Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/26/2004 7:23:28 AM EST
Hello,

What's your opinion? Can this be done? Would it be better to pick up a stainless steel barrel for this project and then refinish it with some Moly Resin? What about SPR brake and collar, who sells these, I mean real ones for threaded barrels?

I'd really like to have an SPR upper but I'm a bit on budget here, so I need to cut a few corners.

Best.

Petri
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:42:02 AM EST
Eventually, this is what I am going to do to get an SPRish type gun. I have a 20" bushie hbar coming in and I will send if off to ADCO to have it cut and threaded. I think I am going to go for about 17.75" or so.

It just depends on exactly how close to real SPR you want to get. If you want really close, I would get one of the ADCO barrels.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:05:57 AM EST
Vector Joe,

If a 20" SS barrel is machined to SPR specs there's no tellin' whether it's a real deal or not. Of course it will be with different twist but there's no tellin' just by the looks.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:17:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2004 9:17:42 AM EST by mongo001]
Finn,

You're right, it can be done. You just need the profile specs. Other than the 18" length, an HBAR barrel, like Bushy or Colt is probably really close as is, close enough to not justify any more machining and refinishing. So all you need is the Ops Inc style FH setup and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:06:33 AM EST
I am doing this same thing...I have a WOA SS 20 inch service rifle upper that I just picked up off the EE. The barrel is being cut to 18in and threaded. Instead of the collar and OPS Inc brake, I substituted a vortex. Rail system will be a DD 12.0. It will be mated to a bushmaster lower with a KAC 2 stage trigger that I picked up. Still not sure on optics.

If I had not found the used WOA upper I was going to buy one of the postban uppers that Delton is selling. Get the complete posty upper with B, C, CH for $299, cut and thread the barrel for $60 , add a PRI flip gasblock for $180, DD for $300, and vortex for $50. Total would have been about $890.

Once you add in the optics and mount and bipod you are looking at anywhere from 1500-2500 depending on optics.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:24:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2004 11:24:52 AM EST by mongo001]

Originally Posted By flashooter:
I am doing this same thing...I have a WOA SS 20 inch service rifle upper that I just picked up off the EE. The barrel is being cut to 18in and threaded. Instead of the collar and OPS Inc brake, I substituted a vortex. Rail system will be a DD 12.0. It will be mated to a bushmaster lower with a KAC 2 stage trigger that I picked up. Still not sure on optics.

Can I tempt you with one of these:

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:57:52 AM EST
Mongo,

Where could I get an ops-inc brake and a collar and how much they run for??? Also, will the collar fit HBAR? How is it fasten to the barrel?

If I use an 18 inch stainless heavy barrel do I need to get it machined so that I can fit the collar and the PRI sight??? Also, does a real SPR barrel have 2 step cuts or just one? What are the barrel diameters?

Thanks.

Petri
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:56:47 PM EST
Mongo,
Whats the possibility of building a real Ops Inc style brake since you actually have the equipment to try it?
Here is what I'm thinking. Get an actual Ops Inc 4 port brake (the one readily available for us civvies from Brownells, etc.). Since I dont have a brake to look at, maybe somebody else can chime in but would it be possible to cut off the 2 forward most ports, leaving you almost with the SPR brake's look. Then turn down the forward portion of the brake and thread the rear portion for the thread protector similar to what you did with the Vortex.
This will leave you with about as close as is easily available to a real SPR brake as you can get without paying $250 from MSTN, etc. Of course this would only work if there is a fairly solid chunk of metal between the forward and rear ports.
I'd be willing to foot the bill for the brake if you think it can be done successfully..as long as I get one! I.M. or email me if you want to discuss it further.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:21:44 PM EST
Mongo,
Are you going to start selling those?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:23:05 PM EST
MSTN carries Ops Inc stuff, but generally he doesn't sell the brakes without the barrels. ADCO was making fake ones, like the one on my SPR, but I only see the fake brake, and not the collar.

I can make whatever anybody wants, as long as you can give me some type of dimensions or idea of what it is you want. I can copy anything I have also, if that's what you want.

Lawman, email sent.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:37:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By Krazny13:
Mongo,
Are you going to start selling those?

Email sent.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:02:48 PM EST
Mongo, I'd be interested as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:54:40 AM EST
Here is what I did:

Lathe Project

Top Top