Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2002 3:14:37 AM EDT
OK. Call me cheap, but I also like to make my own stuff when possible (keeps me out of the bars in the winter!) Has anyone ever made their own tactical sling?  If so I would appreciate an e-mail or post with the instructions.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I made a sling I like.  it's a cross body design for front of chest carry but if you make the sling a little longer you can reverse it and wear it across your back.  
it's not fancy but it works.
I installed a uncle mike's sling stud in the top of the butt plate of my AR-15.  the stud points up (when the rifle is shouldered) and the hole runs left to right not down the length of the rifle.  I used the one for wood stocks.  then I used a 1 1/4" sling swivel on the back and a long piece of 1 1/4" leather strap.  I like leather because it has more body than nylon and is less likely to get twisted.  when you shoulder the weapon the swivel rides on the top of your right shoulder and runs across and down your back and comes out from under your left armpit.  it then runs up to the forearm.  I have been attaching it to the barrel inside the front sight housing with another sling swivel and a 6" piece of paracord.  the paracord "loop" let's the center of pressure slip as I move the rifle so there is no torquing like a traditional mount.  I made the sling extra long so I can twist my left arm into the sling and "lock it up"  it's as tight as a high power rifle sling.  the sling swivel is held in place with threaded rivets.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Try the Maryland AR15 site.  They have a do it your self section that has directions on how to make a tactical sling.  Looked good and should only cost you $5-$10
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is the link show how to make several types of slings:

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/howtoprojects.msnw
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 3:40:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys!!!  The Maryland site is great.  I was not aware of it.

Now I've got to figure out a way to attach the tactical sling to the front end.  I have a 4 rail gas block with no front site.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 3:10:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Completed making the sling yesterday using the instructions found on the Maryland site.  Total cost was about $10.00 and it is perhaps better than the $40-70.00 commercial tact slings.

I used 1.5" webbing for the sling itself and 1.25" webbing for the butt and handguard attachments. Tried 1", but didn't like it.

Since my AR has a 4 rail gas block I had no place to attach the front.  However, I had several old shorty handguards so I took one of them and neatly cut slots in them (similar to a belt loop) then threaded the front attachment strap through and replaced the heat shield over the strap where it passes on the inside of the handguard.  Looks and functions well and beats the heck out of paying $40.00 for a picatinny sling adaptor.

Also made some loose end "keepers" out of black elastic for both the sling and attachment straps.

All in all the whole thing really looks good.

Thanks again for the help!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 3:35:43 AM EDT
[#6]
heres a cool one
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top