Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/9/2012 10:06:06 PM EDT
Because after 18 rounds I figured I'd already shot about as good I was going to shoot for the day so my planned afternoon of sighting in was over in about 15 minutes.

DPMS SASS - 100yds - Hornady 168gr AMAX - 7 rnds per target - 10-15mph gusty winds - IOR 3.5-10X Tactical Scope - Bipod on bench, no sandbags.

The Green Ring and the 9 Ring are both 2" circles.   For a minute on the first target I was thinking something was wrong because I was not seeing any holes through the scope.   Eventually though I always pull a flyer.  Can't avoid flinching when someone fires next to me as I'm pulling the trigger.  This is my favorite rifle of my whole collection.  Everything else is fun to shoot and all but none of them can I do this with.  I remember the gunstore monkey I transfered it through giving me crap about it saying I'd be lucky if I could get it to shoot  2" groups.

Not putting up a brag thread but I get tired of the bashing that people give them.  I have nothing but good experiance with this rifle.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 2:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Because after 18 rounds I figured I'd already shot about as good I was going to shoot for the day so my planned afternoon of sighting in was over in about 15 minutes.

DPMS SASS - 100yds - Hornady 168gr AMAX - 7 rnds per target - 10-15mph gusty winds - IOR 3.5-10X Tactical Scope - Bipod on bench, no sandbags.

http://cranehome-photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Targets/i-DRPRv7n/0/L/IMG_0951-L.jpg

http://cranehome-photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Targets/i-bdWkzwT/0/L/IMG_0952-L.jpg

http://cranehome-photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Targets/i-T84ks3k/0/L/IMG_0953-L.jpg

The Green Ring and the 9 Ring are both 2" circles.   For a minute on the first target I was thinking something was wrong because I was not seeing any holes through the scope.   Eventually though I always pull a flyer.  Can't avoid flinching when someone fires next to me as I'm pulling the trigger.  This is my favorite rifle of my whole collection.  Everything else is fun to shoot and all but none of them can I do this with.  I remember the gunstore monkey I transfered it through giving me crap about it saying I'd be lucky if I could get it to shoot  2" groups.

Not putting up a brag thread but I get tired of the bashing that people give them.  I have nothing but good experiance with this rifle.

Boy , Those DPMS's really SUCK...
I love all of mine...
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 3:15:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree.  The real haters will be along any second to piss on your parade but those of us who know, know.  There is not a darned thing wrong with DPMS but whenever you get a company that sells a bazillion products a year, of course they are going to have a higher problem NUMBER, not rate, than a company that only sells a few thousand a year.  People do not seem to realize that; they look at the number, not the rate, and get all high and mighty.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 5:53:49 AM EDT
[#3]
As another poster commented, what an awful gun, right?  Those DPMS guns just can't shoot!

Easy to see why you like it.  Don
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I am really happy I saw this as I am so undecisive as to whether I should purchase the SASS or build up the Mega MATEN receivers I have...obviously the Mega is great, but trying to get parts is going to be a pain in the ass at this juncture...any of you try taking the SASS to 1K?  Anyone try 178 AMAX's?  Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a rock river but I would not hesitate to buy a dpms if I felt the need for one . they have been in buisness for a long time and all the ones I have seen at the range seem to work just fine . I keep looking at there 338 federal chambered rifles. I dont need one but I want one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#6]
alright, I just got back from buying the SASS.  I really like that JP trigger unit...I can't wait to put rounds through this bad boy...it is built like a brick shit house!!!  The only replacements I can foresee would be the quad rail...it's a pig!  I am not certain, but maybe putting an Apex on there might shave off close to 1lb...maybe less.  The other swap will be the flash hider...I'll swap it for the PWS FSC.  

All in all, I am very pleased with this rifle.  I hope it shoots as good as the OP's.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't own a complete DPMS, i have built using a lot of DPMS parts. All have been good. I have shot a few and know owners of DPMS. None with issues. I have a DPMS MK12 barrel that only shoots .75 to 1 MOA.

It is funny to see all the hate DPMS gets, but none of them have a specific reason. They heard it from someone that heard it from some body else and so on.

Nice groups.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine are pretty boring to shoot too.
DPMS .22LR Bull Barrel, CCI Stingers

DPMS .223 carbine 55gr FMJ 24gr. 2230S
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll have to get some pic's of my groups up from yesterday.   I'm getting 100 yard groups using 168 Nosler J-4 target bullets (it also likes the 155's), 3x fired FC match cases, Varget powder,  CCI 200 primers in the .4 to .5 range.  The cases were fully prep'd, 3-5 shot groups (one flier which opened one of the groups to .75.  Our range has gongs from 200 to 500.  Using a Springfield Scope calibrated for .308 we never missed the 500 and we were wishing for gongs out to 1000.  We do have a 1000 yard Range at COSSA (Central Oregon Shooting Sport Association) but is only open for competitions.  I'll be giving that a try when it comes back on line spring 2013.  I have less than 300 rounds through it now so I still have some learning to do but I can't imagine it getting any better.  Now that the gun is squared away I can start re-learning wind drift, mirage and trajectory.  

I really never expected to get this kind of performance out of a semi-auto.  It is running with my best bolt guns that cost quite a bit more.  

Kinda fun!

Bill in OR
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The other swap will be the flash hider...I'll swap it for the PWS FSC.  

You'll like the PWS.  I have one on my crappy AP4 .308 () and the gun barrely moves.  I can stay on target or deer and actually see the hit.  Sure it's a lot louder and you do get a little air in the face, but follow up shots are easy with this brake.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate mine,too. The 14.5 inched barrel POS shoots almost as good as my Knight's SR-25 Match 24 inch barrel (at 100 yards anyway). The group pictured is 3 rounds of Hornady 150 TAP and 3 rounds of foreign milsurp head stamped 1979. I wanted to see if they shot to same POA/POI. Shot prone off of the Grip pod. Scope set at 5 power. The sub standard DPMS crap runs like a sewing machine no matter what shooting drills I'm running.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
alright, I just got back from buying the SASS.  I really like that JP trigger unit...I can't wait to put rounds through this bad boy...it is built like a brick shit house!!!  The only replacements I can foresee would be the quad rail...it's a pig!  I am not certain, but maybe putting an Apex on there might shave off close to 1lb...maybe less.  The other swap will be the flash hider...I'll swap it for the PWS FSC.  

All in all, I am very pleased with this rifle.  I hope it shoots as good as the OP's.

I have the JP trigger in my LR308 and love it. Factory set up had a little creep though. I got a JP to put in my parts built AR15 and after setting it up decided to redo the one in the .308. Feels more like my bolt guns now, no real creep or overtravel and breaks like glass.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I hate mine,too. The 14.5 inched barrel POS shoots almost as good as my Knight's SR-25 Match 24 inch barrel (at 100 yards anyway). The group pictured is 3 rounds of Hornady 150 TAP and 3 rounds of foreign milsurp head stamped 1979. I wanted to see if they shot to same POA/POI. Shot prone off of the Grip pod. Scope set at 5 power. The sub standard DPMS crap runs like a sewing machine no matter what shooting drills I'm running.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well, if it had cost $1500 more you'd be able to like it better ;)

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well, if it had cost $1500 more you'd be able to like it better ;)

You beat me to it, LOL!!!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#15]
This is gonna be a dumb question but...   How long is your DPMS SASS rifle?

I have a double rifle bag and am putting together essentially what you have piece by piece...  I'm curious to see if it'll fit or if there is a new bag on the horizon.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#16]
VERY nice groups!  I'm loving (oh, yeah hating) my DPMS'based LR-308 too.  20" barrel on mine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#17]
My 16" turd Oracle LR-308 shoots 1 MOA groups with pretty much everything I've run through it. I despise it...
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top