front edge through the bluing?  (this would be normal)
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#24]
The tabs on my followers seem to engage the bolt catch, they just don't raise it high enough to engage the bolt.  My promag mags raise it just a little higher so that the catch engages the front of the bolt.  It's strange.

CDNN tells me the mags are first quality.  Metalform hasn't responded.  Whatever the case, be sure you try them out if you buy from CDNN.  They have a strict return policy, and they wouldn't let me send them back.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn! So am I the only unlucky bastard who got one mag without the two bumps on the follower? I still haven't received the follower I ordered from Metalform.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:51:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Damn! So am I the only unlucky bastard who got one mag without the two bumps on the follower? I still haven't received the follower I ordered from Metalform.

Did you pay for it, or did you tell them you got a defective follower?  I'd think they'd be pretty quick in getting you a replacement follower, especially when compared to just sending a regular part.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Do these mags function properly fully loaded?

Thanks,
D
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you pay for it, or did you tell them you got a defective follower?  I'd think they'd be pretty quick in getting you a replacement follower, especially when compared to just sending a regular part.

I ordered it since August 4th. Still waiting.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I just got some Metalform mags from CDNN.  They all have the 2 dimpled followers.

No range report yet, my Spike's upper is still being built.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Metalform probably had problems with the blueing because it looks like some of the finish is worn off from these mags.

Quoted:

Is the bluing uneven and does it have lighter/darker highlights?  (this sounds like it would be abnormal - please post pics)

Or, can you see the die marks and/or the grinding marks on the front edge through the bluing?  (this would be normal)

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#31]
bought 2 from cdnn and they got the dimples. I've noticed that one of the mag is a bit tight in the spike's mag well. I'm planning on testing it tomorrow or Monday.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Metalform probably had problems with the blueing because it looks like some of the finish is worn off from these mags.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f116/mt6551/AR15/metalform-1.jpg

Quoted:

That's wear marks, not problems with finish.  Which says something about how the magazines are handled after assembly.  My Metalforms, purchased from CDNN have the same sorts of marks.  And they have a phosphate finish, not a blued finish.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's wear marks, not problems with finish.  Which says something about how the magazines are handled after assembly.  My Metalforms, purchased from CDNN have the same sorts of marks.  And they have a phosphate finish, not a blued finish.

Those look pitiful for "new" mags.  Maybe they were "old stock" or something as that kind of wear takes a while to happen.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fortunately for me, the wear marks are considerably less prominent, and the finish really looks phosphated, not smooth as in the picture.  But I'm curious why a new magazine would look like it's been slid on the floor at all, let alone as badly messed with as in that picture.  What do these magazines look like when purchased straight from Metalform?

Those look pitiful for "new" mags.  Maybe they were "old stock" or something as that kind of wear takes a while to happen.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

All four of the 20 rounders I bought from CDNN have the same type of blueing wear.  For the price, I couldn't care less.  They all have the bumps on the follower.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

GHPorter, are you referring to 20 or 32 round magazines as being phosphated?  The 20 rounders that I just received have the worn blueing, but the 32 rounders that I ordered a while ago were phosphated and cosmetically perfect.  I'm just curious if there is a third Metalform variation in the mix at CDNN, contrary to the two mags they have advertised.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

GHPorter, are you referring to 20 or 32 round magazines as being phosphated?  The 20 rounders that I just received have the worn blueing, but the 32 rounders that I ordered a while ago were phosphated and cosmetically perfect.  I'm just curious if there is a third Metalform variation in the mix at CDNN, contrary to the two mags they have advertised.

Mine are 32s and phosphated.  As I stated, there are only relatively minor wear marks on mine.  But bluing is less robust than phosphating...
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All four of the 20 rounders I bought from CDNN have the same type of blueing wear.  For the price, I couldn't care less.  They all have the bumps on the follower.

I agree, 19.99 is a great price for these mags so I can deal with a little finnish ware.

I remember not long ago paying 100.00-125.00 a peice for these
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, 19.99 is a great price for these mags so I can deal with a little finnish ware.

I remember not long ago paying 100.00-125.00 a peice for these

I don't think you will find anyone to argue the price, as $19.99 is a great price for these mags.  It would just be nice if they were noted as having finish blemishes or being old stock with handling wear or whatever.  I have 20 year old prebans that look better than that as well as other multi-year old blued Metalforms.  My mags have been repeatedly dropped to the ground and are generally just thrown into my range bag, and they still don't have that level of finish wear.  The blued Metalforms, in my experience, are also very susceptible to rusting if they get wet and are not dried/oiled quickly.  I've had a couple that I shot a match with in the rain and I just threw them in my range bag when I was done.  When I went to clean them up the next day, they had already developed quite a layer of surface rust...YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I posted previously that the mags I got from CDNN were not engaging the bolt catch fully so that it held the bolt open when empty.  I contacted metalform last week by email.  They're telling me to send them in so that they can address the issue.  We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I posted previously that the mags I got from CDNN were not engaging the bolt catch fully so that it held the bolt open when empty.  I contacted metalform last week by email.  They're telling me to send them in so that they can address the issue.  We'll see what happens.

Could be a problem with the bolt catch itself.  There is not a lot of engagement with some catches.  Before you send them in, you may want to check that out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I just got 2 of the 32 round mags from cdnn today, they have the nubs and they are blued. The finish has a light scratch or two but not bad looking like the photo above. They are still a bit sticky to the touch from being oiled.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#43]
kevins_garage:

Yeah.  I checked that.  The long bolt catch extends well over the follower tab, and the follower tab is definitely pushing up on the bolt catch, it just doesn't raise it high enough for bolt catch to engage the bolt. It's just slightly lower than with my promags.

We'll see what Metalform says.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
kevins_garage:

Yeah.  I checked that.  The long bolt catch extends well over the follower tab, and the follower tab is definitely pushing up on the bolt catch, it just doesn't raise it high enough for bolt catch to engage the bolt. It's just slightly lower than with my promags.

We'll see what Metalform says.

Could be the metal followers haven't "broken in" enough - I run all polymer followers because I never felt the metal were as "smooth", especially in the park'd finish.  Could be the springs are a bit weak - some prefer to run the Wolf upgrade springs because they are "stronger".  Could be a bad follower with a short BHO tab...  Hopefully Metalform gets you straightened out quick.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Well I tried out my 19.99 CDNN 20rnd Metalform mags, all 4 worked flawlessly. Also to my suprise they also hold 24rnds and still worked flawlessly. Great buy for the money.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top