Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/16/2003 6:42:34 PM EDT
I have a question for probably you ar builders out there. I'm getting one custom built from Bushmaster. Overall, it's basically a varminter, but I wanted something a little more durable than the dcm (although it is EXTREMELY accurate). Accuracy is the other thing I would really like so I opted for the National Match 24" chrome lined. I hope I can get good results with that which from what I hear, I can. The only deal, I can go ahead and get a matched bolt for this chrome lined barrel (the dcm comes with a matched bolt). What kind of accuracy will I gain, is it worth it??

Thanks

Gundraw
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:51:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GunDraw: I have a question for probably you ar builders out there. I'm getting one custom built from Bushmaster. Overall, it's basically a varminter, but I wanted something a little more durable than the dcm (although it is EXTREMELY accurate). Accuracy is the other thing I would really like so I opted for the National Match 24" chrome lined. I hope I can get good results with that which from what I hear, I can. The only deal, I can go ahead and get a matched bolt for this chrome lined barrel (the dcm comes with a matched bolt). What kind of accuracy will I gain, is it worth it?? Thanks Gundraw
View Quote
Hype.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:37:16 PM EDT
What the hell is a "matched bolt". I am totally unfamiliar with the term. Thr only matching I've ever considered necessary for an AR bolt is that it have proper headspace with the chamber. If these people are claiming that there is some "matching" process beyond proper headspacing, that goes beyond hype all the way to total BS.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:07:22 PM EDT
That doesn't suprise me. I'm not familiar with what they call bolt matching. I know what it is on a bolt action rifle, and how they do that. But i had never heard of this for Ar-15's which is why I asked. From the sound of it, that's a load of crap. With the setup I have described, would I be looking at sub moa accuracy with GOOD ammunition?? maybe .5 moa?? Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:09:45 PM EDT
Do they also sell a National Match charging handle?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:27:17 PM EDT
Get out your checkbook, I'm sure they could, uh, rig you up with one. hehe
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:27:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:16:33 AM EDT
you will pay more for match "bore", which is tighter. As far as "match bolt", it is their business stradegy to ask people to pay more.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:18:21 AM EDT
I believe Bushmaster offers a "matched bolt" with its DCM and Varminter guns. I have shot a friends DCM, and own a Varminter. Both are very accurate. Maybe not all hype[:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:38:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SP10: I believe Bushmaster offers a "matched bolt" with its DCM and Varminter guns. I have shot a friends DCM, and own a Varminter. Both are very accurate. Maybe not all hype[:D]
View Quote
The accuracy is in the barrel, not the bolt. About all you gain by "matching" a bolt is to select one that might headspace tighter than another, again this has little to nothing to do with enhancing the accuracy of a rifle. If someone wants to pay more, go for it. However, I dare say any other rifle with a non "matched" bolt will shoot just as good if not better. Marketing hype, pure and simple.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:27:13 AM EDT
Got an email back from Bushmaster today, here's what they say "We match the bolt to a barrel that has the best headspace allowable to SAAMI standards for headspace. This improves the accuracy of the barrels." So, getting rather sketchy on that, but I appreciate the input. This is my first AR so I'm not to saavy with all the new things they have to offer (or don't in this case). Appreciate the help. Gundraw
Top Top