Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2003 9:12:36 AM EDT
I like 'em.

McFarland gas rings or USGI three rings.
Which do you prefer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Gene spent 100s of thousands of dollars designing the 3 rings. Im not going to screw it up.

Mc farland rings go in the bin with the Defender, accuwedge, titanium F.P., Chink carry handle scope. arms #2 mount.
GG
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Gene spent 100s of thousands of dollars designing the 3 rings. Im not going to screw it up.

Mc farland rings go in the bin with the [red]Defender[/red], accuwedge, titanium F.P., Chink carry handle scope. arms #2 mount.
GG
View Quote

Pardon my ignorance but what is the Defender?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Mc farland rings go in the bin with the [red]Defender[/red], accuwedge, titanium F.P., Chink carry handle scope. arms #2 mount.
GG
View Quote

View Quote

It's a little blue D-ring that fits over the extractor spring to provide more tension. Costs about $14.00, a Wolff XP extractor spring does the same thing for a lot less. IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

GG
View Quote

View Quote

It's a little blue D-ring that fits over the extractor spring to provide more tension. Costs about $14.00, a Wolff XP extractor spring does the same thing for a lot less. IMHO.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen M16's run on one gas ring. I have no idea were the other two went but the thing ran great. I look at it this way. Three is better than one. If one of the three fails the other two pick up the slack.

Another fix for a non-existing problem
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Mc farland rings go in the bin with the Defender, accuwedge, titanium F.P., Chink carry handle scope. arms #2 mount.
GG
View Quote

Don't forget to throw the P.O.S. "HellFire" in there too...
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]
My original rings set up in my eagle arms before they became armilite,,, broke fairly early on,,, actually they didnt break one of the three was bent to a 90 degree angle when i replaced them with a mcF one peice ring and ran that one what seemed forever, I personaly will continue there use until i cant get them anymore. And yes i use an accu wedge also!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#8]
GunGuru, why did the arms #2 make your list? I thought arms had the best mounts available...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Dammit I new I forgot something, Yes the Hellfire trigger.

the arm#2 is a high quality piece but put the sight too high. therefor it was useless for me & a waste of money. I tried to sell it to my bro for $55 so I could buy a #39 which is the BEST. He bought a #2 and found just like me it is too high.

GG
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The gas ring in my Armalite sh** itself one day at the range...one of the Highpower shooters there gave me the McFarland rings...they've been on there ever since, so they must work hehehe...and they were free!  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have seen M16's run on one gas ring. I have no idea were the other two went but the thing ran great. I look at it this way. Three is better than one. If one of the three fails the other two pick up the slack.
View Quote

I see 1-2 M16's a year that fail with 3 gas rings and need them replaced.

The one piece gas ring works very well and I use them in M16's and AR16's.

I am amazed that one gas ring was able to work by itself, but in a fairly new gun, I suppose it is possible.

Hmmm...  In fact I might try it just to see it work/not work.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#12]

When I do change out rings I switch to the one piece set up.

Then I don't have to try and offset the gap alignment.

They seem to work really well.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I would not have believed that an M16 would run on one standard ring but I saw it with my own eyes. I have taken just about every one of our M4's out, aligned the gas rings, and could not get them to fail. Maybe I am just having great luck but I don't think so. On the other hand I have had to replace my share of gas rings that have worn out. This is the most common repair that I perform on our M4's.

If the McFarland works for you use it. Personnaly I do not see it as an improvement over the three ring set up.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top