Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2004 5:21:30 AM EST
I'm building my first AR-15 was wondering if it is poor practice to keep one upper and switch out barrels as desired? Also, should bolts and bolt carriers be married / dedicated to a particular barrel or just kept with the same upper? Am I worrying alot about nothing?

I realize it is much easier to switch out a complete upper, but to begin with I won't have enough funds to purchase another full upper. Initially, I'm purchasing a 14.5" barrel with a phantom flash hider but would also like to get a 20" barrel for longer range targets.

Recently, I saw one message concerning this but I can't find it again.

Thanks for the help,

M.L.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:39:26 AM EST
IMO, a bolt should be married to the barrel so that the lugs will wear evenly. The bolt carrier should be fine for sharing though.

I don't really see a problem switching barrels around on the same upper, but I think it would be such a pain in the a$$ that I would spend the $80-$100 to get another upper.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:59:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By Vector_Joe:
IMO, a bolt should be married to the barrel so that the lugs will wear evenly. The bolt carrier should be fine for sharing though.

I don't really see a problem switching barrels around on the same upper, but I think it would be such a pain in the a$$ that I would spend the $80-$100 to get another upper.

+1

At least just buy a couple of uppers for the barrels and switch out Forward assist parts, trap door, charging handle, and sights if your trying to go that cheap. Your only talking $100 more per barrel to not have all that hassle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:13:26 PM EST
Just get a new complete upper. If you keep changing out different barrels on the same upper you will wear out the threads.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:01:27 PM EST
After I get all of the furniture for my first one, then I guess I'll look for another upper receiver and barrel.

This is addicting (and expensive)!

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:06:08 PM EST
Very expensive.
Top Top