Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2002 2:04:58 PM EDT
I have a chance at 800 rnds of Malaysian ammo, it looks nice and clean and is in 20rnd boxs in an 820rnd GI ammo can.
Is this brass reloadable?
The guy want $80, so at 10 cents a shot it sounds ok to me, but thought I would check with you guys first.

Thanks,  Lee
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say that it is probably worth that. Most people think highly of the Malaysian. Heck, you can't get 500 rds of new production M193 spec ammo for $80, so if it's in good condition, you can't go wrong. I can't remember if this stuff is berdan or boxer primed, but I am thinking it is boxer. I'm sure someone else will know.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff, and boxer primed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Its boxer primed so its easily reloadable, however,here is an ammo review:Malaysian 55Gn:
Used to be very common and inexpensive, had problems with excessive pressure, blown primers and fragile brass. the supply of this seems to have dried up. Submitted by: [email protected]

I have shot hundreds of rounds of the Malaysian mil-surp ammo through both an AR and a Mini-14.  It functions flawlessly through both types, including a 180 series Mini that was rusted shut when I bought it.  Can't say what the accuracy was, as I was plinking, but I didn't have a single hiccup.  No problems with the brass, either. It does, however, STINK.  I think it's from guanadine nitrate in the powder, but I'm not sure.  It is also dirty; after 60 rounds at very rapid fire through a new SS Mini, the slip-on flash suppressor had bubbling brown goo where it met the barrel.  Powder residue of some sort, I suppose. Other than that, I highly recommend it.
grabbed review from [url]http://www.aaconsult.com/ammoreview/html/_223_reviews.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally love the stuff and buy it whenever it turns up for sale. It is definitely hard to come by nowadays. At that price you can't beat it IMO.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I want it for plinking/blasting ammo. I can't reload for that price, besides reloading in quantity on my single stage press gets old.
I will probably get the stuff from the guy.

Lee
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't know the year of manufature, but when I trained with the Malaysian (Army) Rangers in 1988 infantrymen carried 7.62 FALs and the officers carried Colt 5.56 Carbines.  Don't know if that's specifically why they made 5.56 though.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top