Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2013 3:37:43 PM EST

I just remove my carry handle/rear sight to look at the rail under it. I put the carry handle/sight back. And now my rear aperture is loose! It will move without any pressure apply, it used to take a little pressure from my finger to it click back and forth. Anyone know how to retighten it? Thank. By the way I only owned one AR15 and not very knowledge about AR15 stuff.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 3:48:21 PM EST
If you are talking about changing apertures back and forth, there is a piece of spring steel underneath it that gives it tension. It's number 8 in the pic below. Check to make sure all the pieces are still there.

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 4:05:25 PM EST

Look like to me the piece is still there.

sight by gundamzaku999, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 4:22:17 PM EST
You need more fiber.

Seriously, check that the pins are where they should be and something didn't get bent or bound up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 4:35:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/10/2013 4:36:46 PM EST by RevMetric]
Originally Posted By gundam999:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/longnguy/9259579660/" target="_blank">http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7315/9259579660_ccb164ab6f.jpg</a>

Make sure the spring under the aperture is making contact with the bottom of the aperture when you roll it over. It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like it's further back than it should be. If it's putting the correct tension on the aperture, it should be the hardest to move as you roll that bottom edge across it when flipping from one to another.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 6:52:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By RevMetric:
Originally Posted By gundam999:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/longnguy/9259579660/" target="_blank">http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7315/9259579660_ccb164ab6f.jpg</a>

Make sure the spring under the aperture is making contact with the bottom of the aperture when you roll it over. It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like it's further back than it should be. If it's putting the correct tension on the aperture, it should be the hardest to move as you roll that bottom edge across it when flipping from one to another.

The spring steel is not making contact with the aperture. How can I correct it?
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 1:35:34 AM EST
New spring, flat blade screwdrivewr, and a 1/16" punch. A touch of grease will help also to hold the ball bearing in place when the windage knob is put back on.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 7:32:10 AM EST
Is this what I need?

Bushmaster AR15 Rear Sight Aperture Spring

spring by gundamzaku999, on Flickr

How will I remove the rear aperture to replace the spring?
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 10:05:24 AM EST
That's what you need.

To replace it, use a small punch to push out the pin in the windage knob and remove the knob.
Be careful not to loose the small ball and spring that's in the knob.

Us a screwdriver to unscrew the windage screw from the sight aperture so you can lift the aperture and windage screw out.

Apply grease to the top of the new flat spring, and re-insert the aperture and the windage screw.

Make sure the spring and ball are in place in the windage knob and you have the windage knob right side up, then press the knob on the windage screw until you can re-insert the pin.
When the sight is set in the middle of the index marks on the base, the windage knob should be orientated with the markings upward.

One trick is to get a section of a smaller diameter pin and use it as a "slave pin" to hold the knob in place. This makes it easier to get the actual retention pin started. As the pin is pushed in it will push the slave pin out.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:59:53 PM EST
Got it fixed. It was a total bitch to get all the little pieces to fit together. Thank to all who help. Thank
Top Top