Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/20/2004 8:36:12 PM EST
In my venture to become a Gunsmith, I wanted to know if any of you knew where I could get the machinery to build an AR-15 or any rifle/pistol from scratch... Any info would be appreciated. I'm in the process of getting all proper permits,licenses, etc. and I wanted to get a heads up on equip. and how much I'm looking on spending. Thanks.

SW1
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:43:53 PM EST
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you a competent machinst? Even starting with a "0%" lower (solid chunk of 7075 aluminum that needs magwell and firecontrol cut out, etc, etc, etc) it takes a lot of time to end up with a functional lower reciever.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:47:37 PM EST
Oh, and if you're talking about doing the type of work I'm thinking you're wanting to do, you'll need a mill, and a lathe would probably be nice as well, and those can run anywhere from 'really good deal on ebay' to several 10s of thousands of dollars for brand-spankin-new-top-of-the-line stuff.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:25:59 PM EST
Not as of yet... I just wanted to get an idea how much it would cost to acquire the equip.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:42:41 PM EST
A lot. Spend 130 and get a 80% instead.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:57:58 AM EST
SilentWarrior1....I welcome another option for buying a lower, perhaps from you. But I'd hate to see you potentially lose your ass with equipment and overhead on a weapon that is really easily available already to the masses. And it would be damn hard to justify your prices due to overhead against other proven companies. IT CAN WORK......but I don't wanna lose that much sleep at night! Hats off to you bro' good luck as well
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:37:16 AM EST
First, define what you mean "from scratch." Do you want to manufacture barrels, recievers, plastic components, etc?

To manufacture every component in an AR, I can't imagine you'd be able to start up with less than $250K worth of equipment, and even that is probably on the low side. Heck, your CNC software package would probably run $5K or more.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:13:41 AM EST
hmmm... maybe buying blank parts and stamping them would be cheaperhinking.gif... thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:48:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By SilentWarrior1:
hmmm... maybe buying blank parts and stamping them would be cheaperhinking.gif... thanks for the heads up.

There really aren't any stamped parts on an AR-maybe the door on the upper?

Try looking for Roderus custom on the web. That guy does lots of 80% and 0% projects, and that should give you an idea what's involved in making a gun from 'near-scratch.'

Larry
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:22:40 AM EST
Let's go at this another way:
How much do you think you can spend on setting yourself up?

CNC machines are really expensive, as in 10's of thousands on the low end I believe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:41:27 AM EST
Sure it could be done. But you'll spend a lot of money and learn a lot along the way. At the very least you'll need a good size mill and lathe, a barrel making machine, an injection molding machine for the furniture, a furnace to smelt your own ore, hmmm, a decent lab area to refine and create the plastics, ummm, will you be mining the ore as well?

All kidding aside you'd need a good mill and lathe and a lot time.

Check out www.homegunsmith.com/ for a lot of good home gunsmithing info.
Top Top