Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 9:07:58 PM EDT
will they hurt my rifle or is this a myth?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
you mean wolf ammo? I shoot it all the time. Its great and will not hurt your rifle
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I mean wolf...you caught me.......a guy at the range  told me that it will hurt my handgun and I was wondering if it would hurt my AR.......I didnt really believe him though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Brass is metal too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Brass is metal too.

I mean non-copper based.....thanks for that
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Steel cased wolf is a mild steel case and will not hurt a chrome lined or steel chamber.Remeber during world war 2 alot of .45 acp ammo was steel cased some surplus I get is like this,60 yrs old and works fine in my 1911.I have how ever switched to chromed extractors for my AR just to have a little more piece of mind.I use wolf to plink with and after many thousands of rounds my rifle is fine and alot of wolf I used was the old laquer cased stuff.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 1:22:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah I mean wolf...you caught me.......a guy at the range  told me that it will hurt my handgun and I was wondering if it would hurt my AR.......I didnt really believe him though.

What the guy meant is it will hurt your gun by you shooting it more (because you can afford more ammo), and this wears it out faster.

Never listen to anyone at the range....don't you know that? I mean, unless he's a former Seal...cause most of the guys at the range are. But, you're regular range guy? Nope, he's lyin.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 2:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]
most of the wolf ammo I have had/have, is also lightly lubed, you have to make sure you clean out the lube after shooting, but hell I always clean right there at the range after shooting. And never had a problem with wolf.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 3:56:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Steel cased ammo is no harder on a gun (in general and with some caveats) than brass or aluminum cased ammo.

Ok, some caveats: the gun must be in good condition.  The ammo must be loaded to SAMMI or military specs-not some super hot stuff, for example.  The ammo must physically meet the specs for its particular caliber-case diameter and length must be correct, bullet diameter must be correct too.  Of course these all apply to brass and aluminum cased cartridges as well.

The steel used in cartridge cases is supposed to be fairly soft and springy, much like brass is.  It's easier to make steel cases that hold up well to firing, (brass work hardens so it needs anealing when it's necked down, while steel does not), but it has drawbacks too, primarily in that softer steel rusts pretty quickly.  That's why there's a green or gray coating on steel cased Wolf brand ammunition-to keep it from rusting.  The coating can also adhere itself to your chamber, barrel extension where the cases slide through, and similar areas, so you sometimes need to scrub the gun pretty well after firing it.

Some people have a "thing" against steel cased rounds, or against Wolf (or Bernaul, or Monarch, or any other Russian manufacturer).  It's not a real problem for your rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top