Tag.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmm......
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Makin' our own explosive compund.  Oh boy, this is gonna be good.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#6]
They're not that close to figuring it out yet, and if they keep messing with those sulfur mixes It'll just be a matter of time before Murphy wakes up.hJust spend the money on some, follow the directions and have fun.
Just a bit of advice, if you've never used it, it is a bit of an attention getter so get a few miles away from whiney neighbors or you'll be meeting the local PD.
BB
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Makin' our own explosive compund.  Oh boy, this is gonna be good.

I figure I could find someone to try it I'm looking for the stuff but, I figured we could find out if someone tried this on this site
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.roguesci.org/theforum/archive/index.php/t-294

anyone try this?

I ordered the how to plans from a board member. It seems to work pretty good. Here's the link: http://members.cox.net/rjring/    Scan to the bottom of the page.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want to know how to make Tannerite, just reat the patent at USPTO.  No need to buy anything.  

Tannerite however is not expensive.  I think you are all better off buying direct from Tannerite than trying to buy ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder (I can see big FED red flags on thin one!):)
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd be interested in the cost difference between making your own and Daniel's stuff. We've been doing an annual "Tannerite shoot" for the past 4 years and it gets very expensive. The finale every year is a single 10lb charge. Top that 10lb charge off with an open 5 gallon bucket of diesel fuel and a few pre-lit road flares and you get quite a show.

As a note: for our shoot we have off duty law enforcement as range safety, paramedics and a fire truck at every event. Tannerite is fun but when you start to up the charges or get "creative" with this stuff you had better be prepared for anything.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I just re-visited the Tannerite site, http://www.tannerite.com/
It now says it can be set off with any bullet....In the video that comes with a case it said a .22 (rimfire) wasn't energenic enough to 'touch 'er off' . Although it wasn't recomended to shoot at close range w/a .22rf..... just in case.
Great stuff. Can't speak highly enough about it. I'd grab some up before you can't.
I'm not a spokesman or anything involed with the company or Dan but, I do love a great idea/product and I hope he makes enough to retire on.

First time Tannerite use:
bang
BOOM!!!!!
"holy Shit!"
hock.gif

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Tannerite however is not expensive.  I think you are all better off buying direct from Tannerite than trying to buy ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder (I can see big FED red flags on thin one!) :)

+1

With the war on terror, I can guarantee that you will be bugged, phone tapped and paid a visit by the feds... All of that will happen without you even knowing it... You've been warned...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#14]
They have had that debate going on for a couple of years now.

Ammonium nitrate and powdered AL works just fine. You have to crush the AN very fine-use a bender, or better yet, a old hand powered coffee grinder works. Just store the AN is a plastic container or it will soak up water. You can use fertilizer but you have to get the stuff that is mostly nitrogen. Cant remeber the mix ratio right now.

AL powder- you have to get the really fine stuff- German. Order it from a fireworks supplier- Normal people can only get 1lb per year which aint much. Or you can get a ball mill (cheap) and make as much as you want. everything you need

Now all the naysayers can chime in and say this won't work, yada, yada. It works just fine and a hell of a lot cheaper. You have to figure out the correct amounts. I use 2 TBS AL to coke bottle (small) of AN.

Somebody on this board also had this recipie last year.

Disclaimer: Dont use any of this information or you may end up killing yourself.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#15]
FWIW,
We did get a visit once at the gravel pit where we shoot, I would've had a hard time explaining 'home-made' reactive targets to the local LEO's. Save yourself a big headache and possible legal problems and get the real deal.

Oh, and above I said the video mentioned .22rf, now that I have thought about if for a bit, It used to say "needs a centerfire rifle cartridge". Guess I need to re-order :-)

Top that 10lb charge off with an open 5 gallon bucket of diesel fuel and a few pre-lit road flares and you get quite a show.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<That wasn't in the instructional video.headBB
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Top that 10lb charge off with an open 5 gallon bucket of diesel fuel and a few pre-lit road flares and you get quite a show.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<That wasn't in the instructional video.
Use your head people, this isn't the counrty it used to be.
BB

Not sure if you're saying that we're not using our heads concerning our "10lb" charges. If that is what you are saying I'll reiterate and expand on this.... range safety are all off duty State Police, we have already had a visit from the ATF giving us the green flag (probably biting their lips but we still got the thumbs-up). We have paramedics and a fire truck on site. All of us running the shoot are either current military, former military (to include EOD personnel) and some are in-between..... still in the game in the private sector. Knobb Creek does this twice a year on a much bigger scale.
If I read into your comment wrong then please disregard the above rant.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#18]
It's all fun and games until someone loses a hand.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#19]
i thought tannerite comes with specific intructions on use?

sounds like some here do it their own way.
a little extra fun may ruin it for all.......

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i thought tannerite comes with specific intructions on use?

sounds like some here do it their own way.
a little extra fun may ruin it for all.......

I guess you'd better call Knob Creek and let them know as well. If "a little extra" is such a bad thing even when exercising the utmost safety along with qualified personnel running the show AND getting the OK from the ATF  then you must only own pellet guns. Anything larger would simply be "too much extra" thus "ruining it for all". We're not talking weapons grade plutonium here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Just go to uspto.gov and read the patent. That thread has some very stupid things in it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Just go to uspto.gov and read the patent. That thread has some very stupid things in it.

+1, I made the stuff for years just for fun. Only a fool would use potassium clorate in any compound today.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Mark82nd,
Wasn't refering to you or others in a controled environment or those in the know. It's the young and/or numb crowd of Darwin Award nominees I worry about.
No offence was meant.
For the folks who haven't had the opportunity to use the stuff or seen it used, follow directions, distances, respect it, be safe and have a back up plan(extinguishers ect) if your getting creative.

Remember Murphy's law
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Havent tried any...yet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:36:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Mark82nd,
Wasn't refering to you or others in a controled environment or those in the know. It's the young and/or numb crowd of Darwin Award nominees I worry about.
No offence was meant.
For the folks who haven't had the opportunity to use the stuff or seen it used, follow directions, distances, respect it, be safe and have a back up plan(extinguishers ect) if your getting creative.

Remember Murphy's law

Ok, thanks bunker_bob. You do make a strong point and I should have said in my original post what you stated above especially the underlined part. On the 10lb charges the shooters position is 550 yards away.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I bet at 550 yds you still know when you hit it  ;-)  I've been thinking about the tanker charges and just can't find anyplace that's remote enough for me. The thump on the 1/2 pounders carries for miles.
Sadly, It's just a matter of time before these awesome reactive targets are a thing of the past because nothing this fun stays unregulated for long.
Damn, all this T-talk makes me want to hear some noise hty.gif
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#27]
the mix posted that contained chlorate +  sulfur + antimony trisulfide = a very bad day. if you value your limbs and life dont mix them together...just buy the tannerite it's safer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#28]
It is technically not illegal to make your own tannerite but should someone want to make you look like you are manufacturing explosives it would be very easy.

AN and powdered Al and Ti is all it takes. The Ti is not necessary but it creates a great concussion.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't think this has been mentioned here yet but when our annual Tannerite shoot was being "checked into" some years back by the ATF the only thing that was said was that it's OK to mix the binary chemicals on site and detonate them on site but what would be a NO-NO is the transportation of a MIXED target in (or on) any vehicle. To transport it in its un-mixed state is OK.  Basically don't mix the targets at home and then transport to the range. Again, this was some years back but I'm sure nothing has changed. Daniel I believe states this now in his instructions and I think this is just common sense but I thought I would mention it anyways.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#30]
taggg
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#31]
MtDew69>

the mix posted that contained chlorate + sulfur + antimony trisulfide = a very bad day. if you value your limbs and life dont mix them together...just buy the tannerite it's safer.

Your right, that's a way no no. chlorate,S and metal fuel= death mix.
Old Pyro's and Bold Pyro's....but no Old Bold Pyros.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Tannerite however is not expensive.  

It is when you realize you can make the stuff for less then 1/3 of Tannerites prices.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#33]
tag
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top