Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2003 11:07:09 AM EDT
Hello I want to cut down a lw 20 barrel to make a dissapator style barrel will this work or will it need to have a new gas port drilled closer to the receiver. I noticed on the dissapater photos i have looked at that
they have gas ports under the handgaurds at carbine lenth is this necessary or is having it at the original
lenth out ok.

I have read that is really hard to drill a gas port cause it needs to twist channel,

Also does any one know if they make a do it yourself crown tool for .223

Thanks

Bill
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Making a dissy out of a 20" barrel has been done. No need to drill another gas port, and you use a rifle length gas tube. You will need to have the stock gas port opened up to work with the shorter barrel length.
IIRC, Troy had KKF do this to a 20" 1/7 barrel.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:52:50 AM EDT
[#2]
brownells sells a variety of crowning tools.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:57:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.

On the brownells tools are they pretty easy to use ?

Thanks

Bill
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]

You might also want to consider shortening it to an 18" barrel, which some are discovering is a good compromise between the short and long barrels.
With an 18", there's no need to mess with the gas port size, and it looks good too.
I'll second Brownell's as THE place to buy gun tools and stuff. Once you get their catalog, it becomes a disease....

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 2:55:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree Brownells is the place to shop, more expensive for regular purchasing for some items but the smith tools are excellent. I order as a gun smith so I save around 120.00 per order and they only charge a 7.50 shipping fee for orders via UPS. Excellent customer service and fast shipping for any size order you throw to them, highly recommended.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top