Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 4:29:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2004 5:19:03 AM EST by ar15seeker]
One month after the AWB sunset, still no cheap and reliable 7.62 mags on the market. Thinking about making my own Franken mags since I’ve got a few steel NATO mags lying around.
Plan A: cut and weld to AK 20 or 30-rounders, cheapest solution.
Plan B: cut and weld to Mini-30 20 or 30-rounders, cost more but probably look better, won’t curl up as much as the USA Frankens.
Plan C: cut and weld to Chinese AK 75-rounder drum, same drum still cost $2-300 but kinda risky to ruin $100 drum.
I have access to a metal shop but probably cold weld with JBWeld would be good enough. Anyone else thinking about doing the same thing? Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:35:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2004 8:52:15 AM EST by ALLONS11]
I've been thinking about this type of project for quite some time. I bought some british steel 30 rd. mags for the top section and have all kinds of ak-47 mags for the bottom. Cutting the mags & welding them together won't be a problem,(I have a TIG welder) but! the vertical ribs in the mags are in different locations, (niether follower will fit in both mags. Also the difference in width of the mags will create a transition area that the follower will have to pass over smoothly. I have never seen a detailed picture of the frankenmag , I wonder what they use for a follower and how the mag body is constructed. I'm still in the thinking stage on this project, hav'nt started cutting yet! Still hope someone will start making a good 7.62x39 mag for the AR. Anyone tried the 6.8 mag with 7.62x39 ammo? Good Luck, ALLONS11
Top Top