Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2011 11:52:49 AM EDT
Can anybody give me a few tips on gunsmiths that can cut and thread Ar15 barrels and have them melonited? It would be preferable to have it all done under one roof but even if anyone wants to recommend some places that will just melonite barrels it would be much appreciated. Thanks all!
-Vne
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]
ADDAX will Ion bond a barrel, I did not see that they would cut and thread.

ADCO will cut and thread,  GunKote or Parkerizing Mil-Spec Phosphate Finish

I think there was a thread earlier regarding melonite

ETA for link... Found it ... http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=523317
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Coal Creek Armory does meloniting.  I don't know if they'll do the barrel work or not, but highly possible that they would.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Call up Coal Creek...they are gunsmiths.  Worked on my Colt 1911.  But they do send the stuff out to Melonite.  They do QC the work.  They did a fantastic job on my Colt.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
i am surprised nobody has done bcgs yet...
wonder if there is a reason.

FWIW, i have heard that melonite does not yield optimum results in barrels accuracy wise
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

FWIW, i have heard that melonite does not yield optimum results in barrels accuracy wise

I had wondered the same thing. You'd think that if a melonited bore could handle that kind of stress then a BCG would do alright.

I had not heard that melonite could interfere with accuracy. This would be for a SBR anyway so I'm not exactly looking for a long range tack driver but, nonetheless, if you have any links to material on the topic, I'd love to read it.

THanks again for all the input fellas.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/719

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had wondered the same thing. You'd think that if a melonited bore could handle that kind of stress then a BCG would do alright.

I had not heard that melonite could interfere with accuracy. This would be for a SBR anyway so I'm not exactly looking for a long range tack driver but, nonetheless, if you have any links to material on the topic, I'd love to read it.

I would contact Grant for more info
We found out that Meloniting barrels of small bore calibers does not lend itself to accuracy. Works fine with things like 308, 6.5, 9mm, 45, etc.

link

Grant is well regarded in these things
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/719

thanks,
I would have thought there would be more buzz about these considering how much ionbonding gets
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would contact Grant for more info

We found out that Meloniting barrels of small bore calibers does not lend itself to accuracy. Works fine with things like 308, 6.5, 9mm, 45, etc.

link

Grant is well regarded in these things
Harrison says the opposite.  He's well regarded as well.  It may have something to do with how the melonite is applied.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=523317

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#11]
this is one of those things that would really benefit from some independent studies, on paper melonite has a lot going for it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#12]
when I had my Colt Gold Cup Melonite treated, I left the match bbl untreated.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got an Adams Arms 5.56 16" that's melonited... It's a tack driver IMHO... The BCG that comes with the kit is melonited as well and it's held up flawlessly!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top