Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/11/2004 6:42:38 PM EST
I've been going through old posts on some of the advantages of using an H-buffer. Given the number of CAR buffers that I would like to convert, the least desirable option is to buy all new H-buffers. So I was wondering if anybody had successfully converted a normal CAR buffer to an H-buffer by either adding or changing the type/number of weights in the buffer body - and if so, what components were used.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:52:24 PM EST
Cylindrical tungsten fishing weights.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:33:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By Raptor22:
Cylindrical tungsten fishing weights.

Where and how much? I didn't know such a thing existed, but with all of the stuff about "green" ammo, I am not suprised that such a thing exists. Wal-Mart?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:58:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2004 9:04:23 AM EST by Not_A_Llama]
Hmm, what size? I've been looking, and it looks like these are the best candidate:

http://www.cabelas.com/information/Fishing/ExcaliburTungstenWeights0017580.html
http://www.lakeforktackle.com/weights.htm
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:24:45 AM EST
I'm going to take a trip out to Galyans and WalMart to see what they have. Looks like the weights in the original tube are 0.54" in diameter (with a inner buffer diameter of 0.57") and there's about 2.2" of overall to work with in the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:03:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2004 12:07:17 PM EST by IDHunt]
I have done it by replacing the cylinders with 50 cal lead balls that I smash with a vice until they are the right diameter to fit in the buffer. It is just over 110 grams when I do that.

IDHunt
--
The Bill of Rights: Void Where Prohibited by Law

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:11:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2004 6:31:38 PM EST by Engineer]
After a day of running around to different sporting goods stores, I'm happy to report that the project is a success. I ended up using 3/4 ounce Excalibur Tungsten Barrel Weights which I found at Galyans. I picked the 3/4 ounce weight over the 1 ounce weight because dimensionally, three of the 3/4 ounce weights would fit inside a CAR buffer body. The leftover space was then filled in with #8 shot from a cannibalized shotgun shell.

Total weight after the transplant was 4.2 ounces which is a little heavier than a 3.8 ounce H-buffer. Compared with lead, the tungsten weights aren't cheap - I paid $3.99 for two weights - so total cost to retrofit each buffer was $6 plus whatever a shotgun shell cost.

I might have to try IDHunt's idea as National Bullet is down the street and they have .530 diameter lead balls at 25 for $8. If you don't mind me asking, how many lead balls did you end up using per buffer?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:47:17 PM EST
I don't think that lead would be a very good idea. It is just going to peen and then the buffer will jam up and no longer be antibounce.
Top Top