Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 1:02:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 9:06:49 AM EST by Skyyr]
Thanks to some suggestions, I've narrowed my soon-to-be new optic down to two choices:
- The Meopta KDot
- Leupold MR/T 1.5-5x22

I like the Leupold better between the two, however I noticed that the Leupold's adjustments are calibrated for 62 gr. 5.56 ammunition. I really wanted a neutral optic that could be adjusted to work with any ammunition, as I mainly shoot 75-gr match ammo. That said, can anyone comment on how the calibration and adjustment knobs actually work on the Leupold? Also, the reticle of the Leupold seems to have markings/holdover/etc - I've looked and can't find any specific info on it. Could someone elaborate?

And, between the two, can anyone add their .02 as to any drawbacks of either one? The Meopta seems straightforward, hence my lack of direct questions about it.

Thanks and regards =)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:36:58 PM EST
For the Leupold....

You can get dials specific to your particular load from the Leupold Custom shop ...e.g. 75gr....i think it's $50 for 1 dial.....so that can be corrected for your type of ammo.....

The Reticule is calibrated to an m4 ss109 at 2800fps...as per the Leupold Documentation.....http://www2.leupold.com/resources/downloads/2009_Tactical_Catalog.pdf - there's a section on the SPR Reticule....page 54....i personally dont know why they didnt come up with better hold overs..i mean for a 5.56....350, 450, 550, 650....to 850....seems a touch far... would have liked to see a 200, 300, 400, 500.....or 250, 350, 450, 550.....but i'm surely not an optics guru....

I have this scope, havent shot it yet....built like a tank, great feel / controls, great size /weight....not daylight visable in arizona sun unless dark target...think it will meet my needs....no experience with the other scope...

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:11:20 AM EST
Thanks.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:05:16 AM EST
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:54:56 PM EST
I may not have much to add, but I'll toss in my $.02. I have the Leupold. I like it. It was my first scope, bought it all of 4-5 months ago. I use it mainly for 3 gun. Sometimes shooting 50-100 yards. I have no idea about the 62g ammo calibration. I shoot 55 grain, zeroed it and was done. Since I am scope dumb, and this was my first, I found it easy to work with. The Leupold does have some holdover marking on it, but I do not know what they correspond to. Since our 3 gun matchs are CQB type stuff, this scope sees most of its use inside 100 feet.

Overall, the only bad thing I can say about it is that the illuminated reticle is not daylight visible. Otherwise, I have no complaints and like it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:41:15 PM EST
Can't comment on the Leupold but I tried both a Meopta and a TR24 and kept the Trijicon. The Meopta worked as advertised but I could not pick up the reticle as fast with it as I could the TR24, especially from the off shoulder. I shot better groups with the Meopta prone with a bipod but everything else the TR24 performed better.

Even under the brightest sun, the Meopta reticle did not wash out. The TR24 seemed more forgiving of eye relief and head placement.

If you shoot anything close, I think you would like the 1X of the Meopta more.
Top Top