Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2008 3:24:01 PM EDT
Ok, i am attempting my first build. I have a Mega Gator lower as well as a mega upper w/out ramps. I want either  a 16" or 18" ss bead blasted bull barrel. That is exactly what i want. The problem is i was after a RRA barrel. Apparently they are unattainable right now. As i have been unable to find one. So i am left to wonder what to do. I don't want to spend a ton on the barrel. The RRA was in my range. Do you folks have any suggestions. The rifle will be used for hunting and recreational shooting. It must meet the following criteria.

1.Stainless bead blasted.
2.Bull
3.16-18"
4.Economical

I generally use the best ammo i can afford for hunting so that helps. Also what would be a good rate of twist for this barrel 1/9 or 1/8. Can anyone help me find a barrel that meets the criteria? I am ready to buy now.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Ok, i am attempting my first build. I have a Mega Gator lower as well as a mega upper w/out ramps. I want either  a 16" or 18" ss bead blasted bull barrel. That is exactly what i want. The problem is i was after a RRA barrel. Apparently they are unattainable right now. As i have been unable to find one. So i am left to wonder what to do. I don't want to spend a ton on the barrel. The RRA was in my range. Do you folks have any suggestions. The rifle will be used for hunting and recreational shooting. It must meet the following criteria.

1.Stainless bead blasted.
2.Bull
3.16-18"
4.Economical

I generally use the best ammo i can afford for hunting so that helps. Also what would be a good rate of twist for this barrel 1/9 or 1/8. Can anyone help me find a barrel that meets the criteria? I am ready to buy now.

Thanks

Check with ADCO, they advertise on this sight and are stand-up people.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]
www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_items.aspx?type=0&term=70&pg=2

PKfirearms has a 16" and 18" RRA bull barrels in stock but I don't think they are bead blasted. You could contact them and see if they have or can get that option for you. They are a highly reputable dealer here. Buy with confidence, if you decide to do so.

You could always get the bead blasting done afterwards also.

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have made a couple orders for various things from PKF and they have treated me quite well, although there lack of shipping options kind of annoys me, but oh well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
i know some of you are going to kick me in the nuts, or at least want to, but why not try out olympic - www.olyarms.com.  they have a good reputation for having very good barrels, and you can get 16 and 20" ss that are black, but you may want to give them a call for 18"

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=20&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=57&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

looks like the "ultramatch" are 223, not 5.56 chambered but can be had in black or "satin"
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
You think the HBAR would be better than Bull? Ar they as accurate reliable etc?
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You mean one of those monster bull barrels? Why not get a good hbar barrel?www.whiteoakarmament.com/barrels.htm

+1

Check with ADCO

or you could talk to Tim @ Ko-tonics and get you a 6.8 hunting/tackdriver barrel
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmm, this info on the HBAR barrels is compelling. If i can get the same results with a lighter barrel why wouldn't i consider it? Ok then perhaps i need to look more closely at the HBAR then. It seems the WOA are ones to look at.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hmm, this info on the HBAR barrels is compelling. If i can get the same results with a lighter barrel why wouldn't i consider it? Ok then perhaps i need to look more closely at the HBAR then. It seems the WOA are ones to look at.

Barrel thickness, in and of itself has nothing to do with accuracy. Neither does barrel length. Barrel thickness does help with barrel heat. The thicker the barrel, the longer it takes to heat up. A cool barrel will typically group better then a hot barrel. The other thing to consider is barrel stiffness. The stiffer the better but stiffness is a combo of profile and length. I would be willing to bet 16" 'HBAR' is just as stiff as a 20" 'Bull'

Also keep in mind that the shooter is more important to the equation then the barrel is. How good of a shot are you? Unless you are a "grand master" class shooter, I would be willing to bet you wouldn't see any real life difference between any of the quality SS match barrels out there, regardless of length or profile, within say 300yrds or so. There comes a point of diminished returns and unless you are really on top of your game, the differences between a $200-$300 match barrel and $400-$500 top of the line custom barrel will be lost on you.

Most people have found the HBAR is as heavy as you would really want to go for anything other then a dedicated bench gun. It will give you plenty of stiffness and heat resistance without being complete hell to carry or shoot off hand.

Quoted:
There are tons of good barrels. I think WOA gets their barrels from Compass Lake.

I think you mean John gets his blanks from CLE? I thnk it depends on how much you want to spend? I believe he will turn you one from just about any blank you want if you are willing to pay $$

I too recommend WOA as the best value in semi custom barrels. Call John and he can turn you just about whatever you want as well as bead blast it and dimple it for whatever gas block you plan to use and he will do all of that for a very reasonable price. Just tell him what you want and what you're willing to pay and he'll hook you up
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top