Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2014 1:52:19 AM EDT
Just bought an M&P 15OR...I know its new, but I'm just wondering what's the typical barrel life on this gun using brass ammo...NO STEEL.   And also how do you tell when your barrel is getting to its end life??  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#1]
unless you are competing at a lot of competitions, you will die before your barrel gives up if you maintain it properly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
15 thousand to 45 thousand rounds as a rough guess.

Unless you damage it, it's dead when you decide it's not shooting tight enough groups for you.
A benchrest shooter will replace barrels much more often than most because they are worried about ultimate accuracy.  A person like a friend of mine with is close range training rifle didn't even care until it started keyholing. And the baffle strike.

Most people, shooting at typical ranges, up to say 400 meters maybe, will be fine for quite some time. Is 3 MOA good enough for you? 2? 6?  It's a call YOU make.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Are they chromed lined?  I have never shot out a barrel but I have read 15k to 20k rds.

Steel is GTG.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I wore out a chrome lined 20" govt profile Bushmaster barrel, that I bought new in 2004.... in 10,000 rounds.

I noticed I was having trouble hitting clays with it... and put it to paper.  The group size more than doubled.... and you could not see any rifling just past the throat.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top