Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/7/2015 7:57:33 PM EDT
Just picked up a pair of McKay RM16A1 lowers , ordered direct through McKay's web site & shipped to my FFL. I did have to lightly run a 1/4" bit through the front takedown holes.  Back pin holes were GTG.  Both sets of holes on receiver 2 were GTG as received.  Since everybody likes pictures though best to post some.

receiver #1
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
receiver #2 did have a small mark on the rear (visible in 1st 2 pic's) but no other issues whatsoever.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as your happy, that's all that matters. You are the second person to post that these lowers need modifications. And the blems shown are not acceptable at least to me for what McKay is asking cost wise. But, glad we have another choice for A1 lowers in the future.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the review OP. Were these back ordered? I'm still seeing the web site as saying that they're not available?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for sharing.  I really like the way they are marked.  Nice and plain without spiders or snakes.  Be different if logo's were deer, jacks, coyotes or chucks.  Shame one has the blemish but should be an easy enough cover up.  Not like authentic Colts didn't / don't have lots of blemishes.  Looks like a couple of real nice builds in near future.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it the camera or are they lighter in color than Nodak lowers?  I love my eight Nodak lowers, but additional options are good. Maybe Nodak will catch up with demand
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it the camera or are they lighter in color than Nodak lowers?  I love my eight Nodak lowers, but additional options are good. Maybe Nodak will catch up with demand
View Quote

These are the same gray as the Nodak Spud lowers. US Anodizing did these. There was just a limited run. I did let McKay Enterprises know of the issues.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:23:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like they're starting with an A2 forging, then they're machining material off to make them into A1s.  Nothing wrong with that.  Most of my lowers went thru that process.

I believe NoDak starts with A1 forgings.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:45:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Profile is closer, but not close enough for me... Not when NoDak makes what they do.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Ordered one yesterday to update my XM177 which has a black Nodak lower. Will probable build something else with it when switched out. Would be nice if Nodak could keep their lowers in stock or give you a better idea when you would get one if ordered. Doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As long as your happy, that's all that matters. You are the second person to post that these lowers need modifications. And the blems shown are not acceptable at least to me for what McKay is asking cost wise. But, glad we have another choice for A1 lowers in the future.
View Quote

Just when it seems the wait for NDS lowers becomes unbearable, along comes these posts to help us realize why those lowers are worth the wait.  Thanks for posting the pics OP!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just when it seems the wait for NDS lowers becomes unbearable, along comes these posts to help us realize why those lowers are worth the wait.  Thanks for posting the pics OP!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I bought one of the first of the new McKay A1 lowers a few months ago. It looked good right away. That was up until I started to distress it and then assemble the parts in it. Fortunately, I did not pay what they are now. For the money, the NDS lowers are a far cry better. Also the fact that shipping is included in their prices makes them a better deal than the McKay lowers, not to mention better quality.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#12]
McKay may continue to improve on this product, if given relevant feedback.

I finally purchased one of their A2 lowers for an A2 build, and couldn't be happier with it.

It would be nice to have more than a single source for quality clone A1 lowers.  My NDS lower was fantastic, but I purchased mine back when demand was less and shipping times were measured in weeks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Received my McKay lower. Here are two pictures to compare with my Nodak E1. Over all they are close although I see some slight difference in the two. Seems to go together ok. Have not test fired it yet.  

McKay lower unfinished Nodak E1 finished
" />

McKay lower on my XM177 next to Nodak on my E1
" />
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I'm going to stick with No-Dak, but it's always great to have more options.

If the McKay lowers were $75 less than NDS I might pick one up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to stick with No-Dak, but it's always great to have more options.

If the McKay lowers were $75 less than NDS I might pick one up.
View Quote

I'm with you. The machining marks around the extension tube ring remind me of some of the
early 40's mosin machining chatter

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried to get one ordered but they sold out before I could get with my FFL. So tired of waiting to build my A1. Nodak never has anything ready to ship. Tempted to sell my parts. :(
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I tried to get one ordered but they sold out before I could get with my FFL. So tired of waiting to build my A1. Nodak never has anything ready to ship. Tempted to sell my parts. :(
View Quote

Order from NDS and wait. It will be well worth it. Their lead time is not as bad as it was during the last panic. The NoDak lowers also look better.

Remember an election is coming next year, we'll probably have to deal with a BS scare again.

ETA: just because I like your ARFCOM name

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Order from NDS and wait. It will be well worth it. Their lead time is not as bad as it was during the last panic. The NoDak lowers also look better.

Remember an election is coming next year, we'll probably have to deal with a BS scare again.

<a href="http://s983.photobucket.com/user/44Echo10/media/CAR%20STUFF/FORD/RONNIESOX64COMETAFX_zpsxnhn2otb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/44Echo10/CAR%20STUFF/FORD/RONNIESOX64COMETAFX_zpsxnhn2otb.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s983.photobucket.com/user/44Echo10/media/CAR%20STUFF/FORD/SoxampMartin_zpsfaznklu3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/44Echo10/CAR%20STUFF/FORD/SoxampMartin_zpsfaznklu3.jpg</a>

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s983.photobucket.com/user/44Echo10/media/CAR%20STUFF/FORD/RONNIESOX64COMETAFX_zpsxnhn2otb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/44Echo10/CAR%20STUFF/FORD/RONNIESOX64COMETAFX_zpsxnhn2otb.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s983.photobucket.com/user/44Echo10/media/CAR%20STUFF/FORD/SoxampMartin_zpsfaznklu3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/44Echo10/CAR%20STUFF/FORD/SoxampMartin_zpsfaznklu3.jpg</a>

^I know the guy that runs the tribute car of the Sox Comet in the Nostalgia series. Mine is a drag car from the 60s but not a big block.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#19]
This is my project. A RTI M16A1 parts kit. I have a modern A2 80% vintage engraved and anodized early grey by US Anodizizng. But it appears way too light grey in finish. Almost like grey primer.

I never got a jig to finish the lower, but the grey is a bad match. I've since changed the lower with an Anderson lower and the modern black is a much better match. The pic doesn't really show the true color of the upper but it is more black than grey.

I guess I will try Nodak and see if I can get on the list for a better lower for this build.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is my project. A RTI M16A1 parts kit. I have a modern A2 80% vintage engraved and anodized early grey by US Anodizizng. But it appears way too light grey in finish. Almost like grey primer.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m58/predfan2001/IMG_5913_zpsmmo87078.png

I never got a jig to finish the lower, but the grey is a bad match. I've since changed the lower with an Anderson lower and the modern black is a much better match. The pic doesn't really show the true color of the upper but it is more black than grey.

I guess I will try Nodak and see if I can get on the list for a better lower for this build.
View Quote

The newer lowers from NDS have a darker grey color than thier earlier lowers had. I have(had) a lighter grey A1 lower from before they changed location and a newer darker grey XM lower, same color situation as your pic shows. The early lower now has a camo paint job so I can't compare them for you.

OT: Do you have a link to this nostalgia drag series?? Another area of interest for me. I'll have to be a spectator though. My budget can't afford a nostalgia AF/X car, front engine dragster, B stocker, SS/A...ETC My personal favorite class, Modified Production.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Since McKay is out of stock, I worked out an order with Nodak.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I like that you even did a build for your pup, but maybe a carbine would be better for his paw span!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been communicating with Harlan at Nodak the past 2 days and he's been really helpful. I've got an order in for a XM gray NDS-XM16E1 lower. It's on backorder but I'm not in a rush. He said maybe 1-2 months for the next run to complete.

Looking back, I think US Anodizing may have done my 80% in the wrong color. I'm sure it's too late to complain now. I should've looked it over closer when I had it down a few months back rather than just stow it away.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top