Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/26/2005 6:51:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 7:54:42 AM EDT by RobDog]
Has anyone done this modification to their A2 carry handle gun?

Here it is at Brownells:

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=1854&s=7190

This looks like a job for a AR gunsmith. I was looking for peoples experience with it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:00:29 AM EDT
Too bad Brownells has not posted a pic of the A2 version. I'd like to see it before I commit to cutting and drilling on one of my uppers. Anybody got a pic of the A2 version to post? Interesting idea, attaching screws must run from inside the upper into the mount... have to be counter sunk and totally flush to clear charging handle.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:06:00 AM EDT
You know I originally saw the mount in a friends Gunsite video a few years ago. They just showed a quick shot of it with a Aimpoint co-witnessed with the A2 sight that "stays" with the upper after the handle is removed.

Definitely not a DIY I believe.

Rob
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:04:38 AM EDT
I'm sorry, but why not just sell your A2 upper and get a flattop and BUIS?
Seems like adding a few too many steps to me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:39:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2005 2:40:18 PM EDT by RobDog]
Yea maybe you're right. Somehow I had it in my head that being able to use the existing rear sight would be easier.

What will the PIA factor be getting a flat top upper for the Colt lower?

Rob
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:54:31 PM EDT
I have a buddy that actually has an A2 conversion. We talked at length about it one night over beers. He did it before the flat-top came into existence, and stated that he would NOT do it again since the flat-top exists.

Getting a functional flat-top for a colt lower will not be hard, color matching might be on the other hand.
HTH
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:29:36 AM EDT
Matching the color isn't a concern really. Any color as long as it's black! I'm worried about that take down pin Colt uses. The one with the screw in it. I assume that's not the same as a BM for instance?

Thanks for all the help BTW

Rob
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:34:42 AM EDT
Matching the color isn't a concern really. Any color as long as it's black! I'm worried about that take down pin Colt uses. The one with the screw in it. I assume that's not the same as a BM for instance?

Thanks for all the help BTW

Rob
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:31:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RobDog:
Has anyone done this modification to their A2 carry handle gun?

Here it is at Brownells:

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=1854&s=7190

This looks like a job for a AR gunsmith. I was looking for peoples experience with it.

USMC03 posted some comments about the that opion in the Rifle/Uppers/Lowers forum recently. It was not flattering.

That being said. You can sell your A2 upper and use the funds buy a RRA UTE2 upper which is basically the same thing except the the A2 sight and rail are forged portions of the receiver (not a hack job). It's a better option that will cost you less.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:04:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2005 11:07:58 AM EDT by John_Sprague]
I had an A2 carbine with this mount installed by Gunsite for a number of years. It works well if you want the "always there" iron sights. It is quite robust.

That being said, it also limits your optical sights selection to an Aimpoint with a high ring (low ring puts the dot about half way down the front sight base), it is expensive to have done (I got mine before flattops were around). I would STRONGLY recommend going with a flattop instead of this mount. They were good for what they were when they came out but have been bypassed by product improvements (flattops)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:20:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2005 11:21:05 AM EDT by MudBug]
You guys do realize that you can just buy a flat top upper for the price they are asking for that thing right?

Then sell the upper you don't want and you almost break even.

Why would you consider hacking up what you have?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:33:46 AM EDT
Yea I think the concensus agrees with you. I had it in my head it would be less hassle to cut it up. Good thing I asked. I lost my cool there for a minute.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:48:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:
USMC03 posted some comments about the that opion in the Rifle/Uppers/Lowers forum recently. It was not flattering.

That being said. You can sell your A2 upper and use the funds buy a RRA UTE2 upper which is basically the same thing except the the A2 sight and rail are forged portions of the receiver (not a hack job). It's a better option that will cost you less.

Starts on page 2 and goes onto page 3:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=260481&page=2
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:06:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 12:00:33 PM EDT by RobDog]
Thanks great 411. I appreciate it.

R
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:54:08 AM EDT
Ok since you guys have set me straight I've decided to get a different upper assy. Here's something else I want to be straight on before I spend the "hard earned".

I have a Aimpoint Comp sight that I want to use with the new upper. What will be easier to cowitness with the Comp? For me that is seeing the dot just above the front sight.

This:

www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0874X&storeid=1&image=uelute.gif&CFID=7344185&CFTOKEN=86817359

)r this:

www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0325X&storeid=1&image=ucara4.gif&CFID=7344185&CFTOKEN=86817359

Or will it matter?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:32:57 AM EDT
Either would work find with an Aimpoint or EO Tech. With the UTE 2 you can't use a magnified optic. But if you know you are going to keep an Aimpoint or EO Tech on the gun, the UTE 2 is a great set up:

A few guys have asked me recently about the quality of Rock River Arms rifles. I rank them in the top 3 or 4 AR15 manufacturers.

Recently I have been extreemly impressed with Rock River Arms' quality, even better than Bushmaster quality, and Rock River Arms has their guns priced well below Bushmaster.

That being said, there are a few things that RRA does to their guns that I don't like:

-They come from the factory with a 2 stage trigger (I do not like 2 stage triggers on defensive / tactical gun, seen too many of them go tit's up in classes, matches, and other training)

-Most models come with a HBAR profile barrel (too heavy for my personal preference)

-Most models come with a NON-Chrome lined barrel (a chrome lined barrel is a desirable feature on a defenseive / tactical carbine).

Now that I've pointed out the things I don't like about RRA, these "undesirable features" can be a blessing in disguise.

If you order a RRA from Steve at www.adcofirearms.com he will credit you approximately $65 if you request the two stage trigger be replaced with a standard trigger group.

For around $100 Steve will install a RRA Chrome Lined Barrel on the gun and can profile it to your specification. With the RRA I just ordered, I got a mid-length barrel (I LOVE mid-lengths) I had Steve install a RRA mid-length chrome lined barrel.

The RRA chrome-lined, mid-length barrel is a HBAR profile, which was too heavy and the Govt A2 profile was too thin. I had him profile the mid-length barrel to .73 under the handguards (for reference, the A2 barrel is .75 from the front sight post forward and it's .64 under the handguards).

Currently RRA's prices are $100 to $200 under Bushmaster's prices, depending on the model.

Here are a few of the things that I like about the RRA Elite CAR UTE 2 over the M4 length gas system:

1) the front sight post and gas system are 2" forward of where they are on an M4

2) the mid-length gas system is slightly smoother cycling than the M4

3) because the front sight post is 2" forward on the mid-length it gives you a longer sight radius

4) because the front sight post is 2" forward on the mid-length is also gives you a longer handguard....not a big issue for smaller guys, but some taller guys like to have the extra room so they can put their hand further out on the handguard (when not using a vertical foregrip)

5) the RRA Elite CAR UTE 2 has both a fixed A2 sight and a rail. The down side to this is you can never use a magnified optic on the gun (which, for the most part is not a desierable item on a civilian/LEO - defensive / tactical gun)....The up side is that you have a rock solid back up iron sight that costs you no extra money, it will always be there, it will always be in the "up position".

The UTE 2 is a great setup for a new shooter getting into defensive / tactical shooting.

If the new shooter doesn't have the money for an electronic red dot optic, doesn't know which electronic red dot optic he wants, or wants a basic gun that he can learn to shoot with irons prior to moving onto optics, the UTE 2 give the new shooter a gun that is ready to go out of the box, and optic platforms can be upgraded easily.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:08:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 10:17:51 AM EDT by Onslaught]
USMC03 knows his stuff, and he's got a lot more experience with AR's than I do by a long shot...

BUT I strongly encourage you NOT to get the UTE2 platform.

Reason? Flexibility!

USMC03 has dozens (heck, hundreds? who knows) of AR15s to choose from. His versatility is in the NUMBER of uppers he has. If he wants a magnified optic, he has an upper with one on it. If he wants an A2 and Aimpoint, he has SEVERAL to choose from. If he sees a new configuration or something he wants to try, he builds another one

Unless you've got lots of money and will be purchasing LOTS of uppers/rifles, then I humbly suggest the flat top upper is BY FAR a better choice. If you're only going to have 1 or 2, then what happens when you change your mind again about wanting a different optic or different type of rear sight configuration? You're stuck! What if you decided you wanted the EOTech on this UTE2, but when you mounted it, you found it was too low? You couldn't use the LaRue or even the YHM riser for the EOThingie because they're too long to fit this rail.

Unless you have ONE specific configuration in mind, and that's all the upper will EVER be configured for, I really think most folks would be better off with a flat top, a BUIS, and an optic. Believe me, not too many people on this board can say they bought it, configured it, and NEVER changed it again... I know I sure can't! My first AR started with an A1 carry handle in 1993, and has since been switched to a flat-top and has had at least 6 different BUIS, 5 optics, and 4 different barrels on it. I finally got to a place I could afford more rifles so I didn't have to keep changing that one all the time

I do agree entirely though on the mid-length platform.

My opinion only, as an AR owner for 12 years, a site member for almost 5, and a total of 5 AR15s in various configurations owned in that time, including only 1 A1 upper (my first) and only flat-tops ever since. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:03:00 PM EDT
Hey thanks for the help USMC03. Saved all those pics!

Onslaught...good points I'll have to think this over.

I appreciate all the help on this for sure.

Rob
Top Top