Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2003 5:08:19 AM EDT
Getting ready to purchase a CAR 16" A3 parts kit.  I have some experience with Model 1 and would like to hear from folks that have replaced uppers or built entire weapons using M&A Parts Inc.  The most recent Shotgun News sales sheet states; "kits are assembled, headspaced and test fired from a current government contractor"  Does this imply that M&A parts meet Gov't mil spec's (except for Fire Control parts) for M16 series weapons?  How about finish, fit, function, precision machining and reliability?

Thanks in advace for your assistance.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#1]
i want the same answer . M-A has  the best prices in the business.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:01:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Without slamming anyone, I will answer you this way.

What I have found is that for the money, the J&T kits are the cheapest and best quality kits around. Their price has slightly risen since they started producing complete rifles, but not as much as some of the other FFL's.

Bottom line is that you will spend around $50 more on the J&T kit, but will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have built an M&A kit w/ no issues, however my buddy just ordered a 20"A3 w/removable carry handel & is dissapointed & discusted. I checked it out yesterday & was sorry I told him to buy there. The handguards are rejects, there is serious gaposis along both sides, the firing pin is out of spec & pierces primers. He wrote them about the issues & they will not respond. He has currently replaced the firing pin & it works fine. They will get no more of my business.

........Paul
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]

1st choice: J&T
2nd choice: M&A
3rd choice: Model 1

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I would go with J&T for the simple fact that you can get either the M4 or 20" kit with a chrome-lined barrel now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a kit from M&A.  The stock was pretty rough looking.  A lot of the small springs were gunked up and unusable.  I ordered some better springs from Bushmaster.  It jammed on every shot for the first 50 shots or so.  It was my first AR and I was about ready to switch to an AK or something.  Eventually I tinkered with it and got it to run 100%.

Then I bought a kit from J&T.  It functioned 100% out of the box and all of the parts were new and looked great.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#7]

J&T uses e.r. shaw barrels, can anyone confirm their quality? i read a thread that said they suck!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

J&T uses e.r. shaw barrels, can anyone confirm their quality? i read a thread that said they suck!!!
View Quote

They don't suck. They're just not made with the same grade of steel as Colt and Bushmaster barrels. If I remember right, Shaw uses 4140 steel, which is common in the firearms industry for sporting rifles; Colt and Bushie use 4150, which is milspec. Colt and Bushmaster also habitually sell their military style barrels w/standard hard chored bores, tho Colt has been playing games w/ the plating situation in recent years. With the other makers, plating is either optional, or not available.

If you're shooting 10,000 rounds a year, or a lot of sustained full auto, the Shaw barrels will probably wear out somewhat faster, but the average shooter will never know the difference.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top