Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2004 5:29:33 AM EDT
One month after the AWB sunset, still no cheap and reliable 7.62 mags on the market. Thinking about making my own Franken mags since I’ve got a few steel NATO mags lying around.
Plan A: cut and weld to AK 20 or 30-rounders, cheapest solution.
Plan B: cut and weld to Mini-30 20 or 30-rounders, cost more but probably look better, won’t curl up as much as the USA Frankens.
Plan C: cut and weld to Chinese AK 75-rounder drum, same drum still cost $2-300 but kinda risky to ruin $100 drum.
I have access to a metal shop but probably cold weld with JBWeld would be good enough. Anyone else thinking about doing the same thing? Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking about this type of project for quite some time.  I bought some british steel 30 rd. mags for the top section and have all kinds of ak-47 mags for the bottom.  Cutting the mags & welding them together won't be a problem,(I have a TIG welder) but! the vertical ribs in the mags are in different locations, (niether follower will fit in both mags.    Also the difference in width of the mags will create a transition area that the follower will have to pass over smoothly.  I have never seen a detailed picture of the frankenmag , I wonder what they use for a follower and how the mag body is constructed.  I'm still in the thinking stage on this project, hav'nt started cutting yet!  Still hope someone will start making a good 7.62x39 mag for the AR.   Anyone tried the 6.8 mag with 7.62x39 ammo? Good Luck, ALLONS11
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top