Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 4:30:12 PM EST
What is the correct markings for a Colt carry handle? What manufacturer uses the keyhole mark? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:49:45 AM EST

The keyhole is Cerro, they're providing raw forgings to all the major players...

www.cerrofabricated.com/products_firearm.htm

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:36:50 AM EST
Thanks for the info. I have a carry handle that I bought as a Colt it has a A2 mark just ahead of the sight. Is this correct for a Colt handle? Thanks!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:07:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2004 10:29:03 AM EST by tfisch67]
Northman.

I had the exact same question. I received an "A2" (kind of an "A" slightly separated horizontally) marked carry handle on my NIB Colt LE6920 upper. The upper itself has the keyhole mark from cerro forge.

I tried to answer my question by going to biggerhammer and looking at the forging guide on that site. It is an older listing, as the keyhole mark isn't even listed. However, they did say that an "A" symbolizes Olympic Arms, which made me a little upset.

Then I got this listing of forging sources from another site, which made me feel a little better...it said that the "splintered A" symbolizes an Anchor Harvey forging.

"Alcoa Aluminum (Bushmaster, Colt)
Kaiser Aluminum (Bushmaster, Colt)
Martin Marietta (Colt)
Anchor Harvey (Colt)
Continental Machine & Tool (Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River Arms)
Cerro Metal Products (Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River Arms)
Diemaco (Colt)"

I went to the Anchor Harvey website and sure enough, the "splintered A" is their symbol.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:09:00 PM EST
I had a factory Bushmaster 20" HBAR target rifle and the forging mark was the splintered "A" of Anchor Harvey. On the flip side, I got a DPMS kit in from DPMS that had the keyhole forging mark from Cerro. All buy from most of the major forging companies and use them, with a few exceptions, I'm guessing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:13:24 PM EST
The "splintered A" is actually an AH, and yes, it's Anchor Harvey, and yes, all the major builder's are using, or have used, their forgings. Interestingly, I recently picked up an "enhanced" A1 type upper, like the Canadian C7, in which the "AH" was only about half the size of the other ones I've seen, and the A and H were far enough apart so you could actually see they were separate letters. Later, I saw a pic in Bushmaster's catalog, of their C7 type upper, with exactly the same forging mark variation.

Not important, but I find these little things mildly interesting
Top Top