Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2003 5:50:31 AM EDT
Folks,
Is there any benefit using the McFarland gas ring instead of the current 3 gasrings (outside the "timing" of the 3 rings, I don't mind to watch that once in a while)
Thanks, leonard
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Beyond not having to stagger the ring gaps the only one would be a lower part count.

Yes I have one, Was it worth the 6 bucks... yes because I HATE <--- Yes hate trying to set the three rings to different points.

Mind you this is all based on a belief like Santa Clause that aligned rings will make your rifle short stroke.

Now ask me about Neumatic buffers and I will tell you get one! So I've now increased my parts count beyond OEM.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Santa Clause will make my rifle short stroke? That evil bastard!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I too installed one on my match rifle... and started to experience short strokes, jams and double feeds.
Upon examining the ring, I could see that it was wearing out, as if the bolt carrier was slightly smaller in diameter, and was "squeezing" the ring.
As a matter of fact, with the McFarland ring installed the bolt was much harder to slide in and out of the carrier.
Once replaced the McFarland ring with the original 3 piece rings, the malfunctions disappeared.
I must add that I have a Les Baer match bolt and bolt carrier, which works wonders.
So for me, at least, my experience has been negative.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Was it worth the 6 bucks... yes because...
View Quote

uhh, Armalite only wants $1.25 for 'em!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:05:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I too installed one on my match rifle... and started to experience short strokes, jams and double feeds.
Upon examining the ring, I could see that it was wearing out, as if the bolt carrier was slightly smaller in diameter, and was "squeezing" the ring.
As a matter of fact, with the McFarland ring installed the bolt was much harder to slide in and out of the carrier.
Once replaced the McFarland ring with the original 3 piece rings, the malfunctions disappeared.
I must add that I have a Les Baer match bolt and bolt carrier, which works wonders.
So for me, at least, my experience has been negative.
View Quote

The exact same thing happened to me with by bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Avoid the McFarland rings, unless you like clearing jams. I've pulled several out of used guns I've bought, and also cured several friend's rifles that were malfing because they had installed one. It's an attempt to cure a nonexisting problem, except that the "cure" frequently kills the patient.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Like anything I have the oposite side of the coin. 6k on the one piece ring and no problems.

I did install the one piece ring before ever shooting the rifle so maybe mine just broke in better?

I have no idea...

Like I said it's a cure for a mythical problem.. and you don't need one... that is unless your OCD like me then it becomes a must have.

It ranks with the little bolts they sell to keep bad guys from taking your pistol apart before you can shoot them.

Yes a TV Ninja can pop your pistol apart with the aid of special effects, but now you can stop the nightmare with...

"GLOCK-GLUE" and the "Beretta-Bolt"
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top